Da Vinci Code, what did you think?

by gaiagirl 27 Replies latest social entertainment

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I had recently read the book, "The Da Vinci Code", and just saw the movie this weekend. Essentially, the plot revolves around a 2000 year old "cover-up", in which it is claimed that Jesus was married to Mary Magdelene and had children. This knowledge was suppressed by the early Church, but kept alive by a secret society of which Leonardo da Vinci was a member. He is supposed to have painted clues into "The Last Supper" indicating Mary M's special relationship to Jesus. My take is: "The Last Supper" painting aside, there IS plenty of other textual evidence from as long ago as the first century which suggests that Jesus was married, and may have left a bloodline. Whether or not a given viewer believes that Jesus was married is irrelevant, as it makes a wonderful basis upon which to build an absorbing story. I would venture to guess that anyone who liked "National Treasure" would also enjoy "The Da Vinci Code". The performances by the lead actors was very good, IMHO, especially that of Audrey Tautou.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I thought it was awesome but then I like intrigue, secret societies, etc. I'd never buy into a conspiracy theory like that though.

• serendipity
    serendipity

I didn't see the movie, but read the book. I thought it was absorbing, unbelievable in spots, but decent fiction and well worth the $7.99 I paid for it. I didn't buy the theory either. The book generated quite a market for books debunking the theories. It helped to initiate a dialog about about the Bible canon and origin of the Trinity. People looked a bit closer at their beliefs, which isn't a bad thing.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Loved the book.

But isn't it exciting that going on a "Code Tour" in Paris, you realize that you thought it was just a story -

BUT IT'S TRUE!!!!

HB

• Celia
    Celia

I liked the book. Was disappointed in the movie. I love Tom Hanks, but found him weak in this role. Not his fault entirely though, the whole movie lacked suspense, speed, emotions, resolve....

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Pseudo-history and stupid characters. Engaging, knicker-gripping tosh. Great stuff.

Anybody notice the continuity error on pages 190 and 192?

• JimWood
    JimWood

The book is a must read. Which presents the problem for the movie; movies are always a let down when a book is exceptional.

• jstalin
    jstalin

I saw the movie but didn't read the book. The movie was horrible. Formulaic, contrived action, ludicrous plot points, and a rediculous conclusion.

• heathen
    heathen

The movie pretty much sucked . I especially hated the beginning where the museum guy is drawing pictures and clues all over the place in his own blood . Pretty stupid .Not even interested in the book after seeing that . I do like tales of intrique tho with conspiracy stuff so that was the only interest I had in it anyway since this society may have existed in opposition to the church , no way I believe that jesus had a mortal family .

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Loved the book ......hated the movie !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit