Da Vinci Code, what did you think?

by gaiagirl 27 Replies latest social entertainment

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I read the book and thought it was enjoyable nonsense. For those who haven't read it, it tells the tale of what happens when the world's worst cryptologist meets the world's most poorly informed symbologist, and they investigate the world's silliest secret society. My biggest problem with it (apart from Dan Brown's often-excruciating writing style) was that it gets all its "history" from some ludicrous conspiracy theory that was made up in the 1980s, and claims it as fact. I have no problem with a book set in a fantasy world, but the author shouldn't pretend it's true. For those who intend to read it, I recommend the special illustrated edition which at least contains some wonderful pictures.

Overall, it was a run-of-the-mill thriller with a sillier than usual plot. I'm surprised at how much interest it spawned.

I haven't seen the movie. Why would I? I know whodunnit. Audrey Tautou is an attraction, of course, but almost completely cancelled out by Tom Hanks.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I thought the book was a good read. Not a great read, though. I will rent the DVD on a weekend when USC isn't playing.

• jason bourne
    jason bourne

Steve,

what's the eco book about?

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I love Audrey Tautou, wonderful actress, but I don't think that "Da Vinci Code" made great use of her talents and charm. I enjoyed the book more than the movie, but the movie was fun. I don't have strong feelings on the issues involved with the story(well most of them:)) but I think if you just go in with the attitude that 'its entertainment' it is great for what it is. The rest of the stuff, take with a grain of salt. Not as much fact in there as the author liked to imply(was he ever at Bethel?)but he had a lot of fun with extrapolation, and I can appreciate a good story anyday!

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

What is nice about the story, is all the "What ifs" it brings to mind....It makes people stop for a moment and think : what if at least some of it is true?

A lot of persons who never would have looked into the history of christianity, who were brought up in it and just accept it as right, will be tempted to make a few researches. Alright, most of it, secret societies and Vatican killers and all that is fiction, but there are interesting facts about pre-christian religions, Goddess worship, one-God concept and many other subjects that people in general never take time to think about. One can't help but to see to what extend some will go for their religion or for what they beleive is the truth, what horrors fanatics can commit in the name of "One true religion". And it's not just Islamics...

• Geronimo
    Geronimo
    I had recently read the book, "The Da Vinci Code", and just saw the movie this weekend. Essentially, the plot revolves around a 2000 year old "cover-up", in which it is claimed that Jesus was married to Mary Magdelene and had children. This knowledge was suppressed by the early Church, but kept alive by a secret society of which Leonardo da Vinci was a member. He is supposed to have painted clues into "The Last Supper" indicating Mary M's special relationship to Jesus. My take is: "The Last Supper" painting aside, there IS plenty of other textual evidence from as long ago as the first century which suggests that Jesus was married, and may have left a bloodline. Whether or not a given viewer believes that Jesus was married is irrelevant, as it makes a wonderful basis upon which to build an absorbing story. I would venture to guess that anyone who liked "National Treasure" would also enjoy "The Da Vinci Code". The performances by the lead actors was very good, IMHO, especially that of Audrey Tautou.

I have some writings my sister sent me on this subject that proves Jesus was married. I can't post for another day or so because I used up my quota of new topics. The stuff my sistr sent me will make you sit up and take notice. G

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

book really good - film not as good

• Legolas
    Legolas

I loved the book..Didn't see the movie yet though!

I also bought his 'Angels and Demons' and 'Digital Fortress'!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit