Recent Talk by CO

by restrangled 32 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

My Uncle just informed me that a talk given 2 months ago "Obedience or Innovation" by the CO sent chills up his spine. This talk is apparently making the rounds delivered by all CO's and is part of what seems to be a get in or be shunned renewed effort. It is the same talk that apparently sent my mom over the edge with me after 30 years out.

He said he sat there thinking this is going to create havoc in many families. It was delivered by a 30 year old CO with no kids. He was furious and decided not to attend the latest District Assembly. This is a man who is still in, served in Bethel and has seen it all. He has his own opinions and let his kids decide for themselves with no reservations, retrobutions, etc....... (we all should have been so fortunate!)

A most unlikely character in the JW fold.

Anyway, I just wondered if any of you still attending had heard this talk or if someone has a transcript.

r.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

"Obedience or Innovation"?? What's that supposed to mean?

• restrangled
    restrangled

Daniel-P

Think about it, Obedience as in following orders or Innovation as in making up your own rules. No rocket science thinking required.

r.

• Warlock
    Warlock

I sure would like to know what's in that talk. That may be the "September Suprise".

Your uncle is a wise man.

Warlock

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    Think about it, Obedience as in following orders or Innovation as in making up your own rules. No rocket science thinking required.

True, no rocket science is required... just good English. To pair the word "obedience" with "innovation" requires a mental leap in conjuring up an explanation. To obey or to innovate does not convey opposite abstracts. It sounds like a highschool student came up with that title. The following titles would be better: Obedience or Independence? Obedience or Rebellion?

• restrangled
    restrangled

Daniel-P you are absolutely correct. I am only quoting what I was told, but think about where it is coming from. Seems to fit right in ...don't you think?!!!!!! :)

r.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

After the talk, everyone is invited to line up at the Contribution Box to make a donation and then receive a complementary cup of Kool-Aid.

• Mary
    Mary
    This talk is apparently making the rounds delivered by all CO's and is part of what seems to be a get in or be shunned renewed effort.

They'd be stupid to try and force the issue because families are already reeling from the "ignore DF'd family members" doctrine. If they try and force people to shun those who are either inactive or have drifted away, their stats and figures are going to drop even further, and their reputation is going to sink even lower than George Dubya's. It also would fly in direct contrast to their latest line of trying to win back those who have drifted away...........

• freetosee
    freetosee

The title of the talk sounds more like a self chosen title of a service talk (no outline). It would be interesting to see if the transcript makes a difference between inactive ones being week because of sin or because of independent thinking. The WTS knows the potential danger of well informed undercover apostates. Otherwise I agree with Mary. fts

• restrangled
    restrangled

Dear Mary,

I still don't know how to copy a quote, but what you quoted from me has further ramifications. I was asked if I was willing to meet with the elders, and my belief that this is God's inspired organization. I answered no to the first and yes to the second out of a remote response.

It did not seem to make a difference. My mother informed me this was it. It's over.. I've been gone 30 years, we were best friends.

This CO seemed to be able to hold influance over her like no other after his talk. I am 17 years older than the moron and absolutely much more experienced. He has never raised children, probably never had a job that required thinking, and now has the nerve to tell my 74 year old mother I am no good. My anger level is over the top. My mother even stated to me that she told him,"I was all she had after losing her husband and son." He stated too bad, nothing has worked to get her (me) back in, you now need to follow the rules"...no innovation.

She let me go.

I am now beyond angry over this due to my taking care of my parents. I will not go into this here but the Bullshit Society demands adherence no matter what. I am just waiting to hear that my father's savings and hard work were all given to the Society.

R.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit