PRAYING.... Is it the answer to eating disorders?

by Gill 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lowden
    lowden

Kitten

I'm all for sexual equality me y'know....just as long as she's submissive to my demands.

..and Gravy

Lowden

• Gill
    Gill

I was just looking at the article again. It shows a young woman with head bowed, in prayer over her sandwiches. 'You might have to pray for the desire to get better,' is the caption that goes with it.

The fault is with the victim. They do not desire recovery enough.

An article like this can cause far more damage than it can even begin to repair.

In the advice to parents there is NO mention of 'take your daughter to a doctor, NOW!' Nothing.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Dear Jemima

Please help me stop eating out, I know I really like it, but I do it way too much, then afterwards I feel guilty about it.

Oh yeah also please help me stop going to restaurants too much, I need to loose at least 20 pounds.

Amen

• Gill
    Gill

My apologies to all 'believers' but since when did talking to one's imaginary 'friend' solve anyone's problems, especially when you know that your imaginary friend is hell bent on bringing mass annihalation to anyone who doesn't believe in him, anytime soooooooooooon!

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    just as long as she's submissive to my demands.

If you demand I stop having an eating disorder you can be my god.

Oh bugger, I just remembered I dont have an eating disorder. I have troughed a whole punnet of plums tonight though, with the expected consequences!

• parakeet
    parakeet

Many eating disorders, including anorexia nervosa and bulimia, may be psychiatric in nature, but that fact does not mean these disorders should not be taken seriously. I've seen stick-thin patients whose idea of a huge snack was to paste a dot of peanut butter on a corn flake. Many of these patients die.
    Several years ago I worked for a hospital review board whose function was to evaluate new medical studies that involve human participants.
    At one meeting, a research proposal for a new treatment for anorexia nervosa was dicussed. The proposed experimental treatment involved a moderate degree of risk for the patient. At first the board was hesitant to approve a relatively risky treatment for a psychiatric disorder. But when several pediatric and psychiatric M.D.s reminded the others that the condition has a VERY HIGH RATE OF MORTALITY, the board approved it unanimously.
    For the WTS to advocate prayer first and medical treatment as a last resort for eating disorders is criminal. Such advice will cause, and almost certainly has already caused, needless deaths.

• sspo
    sspo

The sad part of it all, those that know of your problem in the congr. they will usually look down on the person for doing it,not having enough faith and even be marked for having such a problem.

When i was an elder and were coping with a teenager with a problem of cutting herself due to emotional and psycological problem, the elders were the first to look down on her even claiming she was involved with demons since the canaanites used to do that in their worship.

She eventually got help not thru prayers but thru a few years of professional help.

• Gill
    Gill

Parakeet - It's insane to tell an anorexic that praying to God for the 'desire' to get better is the answer. It's not just criminal it's unbelievable ignorant.

It's on a par with telling a cancer sufferer that their first answer should be to pray.

There is an anorexic young JW girl who lives down the road from us. She did spend weeks under daily hospital care a few years ago but she had definitely returned to her former illness with a vengeance. I noticed that not only was she stick thin but now developing a round tummy of the starving.

However, her parents are now reluctant to return her to a psychiatrist though why that is my mother did not know.

I don't think this mag article is going to encourage any one in the right direction of seeking psychiatric care for a deadly illness.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    My apologies to all 'believers' but since when did talking to one's imaginary 'friend' solve anyone's problems, especially when you know that your imaginary friend is hell bent on bringing mass annihalation to anyone who doesn't believe in him, anytime soooooooooooon!

Precisely Gill. Assuming a God exists why would you want to pray to an absentee landlord guilty of genocide on numerous occasions? Furthermore assuming all that and you did pray to him...where was he when the tsunami hit asia? Where was he when those that died offered their prayers? If he didnt respond then why would he respond to just one person who simply (not being disrespectful) has mental health problems? In the words of a very good friend of mine....'Gods a c**t'! DB74

• sspo
    sspo

Last night, someone asked me how my wife was doing, I had to tell her that she had left me and moved to a different congr.

She did not have much to say but " well pray about it maybe things will work out"

That gave me a lot of comfort

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit