The first signals of doubt?

by The wanderer 17 Replies latest jw friends

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

The first signals of doubt? For me 1975 God bless 1975 they gave me a way out.

• penny2
    penny2

Firstly 1975 raised some concern. Then I came across some publications by someone called Miller and I thought he sounded like a raving lunatic. However, when you're a third generation jw and your whole happy family is in "the truth", doubts are suppressed and life carries on as "normal".

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

My among the first doubts I had, had to do with never doing enough, it just seemed they would never be satisfied with what you put forth and I was right they never were, it was always you can do more more more. Then the total lack of love the was easily seen. My helping a witness in one of the local hospitals, the elders knowing about him and yet months later no one but a few of us had ever visited with him and it was never the elders. When he passed away his son and family stayed with us, I wasn't even a witless then, and the local elders didn't do a damn thing to help him or me for that matter.

Also all the b.s. about you can be a friend of Jah, take things to him in prayer, oh really you never get an answer from him, its like talking to yourself and when you do that people think you are crazy, that should open you eyes up. How can you be a friend of someone who never talks with you?

• badboy
    badboy

WAS THAT THE MILLER WHO INDIRECTLY FOUNDED SEVENTH DAY ADVENTISM?

• done4good
    done4good

Actually, for me, LEARNING of the 1975 thing was quite a shock. I only first heard this from a friend around 1991 or so. I had been brought up in the org, family in since '78. I could not believe this could NEVER have been brought up in those 13 years I've been associated. I didn't believe it at first, but my source was reliable. Something was fishy in dub land. That was the beginning, it would take me almost 15 years to actually leave after that point.

j

• evergreen
    evergreen

DfG, You heard about the 1975 thing from a friend! I heard it from a lady we had called on in the ministry. I remember saying that that was not the case and she said she used to study with the witnesses untill the 1975 thing happened. The brother said that it did happen and that set alarm bells ringing as i was still wet behind the ears in the ministry.

I would have to say that my doubts began with their ridiculous view on having a beard. I was approached by both an elder and a M/S who explained to me in their tactfully watchtower way that beards arent the done thing in Jehovahs organisation.

The revelation book really set doubts in me as well. Paticularly the dates in the 20th century and how certain scriptures in revelation applied to rutherford etc.
    I remember saying to myself is this for real.

Right from the very beginning i had those little nagging doubts, but was taken along with the tide of WT doctrine and accepted the view that the society didnt claim to be infallible and whence got things wrong at times.

• TopHat
    TopHat

Why does it take us so long to leave when we start doubting? I questioned the 144.000 from the very beginning....I was in and out of the Borg for many years until I left for good 5 years ago. It didn't feel like they were blessed by God to me.

• done4good
    done4good
    I would have to say that my doubts began with their ridiculous view on having a beard.

Evergreen, I would agree that this was one of those things that I just couldn't reconcile either. I grew my goatee as soon as I left.

j

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit