Questions for those born or raised in the truth

by The wanderer 44 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer
    Raised in the organization

For those of you who were raised in the organization could
    you provide some insight as to what the life of one of
    Jehovah's Witnesses was like having been born into it?

What was it like not participating in sports, holidays and
    school activities in general?

Finding out it was not real

Having been taught that the religion was the truth
    since birth, what was your reaction on finding out
    that it was not the "truth."

For those not born into the organization

Not having been born into the organization I believe
    was advantageous in the end. There were no family
    ties for me to concern myself with when the decision
    was made to leave. This in itself made the adjust-
    ment easier.

Would anyone like to share?

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I was "born" in the "truth". I guess that at the time I figured that it was a normal life. I believed we had good reasons for not celebrating holidays and birthdays, so I never really felt left out. There were times that I felt pressured to do something that I had been told was wrong. So, fear of compromising my belief stood out more than any desire to participate. In retrospect, I think it would have done me a world of good to have had more social interaction with my peers in school, but I think I have managed to compensate.
    After 38 years, finding out the truth about "The Truth" has been a revelation. It is like some cruel joke really. Most of my family is still "inside" and can't see that they believe a LIE. Oh, the irony! Being told all one's life that "this is it!", and "it" turns out to be one big fat LIE!
    Dave

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Being raised a JW is difficult because of the many embarrasing moments, like sitting when everyone stood for the queen and rememberance day, or leaving the room when the class had the easter bunny etc. But you are told by your parents how special you are for doing it, and will not get destroyed at Armageddon like the others, so it seems worth it as a child.

What I found most shocking was finding it was all a lie. For 10 years I fought accepting it was a lie so was quite miserable living something I couldn't quite believe. When I finally had the courage to accept the facts I suffered from an extreme amount of Post Traumatic Shock Disorder. There are several things leaving causes if raised a JW:

• Having to accept old age and death
    • Loosing your entire circle of friends and family that has been developed since birth
    • Create personal boundaries since all were previously forced on you by an Organization that you no longer trust
    • Re-evaluate your perceptions of God, religion and the meaning of life

To this day, every time i see a "worldly person" doing something nice I still feel shock and have to remind myself that in general 'worldly people' are as sincere and kind as JWs.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Well, seeing as how I didn't have anything else to compare it to, I can't really explain how it was growing up as a JW. I didn't really miss any of the holidays - I didn't want to celebrate them, as I believed they were wrong and bad. I remember birthdays being an issue in school and once I ate a cupcake without knowing it was wrong. Anyway, once I found out I tried to be nonchalant (sp?) about it in the future, so I wouldn't have to be so embarrassed. Saluting the flag sucked - I would try to mimie the words to make it look like I was saying th epledge of allegiance, so it was very awkward.

When I found out it wasn't the truth I was very angry, confused, heartbroken, lonely, depressed, but it was worth it because I could feel the shakles coming off my mind... I was truly free, free of the WT load.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

1) What was it like not participating in sports, holidays and school activities in general?

- It sucked. It wasn`t actually not celebrating christmas and birthdays that sucked, it was being different from the others. Around christmas-time, and the other kids were making decorations for the the christmas trees, etc, maybe sing and walk around the tree, and while all that was happening, I sat in the corner of the classroom and pretended to do homework. I just sat there, sooo embarassad about being different, I wanted the ground to just swallow me whole. Same thing with birthdays: I don`t know what sucked more, having to come up with excuses and with a red face try to explain why I couldn`t come (without going into details about my stupid religion), or when they stopped asking, because they had finally realised I was weird. It wasn`t really not being able to participate that sucked, it was the feeling of always being different, excluded. I was "special", and I never wanted to be.

2) Having been taught that the religion was the truth since birth, what was your reaction on finding out that it was not the "truth"

- Part of me always knew. No great revelation. It`s hard to explain, on the one hand (with the heart and emotions), I kind of believed, on the other hand (with the brain), I never really believed. I looked around at my classmates in the classroom, thinking "can Jehovah really kill all these kids, just because their parents aren`t Jehovahs Witnesses?". In my mind, I knew that it couldn`t be the case, the religion had to be wrong. On the other hand, emotionally, I was trained and indoctrinated to believe (with the non-sensical part of my brain), and dreaded the day when Jehovah was gonna kill all my classmates. Breaking out was all a matter of thinking clearly, getting the analytical, rational part of the brain to try to take some control over the emotional part. But of course, the emotional part is always going to be part of all those who were raised jws. A neverending feeling/aura of doom, and expectations of an approaching horror. That`s the mindset we were trained into having, and it`s always going to be a part of me, that`s for sure.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Let's see. No sports in school or the community, even if you were very good at it, even if you enjoyed it, and even if you were a "fat kid" and it might have done you some good.

No afterschool or extracurricular activities at all. This means no trying out for parts in a play, and in fact no even going to plays put on by the school outside of school time because there will be too much worldly association. No afterschool clubs or hanging around wordly kids after school. No school dances either even when they were in school time because I'm sure elementary school dances leads to loose conduct and all that..

No choir or band unless they are in class and part of the curriculum. No trips even if they are part of the curriculum because of bad association. And of course if they are doing holiday music or patriotic songs you couldn't take part in that.

No holiday activities. Leaving the room when a classmate had "happy birthday" sung to them, or sitting out while they played birthday games. No coloring Santa or making an Easter Egg basket. Having to go to the library for Veteran's/Memorial/Remembrance day and being the only one not wearing a poppy.

Having to make excuses for why you can't go to your school friend's houses until they think that you don't like them and stop asking you to do anything or choosing you first for a partner etc. In fact if you didn't have school friends at all that showed you were an even better example. When I finally left and was at a worldly party for the first time it was the weirdest feeling ever. I knew these people, I recognized them and yet the entire thing felt very surreal. And there was none of the debauchery I had led to believe was the thing of the world, it was just good fun and not having too worry that something I said might reveal I wasn't a true believer anymore.

Then there was the national anthem. It has taken me forever to conquer the instinctive heart racing, wanting to throw up, dizzying panic I felt as soon as I heard please rise or any other such introductory phrase. And the entire set of symptoms that continued through the entire song and only started to ebb 5-10 minutes after it was done. In third grade the national anthem was played every morning so that we could all learn it properly and of course whether you participate or not learn it you did. My mother used to tell me to try and hum kingdom melodies so it wouldn't get in my head but that never worked. In sixth grade we got a new principal and he decreed it would be played every morning AND every night and we were now to learn the French version as well. So now I know two sets of lyrics which are both "forbidden" by JW standards and go through the ordeal twice per night. And of course it was played at assemblies as well. One of the proudest moments of my life was singing the national anthem at my grade 12 awards ceremony while some of the JWs were out of the room and the rest were sitting. Even though I choked several times because of nerves I managed to get through the whole thing, bilingual parts included. I still get a reaction every time it's played but it's starting to calmn down now. Once I had a teacher bodily drag three of us JW kids up because we were sitting during the national anthem. And another time I had a teacher whispering in my ear during the ceremony for not singing.

If you got through all that there was the fact that we were always always out of "style". JW clothes were neat, clean and ultimately made you stand out like a sore thumb. And you didn't stand out in a "unique and original style" sort of way, you stood out in a clueless hick moves to the big city sort of way. Even having second holes in your earlobes was considered bad here. As well as using too much makeup and fadish haircuts.

Then there were classmates talking about the latest movies they'd seen, their favorite bands, tv shows, video games. And of course whatever was in was somehow bad so again you were an outsider with nothing to talk about to them.

Seeing kids come back with $500 dollar christmas presents and trying to pretend you weren't deprived was tough too. The "we get presents at other times of year" was nice to say but lots of JW kids I knew didn't and the ones that did quite often got a $20 gift certifcate and a pat on the head not a new Playstation with six games. I have to say I was compensated rather well with candy for not having halloween, but I loved dressing up as a kid and I would have enjoyed trick or treating immensely. By the time I left I was too old.

Then there is the cluelessness. There seems to be so many unwritten rules of gift giving. The whos, the how muches, the when to opens, the what to buys. I still find holidays and birthdays very awkward for this reason. Unwritten social rules as well that just seem to mark you as different, even years later.

Then there comes the idea of employment. When you are in school you have Saturday, Sunday and from say 4pm-10pm for work availability maybe as a student. Throw in a meeting sunday morning, service saturday morning, and sacrifice 2 nights a week. Now compare that to a kid who is available the entire time slot and who are they going to hire? Small job pool, lots of students. Guess what it's hard to find work. I put up with a lot of people saying I was lazy, stupid and worthless because when I would try to find a job I couldn't. It has taken me 2 and half years to finally have some confidence that things will work out and I can find employment when I need it.

I remember having to carry my blood card everywhere with me. And being embarrassed when it said JW on my medical records. I wore a fanny pack when we went skiing with the class and people kept asking about it and it was very awkward. Then there were school barbecues where I couldn't eat hotdogs with everyone else because they might have blood in them. Mom would send "good" hotdogs for me to have cooked but that would have made me look even more weird..so I just told people I was allergic to hotdogs and lived off the potato chips and pop. Sometimes I'd eat a bun with ketchup on it because I was hungry and if I stood far enough away people thought I was eating a hotdog and not as weird.

Mostly I remember just feeling clueless and out of place all the time. As if no matter how hard I tried I would always be different, would never fit in. I never knew what they were talking about, or else I never knew the way they talked about it.

--------------------

On finding out it wasn't real? Disbelief at first of course. I mean I was raised from birth knowing I had the one true faith and belief and that we were all somehow superior. That if we had to deceive people into becoming witnesses that was okay because ultimately we were doing the right thing. Then of course there was a deepseated insecurity that shook me right to the bones because all of a sudden where there were answers there were none and everything had to be rethought. Of course that led to confusion because of how much there was out there to think about and ponder and ultimately incorporate into myself. Then there was the anger at what a load of crap it all was and like a house of cards it came tumbling down.

If you have specific questions or want me to clarify anything feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help any way I can. This goes for anyone not just the OP.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious
    Saluting the flag sucked - I would try to mimie the words to make it look like I was saying th epledge of allegiance, so it was very awkward.

I used to do that with the national anthem. Then my mom told me that we have to stand out as different and if people around us think that we are saying it it is as bad as saying it. She said it was still an act of worship to do what I was doing anyway because even if the words weren't coming out of my mouth they were in my head just like when we pray.

In retrospect, I think it would have done me a world of good to have had more social interaction with my peers in school, but I think I have managed to compensate.

I still tell people I feel socially retarded and I'm not sure what to do to compensate for it.

Most of my family is still "inside" and can't see that they believe a LIE.

It's kind of like when you learn how a magic trick is done and you can't understand why people are still fooled by something so obvious. If only the truth could be explained away to believers as easily as you can explain away a trick to an audience.

I don`t know what sucked more, having to come up with excuses and with a red face try to explain why I couldn`t come (without going into details about my stupid religion), or when they stopped asking, because they had finally realised I was weird.

That was my experience too. When I left one of my friends told me they stopped asking because they thought I didn't like them and they found it embarassing that their hospitality was turned down over and over again so they decided to save us both the embarassment.

It wasn`t really not being able to participate that sucked, it was the feeling of always being different, excluded. I was "special", and I never wanted to be.

Yes that is exactly how I felt. Or at least I didn't want to be special in that way. I wouldn't have minded being a genius or drop dead gorgeous but please someone take away this weird religion!

Re-evaluate your perceptions of God, religion and the meaning of life

Is our purpose just to live 70 or 80 years and then die? That line kept echoing in my head during that entire stage of my life. Indeed those are lifetime questions to solve but I think most ex-JWs feel some kind of pressure to resolve it all immediately because they are used to having all the answers.

Having to accept old age and death

I still have trouble with this one. I just can't imagine a cessation of consciousness, not being there to see what is happening. I always hated feeling left out.

Create personal boundaries since all were previously forced on you by an Organization that you no longer trust
    Definitely, and morality as well. How much drinking is too much? How far would you go on a first date? What words come out of your mouth when you drop something on your toe? =P What's a prying question and what is simple interest. And of course the list goes on. Importantly as well is this how I feel or am I doing this simply to rebel against what was forced on me.
  • liquidsky
    liquidsky

It wasn't all that bad as a kid JW. I just did what I was told. When I was a teenager I was miserable. Pretty typical JW or not. I hated that I could not be on the basketball team as I loved playing basketball and it was something I was darn good at. I hated not being able to have any friends. I didn't really have and wordly friends because I was not allowed to socialize with them after school. So they were basically aquaintences at school. The witness girls hated me. I was never part of thier cliques. So I really didn't make a whole lot friends in the congregation either.

I finally talked my parents into letting me join the drama class afterschool. That was the best time I had as teen. By the time I married and moved out, I was already starting my fade. I was also social retard. It took a few years for me to start functioning like a normal person. I guess it really did come as shock to me to learn that everything I was tought was lie. I took it pretty good, as I had serious doubts all through my teenage years. I was just very angry that I wasted my entire youth.

• Arthur
    Arthur

Being born and raised a JW was a mixed bag. There were both advantages and disadvantages. The advantages of being born into a strict religious household was that I grew up with a basic respect for authority and law and order. I am glad that I was brought up with a respect for women. I avoided drug use, and avoided some of the other problems that kids get into who aren't raised with strong morals.

It felt good to believe that I was part of a tiny elite cadre of mankind who is carrying out the most important work in human history. I felt a level of superiority; which evolved into a form of arrogance and disdain for all non-JWs. I didn't mind not celebrating the holidays. I never felt like I was missing out on anything. The only thing that I desperately longed for was to play sports. I absolutely loved baseball, and was really good at it. I wanted to play on a team so badly. This is the only area where I felt as though I missed out.

I never did have a sudden moment of realization that this wasn't the "truth". It was a long, gradual gut feeling that only began to increase over time. From my early teen years, I had trouble accepting many doctrines and teachings; but simply stuffed them inside. For many years, I knew deep down inside that I was a hypocrite; going door-to-door expecting people to buy into an ideology that I myself did not fully believe in.

I actually began to intuitively know that the JWs and the WTS were operating like a cult long before I ever read a single piece of "apostate" material. It was sort of an "awakening" that I had after having a nervous breakdown. I knew once and for all that this religion was going to drive me to suicide if I didn't get away from it.

I am struggling with overcoming the mind control and the phobias of Armageddon that I was indoctrinated with since birth. It is a very emotionally taxing experience.

I also feel a deep sense of shame of the person I used to be. I am ashamed that I felt superior to non JWs. I feel ashamed that I longed for and prayed for an Armageddon that would wipe out billions of human beings. I have so much trouble trying to understand how I could have held such sociopathic sentiments. How could I have had such a lack of love for human life?

The residue of negative emotions and phobias that are left over are incredible. It is beyond words.

• done4good
    done4good

It was an awful lot of sacrifice, (as the posters above have clearly shown), even more during adulthood. Getting married too young, staying married to someone VERY bad for me because it was the "right thing to do", etc. Couldn't hack that anymore. I Left, "knowing" something was very wrong with it all. Finally, because of the internet, I was able to see for sure. I would say it was a HUGE relief.

j

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit