Overrun with Watchtowers

by Swamboozled 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

haha most garbage men have more sense than that

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

The magazines used to come to the Congregation in 40 magazine, round rolls. They worked great in the home fireplaces! Also, they individually could be put in the bottom of bird cages!

Outaservice

• aoxo
    aoxo

i remember that new york. our cong. had so many that it took like a whole year to get rid of them all.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

YIKES! Talk about surplus magazines! I began to "study the bible" in 1969 and DAed in 1999......and had been accumulating them and ALL the literature for 30 years, like a dutful (more like pitiful) JW! Having five kids who ALL "needed" fully equipped for indoctrination WTS literature, and all the books "needed" for their meeting participation and preparation---our house was overloaded with the stuff!

We were constantly encouraged by the WTS that all family members should have his/her own subscriptions to the magazines, and their own personal copies of all the "study" books and Yearbooks,etc, to begin their own library for when they eventually left the house to be on their own.

I had stacks and stacks of boxes of books and mags that I felt bordered on sacreligious if I thought of disposing of them.....so it almost became an obsession to keep every one of them! I always thought that somebody could USE them, so I had better hang on to them all. Needless to say, I was brainwashed in more ways than one, wasn't I?

A few months after I wrote my DA letter, I still had not cleaned out my stash of WTS litter-ature, and realized that lightening would not strike me where I stood as I went about some serious housecleaning (not to mention the fire hazard in the attic, mind you) and I began the monumental task of tying up these publications to be taken to the town landfill. (I've always called it the dump which is what it is and where these belonged) but have kept in mind the stories and "experiences" that we used to hear about;

Those being like the one of the man who was raking in his yard and found a half a page from an old WT mag stuck in his fence and lo and behold---he picked it up---read the few lines from it---and subsequently became an avid JW because of it all. I wanted to make sure THAT never happened once my stash had left my sight.

...so I wrapped the things as if they were taking a trip by oxcart over cobblestone roads, and made them all but impossible for anyone to get into to retrieve anything! I figured I had been bloodguilty enough for all those years of placing that crap into unsuspecting people's hands at their doors.....I wanted to be super careful of not falling into that trap again!

One word of caution though, as eager as I was (and as internally cleansing as IT was) to rid my home of the excess reading material......I am somewhat sorry that I tossed out things like the "study" books and the books that were used during the 70s-90s that I could have used to prove the WTS lies and foolish doctrine. Even now I find myself clicking on the "QUOTES" type of info, when I had most of it here to begin with! The "Proclaimers" book was one of thhe first I tossed out.....and I regret being quite so hasty as it would be good for a few laughs now, not to mention how incredibly stupid the "lifesaving information" sounds from this side of the fence! Good GRIEF I was SO gullible and so stupid!

So those of you who are fairly "new" in walking away from "da troof that leads to heartache", don't be so quick in getting rid of the hard-cover publications that will definitely come in "handy" in the future to disprove what the WTS claims. I would have held on to these had I known I would be so involved with keeping people OUT of this excuse for a "religion"....as I used to be trying to find people to "study" with!

hugs,

Annie

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    The strangest place I found one was in the dog's kennel. She was probably using it to wipe her a$$.

That's about the best use for any wts literature, and we have a dog....

I disposed of some when I left, but most of it is boxed up in my mums spare bedroom. I haven't looked at it in months, thought I keep saying I will go there and sort it out. I'll do it someday.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit