CO has been coming to my door. Would like 1 or 2 solid and easy arguments.

by The Laser Viking 51 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Laser Viking
    The Laser Viking

I am 6th generation. I have been out for a few years.

Back story on the situation:

I had a CO come by while going door-to-door in the neighborhood. I told him I was raised JW and he has come bck a few times.

This last time he asked for a specific example of my doubts that caused me to leave. I mentioned the WTS and all the prophesies they have made that hadn't come true and what the Bible says about false prophets. I also asked him how he rationalizes these things in his own mind. I also mentioned Russell and The Finished Mystery in 1919 when Jesus was said to have chosen the Bible Students and all the whacky things contained in that book and being taught at that time. He told me he would get back to me. I got a text from him today asking me to watch the 2 part video Faith In Action.

So I am looking for one or two solid and basic points that I can make that would demand an answer/explanation. I don't want to come off too apostate-y. So just a simple point that I can give as to why, with my Bible trained conscience, I cannot be a Witness.

What would you suggest? Thanks!

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    If I remember correctly (not for sure since it has been a while), GB member Jackson comes out in that video saying that JW do not claim to be inspired by holy spirit. Can't remember which one of the two videos it is. Have you watch them?
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Well, maybe you could say that once you figured out that the JWs are structured in exactly the same way as the Catholic Church's hierarchy - the GB are the same as the Pope - that you could not in good conscience continue to follow their teachings.

• The Laser Viking
    The Laser Viking

I started watching the first one. I will watch them later.

There isn't really anything specific in the videos (from what I have heard) that I can solidly refute. It seems to be a cherry-picking of their history.

Some topics I was considering raising:

The flood could not have happened.

Going beyond what is written - blood fractions, beards, sisters wearing pants to meetings, etc

Looking for some simple statements that would be hard to defend against in any real way....without setting off too many apostate alarms.

• sir82
    sir82

I think the blatantly obvious out-of-context quotations used in dozens of their publications would be a good place to start. The most recent out-of-context quote is right there on page 3 of the January 2015 Awake magazine - there are several threads on that item in this forum.

"How can I trust anything the organization says, if it is so utterly dishonest in what it prints?"

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    So what is exactly your end goal? Why don't you want to come thru as "too apostate". Do you want to continue engaging this guy ?
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

BEWARE: If you were ever baptized, you can still be DFd, even if you have been inactive for years. The fact that you have been inactive so long might make that more difficult if they cannot locate old Publisher Records Cards, but they can kick out anyone that causes too much trouble.

I'd bet you'll never see him again. JWs at that level (CO) have to know TTATT to some extent.

If you do get the chance to "debate" and decide to go for it, I agree with STA on the blatant misquotes from WT publications. You can find exhaustive examples on jwfacts.com.

They also blatantly lied in the introduction of Faith In Action when saying the Bible Students predicted huge changes in 1914 even though they didn't know what exactly. Call BS on that. They plainly said that 1914 would usher in Armageddon, the BS would be raptured, and the world would be destroyed.

Doc

• Giordano
    Giordano

Probably the best thing to say is how disturbing the JW pedophile issue has been to you caused by the two witness rule. Ask him to Google it and get back to you on what he learns.

Here's the latest http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/leaders-jehovahs-witnesses-cover-child-sex-abuse/

• The Laser Viking
    The Laser Viking

I didn't really intend on engaging with him this much. I don't really have an end goal.

I was baptized and made it a point to not be DFed when I left. I still have a good relationship my my parents.

I like the suggestion of the dishonesty of the quotes they use.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Check this out:

Misquotes; Deceptions; Lies from jwfacts

But remember, it's best to have non-apostate sources for anything you choose to show an active JW. Perhaps you got the info from someone at work or from an unbelieving family member. (?) If they know it's from an apostate site, they'll shut down immediately.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit