How many meetings could you miss in a row and no questions asked?

by JH 24 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

How many consecutive meetings could you miss without the elders making a funny face next time they saw you?

Usually if I missed 3 meetings in a row or if the elders didn't see me for a whole week, it would show on their face at the next meeting.

Then if I attended 3 in a row, their smiles came back.

• JH
    JH

If I missed meetings for two months in a row, then an elder would call to see whats going on. They would do that only once or twice and then they would give up.....

I've been on and off so often, that I know when they give up.

• jambon1
    jambon1

Depends who you were.

• atypical
    atypical

Me, no more than one or two. Then it was the good old, "Haven't seen you in forever!" even though it had only been less than a week.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Hello

I started to notice at my old Hall that we never seemed to have all 7 elders present for any of the meetings. We were short every week. So I started to keep a record of which elders missed the meetings. I kept this up for 13 straight weeks before I missed a meeting myself and so couldn't keep an accurate record. In those 13 weeks we never had all the elders present. Not once. There was always at least 2 missing every meeting and usually 3 or 4 missing.

The best bit was the Presiding Overseer missed 10 straight Sunday meetings. I mentioned this to my mother who wouldn't believe me.

Thanks

Thomas Covenant

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

yeah, those pesky meetings. I've gotten to where I really don't mind the "look". Who gives a flip? If they have to resort to dirty looks or petty remarks, then obviously they are pretty powerless in this area.

• blondie
    blondie

I agree, it depends on who you are.

I know a couple who went on vacation for 2 months...no one noticed.

If you are an elder or MS who has weekly parts, you will be missed if you don't show up for your part.

If you are someone who regularly picks someone else up, you will be noticed because someone else will have to have the inconvenient "privilege."

I missed meetings and no one called; 2 years later they still had not called.

I hated people who called and wanted an explanation/justification of why you missed..........I asked once if I needed a note from the doctor.

Blondie

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings JH,

:How many consecutive meetings could you miss without the elders making a funny face next time they saw you

2 or 3, then they look at you like they were constipated. Remember, If they have to go, you have to go. (No pun intended)

Dismembered

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

If any supposedly - strong jw missed 3 meetings, the po or their book study conductor would phone them. The so - called weak jws could miss every meeting for weeks on end and no one would bother them.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    If you are an elder or MS who has weekly parts, you will be missed if you don't show up for your part.

Sorry Blondie, sometimes my mind slums it in the gutter - that just made me smirk.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit