Evolution still bugs me

by Geronimo 91 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Geronimo
    Geronimo

I know there are a lot of threads on evolution and creation and I've read a few here and there. Believe me I've given this topic a LOT more thought than most other things. When I read creationist articles and books (Yeah I have three from the CRS)) they make sense. In fact the arguments seem really obviously logical. When I read evolutionist arguments sometimes they make sense and I can follow the logic trail. But most of the time it just doesn't make any sense to me. That doesn't mean evolution doesn't make any sense. It could just be that I'm in over my head. This is something that I'm not going to just let go of really easy. Some of the basic arguments are flawless in my mind. Entropy seems like a huge nail in the evolution coffin.

How can complex systems arise of themselves in the face of entropy? One evolutionist book I read used snowflakes to show this is possible. That seems really weak to me. Okay, here's the deal: All of the other ways that science has disproven the Bible, such as a flat earth, an earth that doesn't move, a sun that orbits the earth, all of them have a smoking gun for proof. Pics of the earth from space, etc. I don't see the smoking gun for evolution. I see lots of extinct animals. I see strange races of people different than us. Smaller and taller, stronger and weaker, bigger and smaller brains, but they're humans. Is there a smoking gun for evolution? I'm not arguing in favor of Biblical creationism, but ID makes sense to me. A lot of sense in fact. What was it that convinced you that evolution is true? Or not true? I never gave evolution much thought before I became a Dub. I just accepted it. Now I'm going to worry that evolution bone till I crack it. G

• nutter
    nutter

You only have to look at the humble peanut. How could such a tasty morsal come about without someone to taste it. How did it know to get salted, unless it was created. Imagine that, the peanut that just happened to be ready salted all on it's own. It is clear to me that a peanut could not possibly grow with salt on it, unless it knew it was going to be eaten. The Nutter.

• Geronimo
    Geronimo

Hi nutter. Now im confused and I see why I'm having trouble with this whole issue. I know you're trying to be funny and instructive at the same time, and Ill bet you succeeded. But I don't get it. Which side are you arguring for? Maybe neither? There are greater things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in my philosophy. G

• AlanF
    AlanF

I don't have much time right now, Geronimo, but think about the entropy thing this way:

If what YECs claim about entropy were true, you couldn't digest your food or reproduce.

Think about it.

AlanF

• nutter
    nutter

So what came first, the peanut or the bush? Without the bush, there would be no peanut. Without the peanut there would be no bush. And without the peanut there would be no nutters. The nutter.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I don't see the smoking gun for evolution.

The human genome being around 95% the same as that of chimps is it, imo.

I see lots of extinct animals.

Most species that have ever existed are extinct. That fact strongly disproves the bibles claim of all things it's god created being good. Besides, mass extinctions are not mentioned in the bible.

S

• Geronimo
    Geronimo

Hey AlanF that makes a lot more sense than the snowflake argument.

Nutter is being a nutter. Hey nutter, thanks for clarifying (sic?).

• Kudra
    Kudra

Geronimo,

Entropy happens in a closed system- The earth- or the solar system, for that matter is NOT a closed system- the earth constantly is getting energy input from the sun.

Many ID-ers misuse the term entropy as it applies to evolution on earth. An easy to understand website that deals (I think) with entropy is talk.origins which you have probably discovered if you have been perusing the id-evolution "debate".

Best o luck!

-K

• nutter
    nutter

Your a nutter too. and I thought I was all alone in this packet.

• Geronimo
    Geronimo

Hey Satanus. Okay, but a book I read awhile back said that genetic similarity is based on similarity of function not heredity. Apes and humans have similar parts for similar jobs so therefore we have very clos genetic resemblence. Plus, I'm not arguing for Bible science. Just the ID argument in general. Also, I'm not completely convinced that ID is right. I'm Googling for some more info. Oh man! Check this out! http://goldennumber.net/ See? It's this sort of thing that comes along and BAM! knocks me for a loop and makes me take a breath and rethink. G (I might just be a sap too thats why I posted)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit