Jesus said his load would be light, the Witnesses made that load very heavy

by free2beme 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I remember mom saying that even when we don't feel like going to the meeting we always feel better when we get home. She said this was because we had god's blessing..me it was just relief it was over. I remember meeting nights were weird at first but they became relaxing and all of a sudden there was more time..I always cut corners any way I could but leaving did give me more time.

• Arthur
    Arthur
    I remember mom saying that even when we don't feel like going to the meeting we always feel better when we get home. She said this was because we had god's blessing..

Yeah, I remember hearing this load over and over again. But, look at all of the activities that we feel built up after. Going to a wonderful play, listening to some soothing music, going to a great art museum, spending time with our loved pet, and watching a really funny movie. Are they going to say that God's spirit was in the movie theater, because we came out feeling better than when we went in?

If only these people would try thinking once in a while.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Yep, anything besides the gospels is just 'adding to scripture'. Who care what decisions were made in the X century?

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi Free,

I agree - not only the GB, but elders and even rank & file JWs add unnecessary rules and try to enforce unnecessary rules.

I also agree that JWs are becoming like the Catholic Church without the riches and the influence of the outside world .

• vitty
    vitty

I think the feeling that you feel better after going to a meeting is 1) your relieved its over for a couple of days and 2) You dont feel guilty......3) if Armageddon came during THAT night youd be safe

edited to add 4) You dont get a phone call asking where you where and having to lie...............well you can say you just didnt feel like going, can you

• Mary
    Mary

If you compare what Jesus said about the Pharisees and heavy loads and then compare it to the Borg's own words, there's not any difference.....in fact, the term "Pharisees" and "Governing Body" are completely interchangable:

(Matthew 23:4-6) 4

They bind up heavy loads and put them upon the shoulders of men, but they themselves are not willing to budge them with their finger. 5 All the works they do they do to be viewed by men; for they broaden the [scripture-containing] cases that they wear as safeguards, and enlarge the fringes [of their garments]. 6 . . .

w04 4/15 p. 15 God’s People Must Love Kindness ***

All too many earthly rulers, religious or otherwise, exhaust the people with wearisome burdens of endless rules and thankless tasks. Yet, what Jesus requires of his followers fits their needs and abilities. A refreshing, kindly yoke indeed

w01 12/15 p. 19 "Learn From Me" ***

Pick, pick, pick. That was the Pharisaic way. The Pharisees looked for every flaw—real or imagined. They kept people on the defensive and reminded them of their failures. The Pharisees prided themselves on tithing the tiniest herbs, like mint, dill, and cumin. They advertised their piety by their dress and tried to direct the nation.

w97 1/15 p. 19 What Does God Require of Us? ***

"Keep his commandments." Basically, that is what God expects of us. Is that too much for him to ask? Not at all. The apostle John tells us something very reassuring about God’s commandments, or requirements. He wrote: "This is what the love of God means, that we observe his commandments; and yet his commandments are not burdensome."—1 John 5:3.

The Greek word translated "burdensome" literally means "heavy." It can refer to something that is hard to live up to or difficult to fulfill. At Matthew 23:4, it is used to describe the "heavy loads," the man-made rules and traditions, that the scribes and Pharisees put upon people.

w04 6/1 p. 16 Blessed Are Those Who Give Glory to God ***

Sad to say, some have begun to give in under the pressures of life, neglecting their spiritual responsibilities. (Matthew 13:20-22) One Witness said this about why meeting attendance in his congregation was low: "The brothers are just getting tired. They’re all stressed out." Granted, people today have many reasons to be tired. It is, therefore, easy to view God’s worship as another pressure, a burdensome obligation. But is that a healthy—or correct—view?

w03 10/15 p. 23 Youths, Walk Worthily of Jehovah ***

Maintaining a good routine of personal study, meeting attendance, and field service may seem difficult (which it shouldn't seem, if the load was indeed, kindly and light as Jesus promised) (Philippians 3:16) Setting and working toward spiritual goals may also not be easy.

• hambeak
    hambeak

Well I need some help in letting the witnesses know, in a nice way that I really don't want them coming to my auto repair shop every freaking Saturday and insisting I come back int to fold. Any Ideas how to let them down easily? A lot of them are my customers.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    even when we don't feel like going to the meeting we always feel better when we get home.

I totally agree. That 'good feeling' was just the releif that it was over, cleverly interpreted as something else.

They are worse than the pharisees for adding to the law. But they still bash on about how wicked the pharisees were.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Yes they sure liked to keep everybody busy, it gave us less time to think for ourselves.

My boyfriend reckons that the gb might have been influenced by the story of Oliver Twist - however much the dubs gave them, they always came back and said "we want some more".

• poppers
    poppers

Even listening to a lot of the on air religious programs they make christianity to be something more than Jesus' words, "My yoke is easy, and my burden is light". The JWs certainly don't follow what he said.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit