It seems.......

by agapa37 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings agapa37

A belated welcome to JWD. Relax, this is fun place!

Dismembered

• dozy
    dozy

Agap , although the forum purports to "welcome anyone" , in reality it tends to be something of a "WTS in reverse" forum - ie intolerant of any positive or even neutral comment about the bible in general and JWs in particular. The following reaction to one of my posts is fairly typical...

.Well dozy, a very typical [JW] I would say. Lets see, a complete hypocrite for participating in an apostate website and discussion board in direct violation of the societie's "fatwahs"? An apologist for a corrupt, vile cult that destroys families and lives? An expert at talking out of both sides of your mouth???

You made the (understandable) mistake of talking about the bible assuming that most of the posters would be interested. In reality , there are only a few posters who have maintained a belief in the scriptures after exiting from JW (usually of a "born again" or fundamentalist persuasion) and these tend to keep their heads down as far as their beliefs are concerned to maintain their popularity & status.

Might I respectfully suggest you either try an exclusively JW forum if you are a practising JW or one of the many forums that discuss Christian beliefs if you want to discuss scripture or doctrine. Otherwise , enjoy the lively debate on JWD - if you dig enough in the dirt , you just might find the occasional diamond!

• done4good
    done4good

Welcome, Agapa.

In fairness guys, there may be good reason why she is evading the "are you an active witness" question. Many jws that lurk, (and post), here know they can get into trouble if they were found out. Chilling out needs to go both ways buds.

j

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Several of us have attempted to engage you in debate about certain biblical points and analyses you have presented in other threads. These attempts were all made in the spirit of exchange and interaction. At one point I merely asked you if you were an active JW, simply because I wanted to understand where you were coming from in your stated positions. Nothing rude about that at all. You chose to ignore my question, which in fact, is very rude. And you refused to answer several of the discussion questions posed to you by Ozzie, a long-time and well-respected member of the board and moderator.

I suggest you realize that this is a free discussion board. Discussion involves the presentation of various angles and viewpoints, not all of which you will like or agree with. Its a very different world here than in the kingdom hall. And there is a reason the watcthtower has advised active JWs not to frequent apostate message boards such as this one.

Well said kid-A.

Chris

• kid-A
    kid-A

there may be good reason why she is evading the "are you an active witness" question

I agree. However, this DB is completely anonymous and I see no danger in simply stating whether one is or is not an active JW. I like to know where people are coming from, it certainly facilitates discussion. Frankly, I wish more active JWs did participate on the board. As long as they are coming to discuss and debate and not simply expecting a JW-style group think experience where everyone happily agrees with their perspective.

On another point, if one is an active JW, why would'nt such an individual proclaim this? Its simple, really: "Hey folks, I'm an active JW and I believe X and Y and disagree with X and Y, etc etc". Cool. No problem. I enjoy a lively and heated debate. In fact, there was a previous poster here, defd, who posted as an active JW and was treated with complete respect here in the context of debate. I thought his support of the WTS was absurd, yet I respected the fact that he was upfront about where he stood as an active JW.

The problem arises when apologists (and I dont consider Agapa an apologist) attempt to belittle the painful experiences many ex-dubs have endured or are callously dismissive of the ruinous and hateful policies of the JWs, the same policies and beliefs that have led to the deaths of children and the destruction of families.

p.s. Thanks Tex!

• acadian
    acadian

Welcome to the board Agape!

there are some bright minds on this board

And not so bright. But, if you hang out for a while you'll see the majority here are good hearted and only want to be your friends. Dogma doesn't go over well here, as can be expected since many here came from a dogmatic religion. So if you are dogmatic in your posts expect a little flack. And remember this, if we didn't care about you, we wouldn't be commenting to this post. Please stay and get to know us! Kind Regards Acadian

• agapa37
    agapa37

Thanks for the kind words from some of you...

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    Thanks for the kind words from some of you...

It's that a bit of the pot calling the kettle black? Geez if you don't like some of the comments either take them on or just ignore them. Not everyone here is going to agree with you or even like you. This is the world of cyber space. Very similar to the real world, ain't it?

Josie

• earthtone
    earthtone

(((((Agapa))))

Welcome! I've read some of your posts and I do think some were intentionally being difficult, but just ignore them. I don't think it's rude. IMO you don't have to reply to everything that is said, if it's said in a spiteful manner. But that is my opinion, some may not agree.

I appreciated your intentions. Sorry you feel ganged up on at times. I think the majority are really nice and have been very helpful to me. I love this site. I feel bad that you are not experiencing the samething.

• saki2fifty
    saki2fifty
    Let me assure you that JWD is a welcoming place - as I'm sure you realised when you were lurking, eh?

I'm an active witness... and I've found this place to be just that. However, regardless of what type of topic/thread you may start or contribute in, you will have mixed replies... both what you were expecting, and not. I have read some of your posts, and something as simple as not using CAPS unless you have to absolutley have to, might ease some of the responses. BOLD with caps stresses a point even further, and some may take it as yelling or more. If you want to stress a point, without seeming abnoxious... simply underline it, and they'll get the point. Even italics can be used for stressing something, but usually reserved for quotes.

BOLD AND CAPS ARE HARSH! AND NO, IM NOT YELLING... NO... NOOOOOO... well, maybe I am now.

And expect to respond to everyone that responds to you... otherwise they'll think you're purposely ignoring them. I've seen this many times over... I'm still waiting for the weekend to respond to some things i've been waiting for. Only simple responses from me until then.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit