Do You Like Your Given Name?

by Outaservice 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess

I've always liked my name. There were never any other girls named Rachel in school, so it seemed unique. Then about 12 years ago, Rachel became a very popular name and I've turned my head dozens of times to women calling "Rachel" only to find it was a little girl being called.

I named my kids Rhys and Zoe. Oddly enough, there are three boys named Rhys at my son's school. It's a very uncommon name in the states, so that really shocked me. We went with the Welsh spelling but we see it spelled "Reece" more often around here. Rarely run into any girls named Zoe, which seems much more common.

• minimus
    minimus

I grew to love the name my mother gave me. I never realized how different it was until I was in junior high school. Yes, I love my name, Minimus.

• Legolas
    Legolas

No..I don't like my real name!..LOL

Here is my Elf name... Nápoldë Anwamanë

Find out yours at http://www.chriswetherell.com/elf/

• Nowman
    Nowman

My given name is Nicole, but I always thought it was too sophisticated for me, so I go by Nikki which suites me better. I don't hate my name, but I do not think I look like a Nicole, I do look like a Nikki (this is what people usually tell me anyway).

• muslima
    muslima

I hated it as a small child - but as a teenager, I had 3 other friend named Denise - so we used to get a kick out of all shopping together - but of course if one called to the other - everybody went "whhaat?"

I think the worse thing is people trying to be funny and say Da-nephew - or Da- elbows -- instead of (mispronounced of course) Da-knees.

or as a few of my foreign spoken friends pronounce it -- Da-NeeZ....but the proper French was is Don' eez - so actually they are not far off !!!

But I suppose if I had the nerve - I would try to get people to pronounce my name as Don' ess say.....but you know after this long - you KNOW I would forget myself how I wanted it pronounced!!! ROFL

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming

I was named after my grandfather and until the age of twelve I did not know it... I was called a nick name...

when I found out, I was horrified and swore that one day I would change it.... I promised to wait until my grandfather was dead...

two years after he died the idea popped into my head and when I found out it only cost $30 bucks and $5 for a legal copy, I was in.

I legally changed my name August 1985.... 21 years ago, perhaps even this day (^_^)

• target
    target

I was to be born on Christmas so my mother planned to name me Merry. Which she did, even though I came 6 days early.

Then my father said that she had named the other six and he was naming me so he changed it to Mildred.

If anyone actually calls me that, I will physically assault them.

Legolas

Thank you so much for the link! I love elves and fairies and now I know my elf name. Now I need to figure out how to pronounce it.

Target

• Sailor Ripley
    Sailor Ripley

Yes, I do love my name... the whole thing, first, middle and last. My Y-Donor was a total tool but I still like my last name, but I think of him every time I say it. Oh yeah, he was an elder for many years or all the years I was a kid and before.
    Mildred, I have an aunt Mildred and she rocks the house! I love that name. Legolas, we mightg be related, in a parallel elf world: Olwë Anwamanë

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I've always liked my name.

Good! We loved it when we gave it to you.

I hear the gang on your volleyball team call you "six pack"

I've always liked my name too. They almost named me Marsha, but I like Marilyn better. People seem to remember my name easily, when I tell them to think of Marilyn Monroe. I just know the day is coming when they will say "who?"

• KW13
    KW13

Well, when i had done something wrong and heard folks shouting my name, i always wished i had someone elses.

But mine, yeh i like it. Karl with a K, my dads middle name.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit