Why WHITBY is so important to us all!

by Gill 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gill
    Gill

The phrase is 'The Truth is Out There' and when we stumble across it by accident, it can't help but make a person wonder what else they never knew, and how pieces of the jigsaw gradually begin to fit together as we search for the 'truths of history'.

I love Whitby. Whitby is a small town in the North Yorkshire Moors. It sits on the coast with the magnificent ruins of Whitby Abbey dominating the sky line. But, because of Whitby and what happened here in 664 Christians today believe as they do.

In 664 the Synod of Whitby took place. The clergy decided to adopt the Roman Catholic version of Christianity in Britain and abandon the Celtic version. They wanted unity with the Holy Roman Power and prefered its power to Celtic traditions.

It's as simple as that. People believe as they do today because of that Synod that took place in this beautiful fishing town nearly one and a half thousand years ago.

It makes me smile, that all those years as a JW, I never knew the real history of Christianity and the Bible. When I stumble across another small, but important part of the jigsaw, it makes me smile. In the end, it was all about power and control of the ordinary people.

Everyone should visit Whitby, or at least know about Whitby. Freedom comes from knowledge, and peace follows.

• aniron
    aniron

Visite Whitby many times in th epast not been for a few years. Beautiful place.

In 664 the Synod of Whitby took place. ; The clergy decided to adopt the Roman Catholic version of Christianity in Britain and abandon the Celtic version

What was the difference between the two versions? Was there any fundamental difference in teachings or just because the RC had a Pope?

• Gill
    Gill

There were a few fundamental differences, Aniron.

The Celtic Christianity was not dogmatic, less rules and restrictions. It preached love of nature and friendship and tolerance of ALL religions, unlike the RC faith.

They calculated Easter differently.

They did not venerate saints.

They had a sympathetic and loving attitude. For example, the RC church would not bury on consecrated ground, suicides, the unbaptised and criminals.

The Celtic Christians would bury such ones 'right up to the church walls' claiming they would be baptised by the rain falling from the eaves of the church.

Women had a much stronger role in society.

No persecution of witches was allowed. Following the only witch trial in Ireland, the witchfinder had to run for it!

The RC church reminds me of the strict fundamentalists of any religions today. The Celtic religion, embraced a more loving attitude.

They also had different views on 'original sin', 'immaculate conception', and organization. They were not demanding and authoritive.

I believe they did not believe that Peter was the foundation of the Church either.

I'm sure there are others who know even more about them. If there are, I'd like to know more also.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Plus they have cornered the market in Whitby jet.

Its a beautiful little town, its only major flaw being that it is full of northerners. (kk snickers)

• Gill
    Gill

And don't forget about the fossil remains!!!

If you want evidence that life has existed on earth for millions of years, the beaches around Whitby are brilliant.

They've recently dug up a new flying, formerly unknown dinosaur which is now being exhibited in Scarborough!!!

The northerners are great, Katie!!!! And the older Northerners, are very fit! They have to be walking up all those hills!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I've been to Whitby a few times, it's a lovely little town.

I didn't know about the Synod of Whitby though.

• eddie c
    eddie c

My wife and i were in Whitby last week,yes its a lovely place and what a great Harbour. We noticed that there is a large monument on the pier and posted on the side of it is a quote from Psalm 93? or was it Psalm 103?.

• aniron
    aniron

Came across this website

http://www.st-cuthberts.net/celspty.htm#celtic

Here is some of what is on site

Christianity first came to the Celts in the 2nd century, during the Roman occupation, possibly through Christians in the army. But it was not until late in the 4th century that the distinct characteristics of Celtic Christianity began to emerge. Following the Roman withdrawal from Britain at the beginning of the 5th century, there were nearly 200 years of separation between the Celtic and Roman churches, when the Celtic church developed its unique style and outlook

The Celtic church celebrated grace and nature as good gifts from God and recognised the sacredness of all creation. It had a love of mysticism and poetry, a deep respect for the feminine, included women in its leadership and allowed clerical marriages. The Celtic understanding of church leadership was rooted in its rural and agricultural communal culture, and the great Celtic monasteries emerged from this tribal system. Although the abbots were generally not ordained, the leadership and power in the Celtic church, lay with the abbots of the monasteries.

The roots of Celtic Christianity reach deep into the mysticism of St John the evangelist in the New Testament, and the wisdom tradition of the Old Testament. According to Celtic tradition, when St John leaned against Jesus at the Last Supper, he heard the heartbeat of God. Therefore, St John became a symbol of listening for the life of God in ourselves, and in all creation.

Because of the clear Biblical mandate to go into all the world and make disciples, missionary outreach was seen by Celtic Christians as a vital element in their search for the Holy. So, the 5th and 6th centuries were marked by large-scale conversions in Ireland and Britain, as Celtic converts who were usually monks spread Christianity. Martyrdom for the Christian faith was almost unknown because the Celtic approach to evangelism was peaceful and without bloodshed. By the beginning of the 6th century, Celtic Christianity was wholly monastic in its structure. But, because there was no central organising force, there was considerable variation in liturgical practises and monastic rules

The Roman and Celtic churches did not meet again until the Roman mission to Britain in 597, when there was considerable disagreement between them. This eventually led to the Synod of Whitby in 664, where the Celtic church argued from the authority of St John, and the Roman church appealed to the authority of St Peter.

• lowden
    lowden

Whitby's a nice place, if a bit Blackpoolified. The 'old town' is nicest and of course it's history is worth a nosey.

Personally i prefer Robin Hoods Bay just upt road, also very touristy but gorgeous all the same. Holidayed there twice....memories.

Peace

Lowden

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I like Robin Hoods Bay too.

I liked Robin Hood too. At least thats what he said he was called...

(I went for a very serious long walk there once which involved a half way sleep at RHB. It nearly killed me!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit