The watchtower admit to being a false religion!

by fullofdoubtnow 22 Replies latest jw friends

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

More or less, anyway.

The forthcoming tract, "The End of False Religion is Near", contains this statement about how false religions will behave on page 2:

Tolerates Immoral Sex: In Western lands, church groups ordain gay and lesbian members of the clergy and urge governments to recognize same - sex marriages. Even churches that condemn immorality have tolerated religious leaders who have sexually abused children.

Frankly, I don't know how they dare include this statement. We are all well aware of their abysmal record in dealing with this problem, so if this is a mark of false religion, therefore THEY are a false religion by their own admission!

Do you think they've slipped up here?

Linda

• badboy
    badboy

ITS GOOD TO SEE THE KETTLE CALLING THE POT BLACK !

• Mary
    Mary
    Even churches that condemn immorality have tolerated religious leaders who have sexually abused children.

ROFLMAO!! After being exposed on 20/20, Dateline, and The Fifth Estate for everyone in the western world to see, it's hard to believe that they are actually stoooopid enough to put something like this in print..........since millions of 'worldly' people saw these segments on TV, they'll be utterly dumbfounded that this religion could possibly make such a ridiculous statement. Idiots.

• Jourles
    Jourles
    Even churches that condemn immorality have tolerated religious leaders who have sexually abused children.

If I were the WTS, this would be my argumentation ---> We do not have individual leaders in the congregations. All are brothers. And then of course I would back it up by quoting some obscure WT article which basically states the same idea.

Where's Blondie? I know she could find such an article. And I know for a fact that such [an] article(s) exist(s).

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    If I were the WTS, this would be my argumentation ---> We do not have individual leaders in the congregations. All are brothers. And then of course I would back it up by quoting some obscure WT article which basically states the same idea.

True, they don't have paid clergy. However, the elders run the congregations, and we all know how it goes if anyone defies them. Apart from that some of them have been implicated in child abuse cases anyway.

I still think, with all the worldwide publicity their record of mishandling child abuse cases has received, they have shot themselves in the foot with this statement.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Sorry... this statement is ambiguous - in print.

I can read it to mean that churches that condemn immorality - have religious leaders who may have children - who have been sexually abused - and they tolerate them. Perhaps it should have been written differently - adding a comma here or there... or change the wording a bit.

Regards,

Jim TX

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi Jim,

It's not my words, it's a quote from the new wt tract that they are distributing in October.

The point I am making is that they are saying that a "false religion" tolerates child abuse within it's ranks. You know as well as I do that, despite their much - vaunted policy on handling child sexual abuse cases, more often than not the reality in jw land is to brush such cases under the carpet using the 2 - witness rule as an excuse. Okay, there aren't religious leaders as such in individual congregations, just unpaid elders, but there is a leadership structure, with the governing body at the head of it. They are the ones who make the rules, including the 2 - witness one, and who instruct elders to report child abuse cases to Bethel before notifying the authorities.

I just think, with the worldwide coverage of their record on child abuse and their attempts to cover it up rather than deal with it, that they are hypocritical to publish such a statement in a tract that they intend to distribute throughout the world.

Linda

• avengers
    avengers

Andy.

• Dansk
    Dansk

since millions of 'worldly' people saw these segments on TV, they'll be utterly dumbfounded that this religion could possibly make such a ridiculous statement.

Unfortunately, they forget easily!

Watchtower DOES have paid clergy! COs and DOs are given an allowance and a brand new car to get about in. PLUS, in our congregation we always donated money to them to "help them get by."

OK, the allowance isn't much - but I never saw any overseers starving, threadbare and driving around in rust buckets.

Ian

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    since millions of 'worldly' people saw these segments on TV, they'll be utterly dumbfounded that this religion could possibly make such a ridiculous statement.

Unfortunately, they forget easily!

Yes Ian, they do tend to forget stuff like that fairly easily.

However, one of the things Trev and myself have been doing this past few days is sending copies of the forthcoming tract to churches in the area, so they have the tract before most of the dubs see it. We also invited anyone who wanted further information to contact us, and a few have, so we have responded by sending them some, including an article Trev wrote a while ago on child abuse amongst jws. Hopefully, they will use what we have given them wisely, and the dubs will get a reception they haven't bargained for when they start their tract campaign in October!

Linda

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit