PRAYING.... Is it the answer to eating disorders?

by Gill 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gill
    Gill

I found that the Article on 'Young Popele ask....Do I have an eating disorder?' in the Awake magazine for October 2006 to have worrying advice in it.

Apparantly the answer to this problem, according to the WTBTS is PRAYER! How did psychiatrists miss this for so long?

At first, the article discusses Anorexia, Bulmia, and Binge Eating and some of its causes. It asks intelligent questions of a person to ask themselves to see if they could have an eating disorder. However, things go pear shaped when the subtitle of 'Take Action Now!' begins.

'The first step is to admit to yourself that you have a problem. 'After thinking about it,' Danielle says, 'I realized that i had the same feelings and habits as girls with anorexia. It was scary to come face to face with the fact that I did the same things that they did'

Next pray to Jehovah about your plight. Implore him for insight as to what is behind your disorder so that you can conquer it. You can pray as did David: 'Search through me, O God, and know my heart. Examine me, and know my disquietying thought, and see whether there is in me andy painful way, and lead me in the way of time indefinite.' Psalms 139. 23,24.

On the other hand, you might find that you are reluctant to leave your eating disorder behind. You may have become dependent on it, much like an addiction. This is another matter to take to Jehovah in prayer. That is what Daniell had to do. 'At first' she admits, 'I didn't really want to recover. So I had to pray for the desire to get better.'

Third talk to a parent or other adult who is in a position to help you. Caring adults will not shame you. Rather, they will strive to imitate Jehovah, of whom the Bible states, 'He has neither despised nor loathed the affliction of the afflicted one, and he has not concealed his face from him, and when he cried to him for help he heart.' Psalms 22:24.

Admittedly, the road to recovery is not easy. In some cases professional assistance is needed. The important thing is to take action. Thats' what one bulimic girl resolved to do. ' One day, I began to realize that purging was actually controlling me. Yet I wasn't sure I could stop. Finally, I did the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I asked for help'.

Then at the bottom of the article there is a warning:

'Christians should be sure that any treatment they pursue does not conflict with bible principles.'

The WTBTS fear of psychologist and psychiatrists goes on.

Any one with an eating disorder needs to be under medical supervision. Praying will not cure it. It is NOT just some cases that need professional help but ALL.

What's wrong with the WTBTS?

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Mental health people get folks to examine what is really troubling in their lives. For a JW to do that will open up a real can of theocratic worms(NOT a disease one would want!). The WT can't have JWs examining their lives and THINKING deeply about issues.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Oh yeah, praying is also a cure for the following ailments:

marital problems
    obesity
    alcoholism
    masturbation
    being gay
    poverty
    M.E.

Im thinking of bottling it and going on a travelling cure roadshow...

• Gill
    Gill

If the WTBTS had wanted to give these girls/boys some good advice it would have been to go to a psychiatrist.

A psychiatrist would have taught them to stick two fingers up to what anyone would think or say of them, but that's not what the WTBTS want for the victims of this illness who are also JWs.

There is a part in the article that say that people should not comment on the weight of young people as they are sensitive to this. Good point.

It reminds me of when my mother said to my daughter a couple of years ago, 'Don't worry. It's just puppy fat!' very offensively. At which my daughter turned round and said: 'Well Grandma, what's yours then? Old dog fat?'

I'm still laughing five years on at the expression on my mum's face!!

• funkyderek
  • fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

They seem to advocate prayer as the answer to all illnesses.

I remember when I had to quit pioneering because of health problems, the elders told me to pray more, and I would soon find the strength to get back into the pioneer service. The stupid thing was, I actuelly believed that! I did pray harder for the strength to do so, but it didn't work, and I never pioneered again, apart from the odd month as an auxillary, and I didn't do that after around 1996.

To suggest prayer as an answer to serious eating disorders is at least irresponsible, but the danger is some will take it to heart and not look for the kind of treatment they really need.

• calico
    calico
    'Christians should be sure that any treatment they pursue does not conflict with bible principles.'

This very statement is why family members of mine have not gotten the help they desparately need!

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

But think about it JWs are not the only ones that advocate this idea. "Give it up to a higher power" is a common thread amongst many treatment programs (think about AA and their daily mantra). In some cases praying does help for people who believe that God can take a problem and cure it. For some people it works.

That being said, I agree w/ FD's cartoon and saying "praying - how to do nothing and still think you are helping"

• willowmoon
    willowmoon

I don't see where the article states or implies that "prayer is the answer" or cure for the problem.

It encourages us to "Implore him for insight as to what is behind your disorder so that you can conquer it." It does not say to ask or expect Jehovah to cure it.

This and other Bible-based teachings point out that, through prayer, God can help us find courage, strength, understanding ... whatever it takes --
    to seek and choose answers that resolve our problems.

We are the ones who control our own lives and, as the article points out ... often we need to ask for help. It's the help and guidance, but not necessarily the specific answer or cure, that can come through prayer.

I think the article does caution us to make good decisions regarding professional treatment and makes it clear that prayer is not the cure, but can help us focus and take the actions that lead to the cure.

willow

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Well I guess if you are praying you arent stuffing your face or sticking your fingers down your throat so in that event it could be helpful...

and thats about the only way I think it WOULD BE.

So...if you dont get cured from "_______________________" then you didnt pray long enough, hard enough, specifically enough, or didnt wait for an answer, or didnt listen to the society or or or.....the bottom line is whatever ailment you have, if you still have it after reading this article...you brought it on yourself you spiritual black hole you.

ugh

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit