Birthdays-Are They REALLY Wrong To Celebrate??

by Lady Liberty 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Good Morning All and Happy Tuesday,

Most everyone knows that Jehovahs Witnesses do not celebrate birthdays. The reason is that there are two examples given in the Bible of birthdays and bad things happened both times. Since the Bible was recorded for us, we must take that to mean that we should shun the celebration of them. The claim is also used that early Christians did not celebrate birthdays and we follow their example. We would not want to put anyone on a pedistal for honor and glory.

Now.. are these claims really true? You be the judge...

1. True, there were two incidents that someone died at birthdays. Yet, if you read the accounts, the events recorded were not focused on the birthdays. If you gave the passages for someone to read what would be the gist of the passage? Was it really about the birthday? Or rather was it about everything else that was going on in the story. If you re-read the accounts without thinking "Birthday", you may see there is much more to these passages. And it was recorded for a much deeper reason.

2. False, there are not just two birthdays recorded in the Bible, there are three! The greatest birth of all isn't even thought of when Witnesses think of birthdays in the Bible. How about the birth of Christ Jesus? The angels in the heavens cried out with joy. I am sure there was a great celebration of his birth in the heavens. Why would it be ok to celebrate and be over come with joy at such a wonderful event, then only 1 year later pretend like we don't remember it at all? See The Greatest Man book- 1991 pag. 5.

What an important night this is! Out in the fields a bright light gleams around a group of shepherds. It is Jehovah’s glory! And Jehovah’s angel tells them: "Have no fear, for, look! I am declaring to you good news of a great joy that all the people will have, because there was born to you today a Savior, who is Christ the Lord, in David’s city. And this is a sign for you: you will find an infant bound in cloth bands and lying in a manger." Suddenly many more angels appear and sing: "Glory in the heights above to God, and upon earth peace among men of goodwill."

When the angels leave, the shepherds say to one another: "Let us by all means go clear to Bethlehem and see this thing that has taken place, which Jehovah has made known to us." They go in a hurry and find Jesus just where the angel said they would. When the shepherds relate what the angel told them, all who hear about it marvel. Mary safeguards all these sayings and cherishes them in her heart.

3. False, Job was a perfect example of one who was favored by God, yet he was honoring his childrens birthdays. Infact, the Bible says he was blameless and upright in God's eyes. See-Job 1:4:

Job

There happened to be a man in the land of Uz whose name was Job; and that man proved to be blameless and upright, and fearing God and turning aside from bad. 2 And seven sons and three daughters came to be born to him. 3 And his livestock got to be seven thousand sheep and three thousand camels and five hundred spans of cattle and five hundred she-asses, along with a very large body of servants; and that man came to be the greatest of all the Orientals.

And his sons went and held a banquet at the house of each one on his own day; and they sent and invited their three sisters to eat and drink with them. 5 And it would occur that when the banquet days had gone round the circuit, Job would send and sanctify them; and he got up early in the morning and offered up burnt sacrifices according to the number of all of them; for, said Job, "maybe my sons have sinned and have cursed God in their heart." That is the way Job would do always.

4. What about the Societys view on the Pinata? It has religious and "pagan" roots. Yet see here what the Society feels about using them today. Are they wrong now because it was once a pagan custom? See for yourself in the September 22, 2003 Awake, page 22.

The

Piñata Today

Later, the piñata became part of the festivities of the posadas during the Christmas season and continues as such to this day. (A star-shaped piñata is used to represent the star that guided the astrologers to Bethlehem.) Breaking the piñata is also considered indispensable at birthday parties. Indeed, piñatas have become so traditionally Mexican that Mexico even exports them to other countries.

We found that for many people in Mexico, the piñata has lost its religious significance and is considered by most to be just harmless fun. In fact, piñatas are used in Mexico on many festive occasions, not just for the posadas or for birthdays. And piñatas can be purchased in many forms other than the traditional star shape. They are sometimes made to resemble animals, flowers, clowns.

When considering whether to include a piñata at a social gathering, Christians should be sensitive to the consciences of others. (1 Corinthians 10:31-33) A main concern is, not what the practice meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area. Understandably, opinions may vary from one place to another. Hence, it is wise to avoid turning such matters into big issues. The Bible says: "Let each one keep seeking, not his own advantage, but that of the other person."—1 Corinthians 10:24.

So in conclusion, when a person allows themselves to weigh all of this out, are Birthdays really wrong for true Christians today? It sure makes you think again doesn't it?

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    1. True, there were two incidents that someone died at birthdays.

More people have died in traffic accidents, but that doesn't stop Jehovah's Witnesses from driving cars.

I think there are 2 main reasons for the JWs not celebrating birthdays.

1. Money spent on birthdays could be donated to the WTS instead.
    2. The WTS wants to destroy anything that could contribute to a person's sense of self worth.

W

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Personally, I celebrated my birthday this year, for the first time since 1980, but I am not a Christian.

I think that the jw attitude to birthdays is just another example of their wanting to have full control over everything their followers do with their lives, including how they spend their leisure time and money.

Let's face it, not celebrating birthdays does save money, which in their eyes can be put to better use via contributions to the wts. I think mainly though, it is about control.

• mama1119
    mama1119

Thanks for the info! I am going to have my Brother read it...

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Too, isn't it just one more way to keep the Witnesses "seperate" from the world? To make them "stand out"?? It should be a conscience matter as the bottom line is our personal relationship with our God. Our faith should move us to to the right thing NOT hard set rules made for us by others. Otherwise where does faith come into the picture? We would have been given hard set "rules" from the onset if that was what God wanted! It is just another way of control!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• PaulMarshall
    PaulMarshall

Lady Liberty.

Your timing is very apt as I am 40 today and as an ex dub you will understand that my sense of mortality was affected heavily during my childhood. That said I am proud of my achievements to date, and if the nearest and dearest that I have gathered over the years want to use this as an opportunity to say they care, then I am truly blessed. I am not having a party or any other cavalcade of festivity. It just doesn’t feel right, but I will use this day as opportunity to reflect on where I have been, who I am now, and where I am going. Still can't bring myself to raise a toast though. Old habits die hard!

Paul

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Mamma,

Hopefully it will help him. These are the things the Society doesn't want you to use your brain and reason on! We need to let our own conscience motivate us, not the conscience of others who impose hard set rules and regulations. Oh.. one more thought:

When Christ Jesus supposedly did his inspection and he found the small group of Bible students, he approved of them. Yet they were entrenched in birthdays, Christmas, voting...etc. So my question is: Why has the SLAVE (the Society claims they are the slave), rejected what the MASTER had approved??

Things that make you go HMMMMMM.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Paul,

"Happy Birthday"!!! I completely understand. I will raise a toast for you!! You are a gift from above! And YOUR life IS worth CELEBRATING!!! So again..."HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU"!!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Another argument against birthdays is that it gives "undue attention" to one person on that day. I would've agreed with that (though come to think of it, I'm not sure where giving attention to any one person moreso than others is unscriptural). But then there was last Sunday's article. The GB wants worship from the r&f, because after all, you can murmur against God, but if you murmur against the corporations or their representatives, you're a dead man.

• willyloman
    willyloman
    I think there are 2 main reasons for the JWs not celebrating birthdays.
    1. Money spent on birthdays could be donated to the WTS instead.
    2. The WTS wants to destroy anything that could contribute to a person's sense of self worth.

And...

3. It separates people from their families and former friends and makes them more dependent on the cult and its members, the dub's new "family."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit