Does it feel good to hurt? Why do we make ourselves sad?

by AlmostAtheist 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Twitch
    Twitch

It doesn't feel good to hurt per se, but it's inevitable and necessary sometimes

Doesn't mean you can't feel good some other time

Doesn't mean you aren't a mix of a lot of things

Being sad sometimes is one. S'alright

Making yourself sad on purpose is something else,.....

• vitty
    vitty

I had to stop listening to a UK band cos it made me feel so depressed ! The music was very dramatic and as I was just finding out about the "truth" I would play it and it helped me cry, I was so full of anger and pain it helped me release those feelings.

But after a while it just got too much and id break down crying whilst doing the iroing.......

• Twitch
    Twitch

Music is a powerful motivator and inspiration, ('course ;-).

Some songs are forever associated with people or times in my life, be they happy or sad songs. I like em both. It's good to remember.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Like one of the other posters said, I think it's just part of being human. When the lyrics in a song hit home with how you feel inside sometimes, even if its a terrible feeling, it can be pretty moving.

Sheldon

• mama1119
    mama1119

I think it just feels good to feel sad sometimes. And I think sad songs remind us that we are not the only ones that have sad times.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

The masochist in us?

Do you want to be depressed or do you want to be happy? http://www.lollie.com/blue/compare.html

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Thanks for all your responses, Everybody. Good stuff.

LSheep, that's a great link! I love it!

Dave

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Perhaps our happiness is only in contrast to what sadness is. If we were happy all the time would it become normal? And then would we not experience the highs we do now from sheer pleasure?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I think its the ying and yang thing to fully appreciate one you have to feel the other. If there ever was an Adam and Eve, in a very short time paradise drove them crazy, bonkers they were not content. I think we are hard wired to experience all of the emotions. But I prefer to keep it on the good foot. Ill choose happiness evreytime. So when you hear a sad song turn the dial. Read reviews and dont watch sad movies, I prefer comedies. Be your own sensor.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    So what's up with that? Why do we do this?

a bit of obsessive compulsive behavior from the brain chemistry I would guess........you mention that some roll thoughts around in their heads.........a very good description of a symptom of depression, as anyone who suffers from it knows.........your thoughts do get caught into a track of negativity, unable to pull free from it, you just sink lower and lower.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit