Today I was un-shunned.....

by AK - Jeff 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• willyloman
    willyloman
    I am of value now that he needs my vote.

Dubs and "situational ethics" are no strangers to one another.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    We had a pleasant conversation and religion was never brought up.

G'day Jeff,

These puzzling encounters seem to happen from time to time - well, that's what I've found - and they leave you wondering so many questions.

Significantly though, in these situations I've found is that you never say what you'd really like to say - it's as if it's an unwritten/unspoken agreement not to go there; conversations remain pleasant but in a sense with a big chunk missing.

It's 'nice' to know though that you can at least maintain some sense of common humanity.

On the negative side, she's just as likely to walk the other way next time - they become so mixed up - I feel so sorry for them!

Cheers, Ozzie

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Significantly though, in these situations I've found is that you never say what you'd really like to say - it's as if it's an unwritten/unspoken agreement not to go there; conversations remain pleasant but in a sense with a big chunk missing.

On both sides I think. The dub would like to convince you to get back to the 'truth'. The apostate would like to convince them of the 'truth about the truth'.

Somewhat like a democrat and republican at lunch - all is pretty well till politics enter the conversation. Prob better that it did not. I tend to keep my flap going way past 'uncomfortable'.

Jeff

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

I never cared if a person was labeled as "shunned" or not. As an active JW, I would still greet and talk with those whom the congregation elders had DFd. There was one DFd woman in my congregation in particular who always had to walk across the street after the midweek evening meeting to a bus stop by herself. The situation wasn't ideal by anyones standards, especially when considering it wasn't wise nor safe to do so alone. I would always accompany her, feeling it was my duty at the time as an "attendant" in the congregation. It was on my own initiative. The elders noticed this and talked to me one day and asked why I was doing something like that and if I was talking with her. I said that it was showing love to my neighbor and would they themselves fail to lend a hand to someone who truly needed help or protection at any moments notice. I also said that I was talking with her and that it was also in line with scripture about showing fellow feeling by what we talked about (her family, job, trying to buy a car...etc). The elder body (service committe) couldn't refute that and it never was brought up again. I made it a point that when the elders used their WT coated scriptural reasoning, I would always give reasoning from the Bible while asking for Holy Spirit to guide me. The Holy Spirit won every time!

I still talked to her and others who were DFd to see how they were doing out of sincere interest. It was funny because nobody, neither the elders nor others n the congregation ever said anything to me about doing such. Why? I don't know. I just know that those who were DFd could count on me as being a fellow Christian. It doesn't mean that those DFd aren't worthy of being treated as fellow humans. I was firm on this stand and will always be. There was nothing scriptural that the elder body in my congregation could do at the time nor could ever do to me now.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously by WTS standards)

• Scully
    Scully
    He wanted me to know his opposition to an ethanol plant being built in his nieghborhood. It will effect his quality of life.

ethanol = ethyl alcohol = the main ingredient in alcoholic beverages

How will it affect his quality of life? Will he be tempted to drink even more than he does now?

• hemp lover
    hemp lover
    Perhaps she has noticed that I am not dripping blood from my fangs nearly as much as she thought I was previous.

Or perhaps she feels awkward eating alone in a restaurant. Maybe she forgot to bring a book.

This is so true...and so frustrating.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Maybe she's been lurkin' on this poztate board and is beginning to wake up to facts instead of delusions and flashing lights.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Hey good for her! I know how long it took for me to let that iron curtain down...

• Billzfan23
    Billzfan23

Awesome story... BTW, I have been meaning to tell you that I love the Payne Stewart avatar. I grew up near Springfield, MO and he was more than just a local hero there. What a class act. A little off topic for your thread, but wanted to give the picture my 2 thumbs up anyway...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit