Has anybody successfully quit using caffeine altogether?

by DanTheMan 43 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Just got back from my morning 'fix' at the coffee house, and viola, what do I see? This thread!

Plus as I type this I am sipping yet another home brewed cup. [Wifey is off today sick and made a pot].

No - have tried to end this addiction a few times but always go back.

Hint: Join the Mormons. They will keep you free of the filthy stuff.

Jeff

• james_woods
    james_woods

I guess everybody has a different experience with this - for me, caffeine just never seemed to "do" much of anything. I drink coffee only at work in the morning, hardly ever at home on vacation or the weekend. I never could tell that it made me more active, kept me awake, or anything. Don't notice when I don't drink it for a while either.

Actually, when I saw this thread, I noticed that I didn't get coffee at all today, just made a cup of ice water. So, I guess it wouldn't be that tough for me to go Mormon -

Except for the beer!!! (and of course the belief system - and the need to manage a dozen or so contentious starving wives without the beer-)

James

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

A while ago... when times were thinner... I was a week away from payday, and had very little cash.

My daily habits included going to coffee every morning... and having like about 4 to 5 cups to drink. I never have been one to drink coffee throughout the day, but those 4 or 5 would get me going.

Anyway... since I didn't have the money to pay for the coffee at the local restaurant, I just didn't go.

Quit cold-turkey.

YIKES!!!!!!!!!! Talk about major headaches! But, I'm stubborn (and didn't have much cash), so I hung in there. Eventually, the headaches receded into the background noise, and then went away. That was a loooong week.

I didn't quit drinking coffee (or other caffeine drinks) 100% though, and will still get my coffee on the weekends, but it is possible to reduce your intake. *twitch twitch*

Regards,

Jim TX

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Why would you want to give up something as great as caffeine?? Just look at me... nerves of steel!

• Twitch
    Twitch

I haven't quit entirely, but I limit myself to one cup a day and only at work first thing in the morning. The rest of the day I drink water and work and juice/V8 at home.

It wasn't that long ago I would drink coffee all day at work, hit the bar after work and usually pub crawl in the evenings. I hit the wall and quit drinking hooch for a year, during which time I switched to coffee in the evenings as well. I was pretty wired all the time but I guess it was better than being drunk. It took a toll on my body, no doubt about that.

I haven't made a pot of coffee at home in months. I don't miss it and rarely have it in the evenings or on weekends. There's nothing like a good Starbucks though,.....

• damselfly
    damselfly

I've tried a couple of time to quit but it never lasts more then a few days. Once I made it two weeks but then I caved. I loves my morning coffee!
    I have cut back and now try to only have one a day. (mind you it's a large one)

Tea is NOT a good sub for coffee. What I found to work the best is to cut the regular coffee with de-caf. Start out 1 part de-caf to 3 parts regular and just increase the de-caf gradually over a few weeks.

Dams

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I've stopped putting sugar tea in my tea if that counts!

FF

• JH
    JH
    I have been in and out of the hospital all last month because of my caffeine intake

Brooke, try the decaffeinated coke, it tastes just like the real thing.

don't drink the diet one though.....

• juni
    juni

Hi DantheMan!

I have the same problems as you. I was never a big coffee drinker in the first place so it was easier to stop. Only take a couple of sips of my husband's coffee and that's only 1x a week. I drink a lot of water.

Others' suggestions were very good. Would taking a shower and going for a brisk walk before you go to work help to "wake" you up??

Just a thought.

Juni

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

AK - Jeff:

Hint: Join the Mormons. They will keep you free of the filthy stuff.

hmmmm, caffeine addiction vs. mormonism, which to choose...lol

James Woods:

I guess everybody has a different experience with this - for me, caffeine just never seemed to "do" much of anything

On weekends when I'm not under as much stress as I am during the week, coffee doesn't seem to have such noticeable effects. At work it's a different story - i start compulsively downing mug after mug of the stuff, and by the time 11:00 rolls around I'm seated in my cube with my jaw clenched and mind racing in unpleasant ways.

Jim TX, good job on being able to reduce your intake. I find that, as mentioned, i get really compulsive with the stuff at work.

dams:

I have cut back and now try to only have one a day. (mind you it's a large one)

I find that the general definition of a "cup" of coffee is between 6 and 8 ounces, and so that whatever you're getting at starbucks is probably at least worth three cups :)

Juni:

Would taking a shower and going for a brisk walk before you go to work help to "wake" you up??

My neighborhood is crappy, or else I would walk in the morning, but i may be moving soon, so i'll keep your suggestion in mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit