Birthdays-Are They REALLY Wrong To Celebrate??

by Lady Liberty 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ferret
    ferret

NO!

• LuciousJ
    LuciousJ

I have a very bitter taste in my mouth over it all. I was deprived of so much growing up and now is my chance to make sure it doesn't happen to my children. That being said......I will celebrate their being brought into this world not only every day.....but ON the day it happened with great love, joy & appreciation! Jehovah rejoiced at the birth of his SON and watched as everyone celebrated........and he APPROVED of it......therefore, I will emulate HIM not an organization of twisted & selfish minds!!!!

so.......I vote NO to the question at hand!

LuciousJ

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

first, "Happy Birthday PaulMarshall"!

second, I can take or leave my birthday after so many JW days of not getting to celebrate mine, but though I do appreciate a nice meal out and a card from my loved ones My son`s birthday on the other hand is a very celebrated birthday, for nothing is more important to the hubby & I than the birth of our son.

• choosing life
    choosing life

If you read the Bible on your own, would you ever come up with the idea that God did not want you to celebrate your birthday? I don't think so, This crazy thought had to be planted by someone else. And I agree that it is to seperate you from family and friends. It is all about control-black/white thinking. If the society tells you it's black, but you can see it is really white, it becomes an issue of control and loyalty. It is part of the programming process. they are breaking you down mentally.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

AlmostAtheist wrote a paper on this subject a few years ago.

Here's the link to a thread that references it: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/103056/1.ashx

This really helped me to lighten up and enjoy mine and other's birthday's (if I/we choose to celebrate). I'm still not 100% comfortable but I'm getting there...!

-Aude.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

They celebrated big-scale the Society's 100th anniversary; they celebrated the WT magazine's 100th anniversary; they celebrate branch offices' anniversaries; they celebrate at the branches when someone has been there for example for 50 years, and even tell about it in articles, or the person celebrated tell about it in "my life" articles in the magazines; JWs celebrate wedding anniversaries - if they OK celebrating buildings and magazines and working days, why on earth should one not be allowed to celebrate the birth of what is dearest to oneself - one's child?

TOH

• Flash
    Flash

4 And his sons went and held a banquet at the house of each one on his own day; and they sent and invited their three sisters to eat and drink with them.

I always thought this refered to their birthdays. I'm glad you called attention to it.

As for the two specific "birthdays" mentioned in the bible, after careful thought I've come to the conclusion that until God clearifies His will on the matter, they are nothing more than interesting 'bible trivia,' nothing to be overly concerned about.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Nose:

is that it gives "undue attention" to one person

That is the second reason (other than the bad things happen on birthday argument) that Dubs use.

But why when do they come out with Awake issues like the one that celebrated the dead kids who refused transfusions? If it were a general discussion that would be one thing, but they used real names and photos. Surely that gives "undue attention"?

• okie46
    okie46

Lady Liberty, you have made some excellent points. Why did I never think about these things until recently? I guess the blinders start to come off and then you read something like this and it becomes so clear. The bible says nothing about it being wrong to celebrate a birthday, the society has absolutely nothing to back their rule of no birthday celebrations.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Didn't read the other posts, am stuck at work still and exhausted, and just can't help but put in my two cents, which is that yes, there is something wrong with birthdays. Just ask any elder.

But I think the real thing "wrong" with them, and this is what others said, I'm sure, is that if you celebrate your birthday you'll fit in a little more and then it'll be just that much easier to walk away and fit in with the wicked world. I think it's a mind-control, cult thing. They want you to be as different as humanly possible so that you are a misfit in every aspect of life.

I also think that Jesus celebrated his birthday. I mean, the wise men were joyful and celebrated his birth. What else can that mean?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit