Getting to college

by LtCmd.Lore 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

For all you people who were raised witnesses, and yet got to college without parental help, I want your story.

I'm in just that situation and I need ideas. Plus it will probably be interesting too. So, please, commence with the stories...

• serendipity
    serendipity

What do you mean without parental help? Do you mean financial help?

When I was in college, my parents let me live at home and provided the few meals I ate there, but didn't pay for any of my expenses. I received scholarships and financial aid to pay for tuition, fees and books. I worked nearly 30 hours a week at a part-time job to pay for other expenses. I commuted to college in a car I was paying for, though my Dad co signed the loan for me.

My parents expected me to make most meetings and behave like a JW, as an example for my younger siblings. I also had to get baptized or my Dad was going to kick me out of the house.

Financial aid is available today. Depending on income levels, there are scholarships, grants, loans and work-study (jobs at the college). Even if parents make too much money, a student can usually get student loans at a fairly low interest rate (6% now). The student has 10 years after graduating to pay them off.

In Texas, at a public university, tuition runs between $6-$8K a year. So for $24K-$32K total (or the price of a car), a student can get a 4 year degree, assuming they can live at home.

If you're still in High School, make use of your school counselors to get more info.

• Nina
    Nina

Are you in the USA? If yes, citizen, legal resident or other?

• Carmel
    Carmel

I'm not sure if my case fits your criteria since I left home at 14 to get away from the religion and a dysfunctional family. I was offered a scholarship to play basketball otherwise I would never have considered that I could muster up the bucks to go to college. After a serious accident that took me out of sports I realized the class work was easy and working at nights or days depending upon my class schedule was doable.

carmel

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

So, I left my house, got an apartment with a friend,

and kept busting my ass. 40 hours, plus school.

and now I'm in college, and still doin it to it.

Its not fun, but it works.

Just make sure you dont get all the Ramen noodles in one flavor.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Left home at 17, got a job, apartment, worked 50+ hours a week, took me till I was 25 to start college, I will never finish as I love going to school, took a break over the past 2 years married house and every thing.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Escaped the borg after high school by leaving with no assets... had to leave because of emotional and physical abuse...moved in with a coworker and rented half of her bedroom, then got my own cheapie apartment....worked my butt off for many years to save $ for college....saving was extremely difficult due to having a serious/expensive medical condition and no insurance....finally saved enough to do an Associate's Degree (2 yrs) in one year....then I was hooked on college so I kept going.....lived in the ghetto, drove an old rustbucket, went without medical care and survived on beans & rice lol.....started working full time after I finished my Bachelor's....then went part time for another ~7 years and got a Master's.

• damselfly
    damselfly

I know tons of people who got to college wothout parents help, including me.

Save money now with part time jobs. Apply to every scholarship and bursary you can think of and look on line for more opportunities. Student loans are easy to get and with proper budgeting will cover all expenses. Get roommates that you know and get along with.

If you are still living at home (in my province you need to prove that you are independant before they will consider you for loans or prove that parents aren't willing to help you financialy), get all your personal papers and financial info together and in a safe place.

You can do this if you are determined to do it.

Dams

• damselfly
    damselfly

A sore point with me is that as the oldest in my large family I was never encouraged to go to school. My parents wanted me to graduate high school and pioneer. Drama ensued and I left home. Fast forward a few years, my sister didn't attend college either, however my brother was very encouraged to go to college and lived at home with all his expenses paid for by my parents while he completed his degree. My remaining siblings are being encouraged to do the same.

I did get to school eventually by working my ass off to do it on my own. It was (and still is) very difficult but very worth it.

Dams

• evita
    evita

Left home at 22. Worked full-time to support myself. At 24 I applied to the local state university and was accepted. Began working part-time and college full time. Applied for financial aid but didn't qualify because the previous year I had made too much money. I also had to prove that I was financially independent from my parents. Struggled to pay rent, food, gas, tuition, and books. An 85 year old guy totalled my car but it was old so insurance only gave me 1,000 dollars to replace it. I emptied my 401K to buy a used car. Finally got some financial aid in my Sophomore year that barely covered tuitiion but not books.
    It took me 6 years to get my degree because I refused to take out loans. Also, I worked in retail and had to constantly beg for a school-friendly schedule. I was very poor and lived on brown rice and Progresso lentil soup. When I ran out of money, I would take some lower division units at the local Junior College.
    In retrospect, I should have taken some loans out and completed my lower division at the Jr. college. Also, should have had a roommate to ease expenses. But my previous roommate had been a dub and that ended badly. I was still afraid of "worldly people" so I kept to myself and made not one friend during my whole college experience.
    In my senior year I finally came out my self-imposed shell and began to shed some of my dub fears. I wish I been able to experience college as someone different but it's hard to shake years of indoctrination, fear, and emotional suppression. College really helped me do that. I graduated with a degree in English Lit. Not a really useful degree but I did it!
    My advice is to just jump in. Use it as a time for exploration and accept that it will be difficult financially. Learn to cook basic, healthy food. Get involved in campus life rather than being just a "commuter student".
    Also, try not to abuse caffeine, alcohol or junk food. I did not take care of myself physically and came to regret that. Take advantage of counselling services. I actually began seeing an inexpensive therapist at this time and that helped tremendously.
    Good luck to you!
    Eva

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit