A Friend Just Asked Me Why His JW Family Is Stocking Up On Food......

by minimus 51 Replies latest jw friends

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

growing up poor we always had emergency items .. non perishables such as beans, rice, a few canned goods, mainly because when you live week to week on small paychecks you have to be prepared in case one week you dont get paid..

i live in a tornado prone area so i keep emergency water, canned goods etc just in case .. never know when something might happen and your stuck for a few days.

it only makes sense to keep a few things around, especially water because you never know when your city water might be contaminated for a few days. it doesnt take a disaster for that to happen.

so, even though i dont stock up in fear of the great T .. i do keep some things on hand.

• jwcol
    jwcol

Being in hurricane zone, I need to do that as well..stock up a bit now instead of waiting until the last minute.

• heathen
    heathen

nothing wrong with having emergency supplies , it's better than waiting on the government in times of crisis as we learned from the Katrina tragedy . Stuff like tuna fish and canned foods are not that exspensive . I think water goes stagnant tho if kept too long . I am an end of the worlder still but don't stockpile food . You just know that those j-dubs would turn you away if they had and you didn't tho . Oh you shoulda listened to the WTBTS now starve ....... blah blah . I kinda like what steven colbert says on that , everytime jesus comes around on his cloud of righteousness he has to turn back because of what he sees . LOL and he doesn't get good milage on that thing ..... well I embellished a little there but thought it funny when he said it .

• blondie
    blondie

We have supplies, water, medical supplies, battery radio, canned food, set aside for about 3 to 4 days....necessary in an area that has tornados, floods, bli**ards (key problem). But if they are stocking up for the GT, they aren't depending on God very much, are they? What makes them think that they will be riding out the GT at home? Aren't they supposed to be at the KH or in concentration camps?

Blondie

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    What makes them think that they will be riding out the GT at home? Aren't they supposed to be at the KH or in concentration camps?

LOL!

I think we thought we'd be hidden in our 'secret spaces' eating tinned peaches and praying, and studying our hidden bibles.

One family had a complete set of bound volumes in their 'secret space'. They had a big loft. Like Satan couldnt find a few books in a loft...

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

This came up when I was over at my Father-In-Laws a couple weeks ago. I finally got to use one of my favorite movie lines when I said...."I guess you can't make fun of my lifestlye anymore." Hell, I have been collecting prepardness supplies for 10 years. It was SO funny when he tried to trip me up. Like trying to imply that since I did this on my own, without help from the "society" and "the faithful and discreet slave" that I probably bought the wrong things. To say the least, he was not successful. But I mananged to blow holes in his "make believe" "society" directed preparations.

• Asheron
    Asheron

We have an emergancy stockpile of wine, vodka, gin and scotch...oh..no...wait...thats the bar...nevermind

• heathen
    heathen

It is interesting how that in the new testament you were considered greedy and materialistic if you had more than you needed for one day , clearly they exspected the kingdom to come at anytime and felt that today was the only time to concern yourself with your needs for tomorrow would bring it's own badness or the kingdom of the heavens . All there in acts of apostles folks .

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

The society provides for witnesses in time of disaster and solicits donations to do so. If they convince them all to stock up so they can provide for themselves any bets they will still solicit donations after a disaster. Bingo more profit.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    We have an emergancy stockpile of wine, vodka, gin and scotch...oh..no...wait...thats the bar...nevermind

Actually, stocking up on liquor is a good thing, as it can be used to barter. Stock up on whisky and cigarettes - non-perishables (realtively) that are as good as gold when the infrastructure of banking, transportation, and communications are down.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit