Baptized July 05. Left Dec 05.

by Moomin 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• Moomin
    Moomin

Hi,

I have been lurking on these forums for about 6 months and thought it was time to join in.

I was a child/teen when I first became introduced to Jehovah's Witnesses through my mum who studied for a while but never fully committed. I had a study and attended some meetings but it all petered out by the time I hit my late teens and we moved to another town.

For the following 10 years I just lived my life how I pleased. Got married etc. But I never stopped believing that the witnesses had the truth. I was always determined that someday soon I would go back and really work hard at learning about God and the Bible.

To cut a long story short, I attended the memorial in March 05, was out on field service a couple of months later and then I got baptised in July of that year at the convention in Norwich. I was really up for it all at first and couldn't wait to learn new things. I am still reeling from the shock of how quickly I became so miserable and no matter how much studying I did I never felt like I was learning anything about the Bible. It seemed to be either overly simplistic and quite patronizing or so fanatical that I felt embarrassed to read it.

I was also so surprised by the amount of back stabbing and competitive spirit in my congregation and I found the nosiness quite sickening. They were obsessed with getting my husband interested from day one and so I found myself every week talking about the reasons why he wasn't interested but they continued to tell me to show him magazines and videos. I wasn't assertive enough to tell them that I thought it very unfair that I felt so pressured to make my husband see that its the truth when I was so new to it still. I was determined to just keep my head down and get on with things but found that it just wasn't possible.

There were lots of things that I experienced that made me start to dread the meetings and the field service and often when I came home afterwards I would just sit there with a knot in my chest. The last meeting I attended was the Thursday before christmas and I knew as I sat there it would be my last. A few weeks later I read Crisis of Conscience and shortly after sent my DA letter.

I look forward to joining in from now on.

• poppers
    poppers
    Baptized July 05. Left Dec 05.

Wow - that must be some kind of record! Welcome to JWD - glad to have you here.

poppers

• barry
    barry

Gday Moomin, Youre in the right place here, people here have a wealth of information about theWT Society

• anewme
    anewme

Wow! A record indeed!!!!

You sure are a bright one to see the light so quickly!

Welcome to the forum Moomin!

Anewme

• jgnat
    jgnat

Good for you, moomin. How's hubby taking this change of events? I'm the non-JW half of a JW marriage. I would be offended, too, if the congregation were putting any pressure on my husband to conform, or nosing about in our business. Not that it stops them..

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi Moomin, and welcome to the forum.

Wow, you are a quick learner. It took me over 20 years to figure out the wts hadn't got the truth. I acted pretty quickly then though, and da'd myself.

It's not unusual for the jws to put pressure on a new witness to try to bring their unbelieving mate in, but it is unfair to put that sort of pressure on someone who is just finding their feet in the religion themselves. I have known instances where the ubm did join, but it's obviously backfired on them in your case as instead of him joining, you've left. I expect you get shunned by the jws now, but that won't happen here. The friendship on this forum is unconditional.

Enjoy your time with us, I look forward to hearing more from you.

love

Linda

• Highlander
    Highlander

Ya know, it wouldn't that hard to attend a local congo here, pretend to be an interested one(using a different name ofcourse) then get

baptized, and turn in my DA letter a week later. That would ALMOST be fun, as it would probably confuse the local j-dubs to no end.

It's not like they check my driver's license or ID, I could easily do this at many congos, since I live in a very, very large metro area.

But on the other hand,, I've got much better uses of my time.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Wellll ain't you sumptin? Good for you!!!

I'm glad you didn't waste years of your life and your children's childhood inside.

Welcome, glad you found us.

lisa

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Hi Moomin,

Good to have you here. I am so glad that you got out quickly before you could suffer the damage that sadly many thousands have suffered at the hands of the WT. Women especially seem to get the brunt of it. Anyway, welcome Lilly

• gymbob
    gymbob

Moomin~

Welcome! Good for you for seeing the light so quickly, and keep posting!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit