Why WHITBY is so important to us all!

by Gill 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• south african beef
    south african beef

Hi Gill.

You do make Whitby and Yorkshire sound a wonderful place and I shouldn't prejudge it just because it's 'oop north'.

We drove all the way from Essex to the Isle of Skye last year and some of the scenery in Scotland was absotlutely breathtaking. Also I have driven along the North antrim coastline in Northern Ireland and that is fantastic.

Yes, one day I will travel up to Yorkshire, to prove to myself why they call it 'Gods own country'.

Regards

SAB

• Gill
    Gill

South african beef - Well if you've been up to Scotland, then there's no way you'll be disappointed with Yorkshire. I hope you love it when you go.

'God's own country' - certainly speaks for itself.

What I keep kicking myself for, is that this ancient history, or at least the knowledge of it, has been out there, ready to be known for all my life. Not till I left the closed minded community of the JWs did I even begin to start the journey of discovery..and it's so exciting. So much yet to find out. It wasn't even necessary to travel to the Holy Land to find out 'Why?' I just had to go back 'Home'.

• south african beef
    south african beef

Gill, I know what you mean - after all those years of being told that all churches were part of Satans world, I realised that a lot of churches are very very beautiful, and even though I do not consider myself a christian now, I am in awe at the splendour and majesty of some of them, particularly the cathedrals.

SAB

• Mistah MOJO
    Mistah MOJO

What a marvelous bit of history to tuck away! I love it. Thank you. I am under the impression that Celtic Christianity was Arian. Am I correct? MM

• eddie c
    eddie c

Gill,

The Magpie Cafe.

We noticed this,there were long-long queues waiting to get in,the grub must be good.

• Gill
    Gill

SAB - I remember JWs always talking about magnificent cathedrals, ancient churches etc all being destroyed at Armageddon. I always thought, and of course never said, that it would be a terrible shame to lose those beautiful buildings. I would also not consider myself as a believer in any religion but appreciate the work and efforts of our ancestors.

Mistah MOJO - I'm not sure if the Celtic Christians were Arian in belief. It's possible that they did not, to begin with believe that the Christ was a divine being, but more a sort of prophet...but I could be totally wrong on that. I'm trying to find out some more. But what I have been able to find about Arians is that JWs and Christadelphians and a few other fundy groups share some of the Arian beliefs.

eddie C - The queues for the Magpie Cafe, start at mid morning for a lunch table! However, the food is very good and the chips - well, crisp on the outside, fluffy in the middle! Never enough ketchup for my kids, though!

• bem
    bem

The age of these historical places is awesome to me Whitby is on the itenerary for the my next U.K. visit, It is totally inspiring! especially when it hit me I couldn't show my friends from England anything 500 years old or older here in Oklahoma U.S. The dirt, rocks and mountains is the only thing I know of thats been here hundreds of years and beyond.

Heres a cool Whitby site I had saved: http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~dvess/ids/medieval/whitby/whitby.shtml

• greendawn
    greendawn

Interesting history, I visited Whitby while holidaying in Scarborough it was a very nice place. Interesting how the English church eventually split off from the church they had joined in the 7th century.

• Gill
    Gill

Bem - Great site! I hope you enjoy your visit when you go.

Greendawn - What's also interesting is how any religious thought or belief is only what suits whoever wants to believe it. If something is 'true' it's true. If it changes, wavers, alters, veers in different directions depending on current thoughts and idea and proven facts, then who's to know if it's fact or not.

I had personally never known that other than all the religions that exist now, that these religions all had different 'faces' and different, always developing, different understandings on what ever their beliefs may be.

There is no 'absolute truth' when it comes to religion.

Maybe at 'Babel' God didn't 'burden' the human race with different languages, but different religions. The language barrier can, with training be summounted, but religious folk....now there's an ongoing mystery that will continue to handicap the human race for generations.

• uriah
    uriah

Also whitby was where Dracula stopped off for a bite to eat too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit