Why WHITBY is so important to us all!

by Gill 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Is it because the fish and chips are really good there!?

Don't get the "bit Blackpoolified" reference at all tho.

• Gill
    Gill

Aniron - Thanks for that! That's brilliant..really informative.

As for 'blackpoolified' - a small part of Whitby is sort of, but even that is cool - if you want something different. Infact, that's the beauty of Whitby, in that there's something for everyone there.

As for the fish and chips - Well! I drool as I think of them!!!!! We ate masses of fish and chips when we were there for two weeks, but we walked so much that we lost weight!

• juni
    juni

Hi Gill.

Lovely history and sounds like a beautiful place. My daughter did a lot of Celtic research. You are spot on. In order to turn people on the Celts they spread the untruths about witchcraft, etc.

Actually they were a very loving and encompassing faith.

Juni (my kids are 1/4 Irish so therefore the interest)

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

That's my point.

If just a SMALL part of Whitby is "Blackpoolified" it cant be "Blackpoolified"

To do that it would have to be miles and miles of tacky tat and bad taste.

• Gill
    Gill

Juni - It's fascinating isn't it. Two beliefs, both apparantly the same and yet completely different.

The Jesus character of the bible, if he existed in the way he was portrayed in the bible, would more likely have been a Celtic Christian. No way would he have followed the Roman Catholic Church. Didn't he save the life of the woman 'caught in adultery?'

Which then draws us to the question, 'Is every modern day 'Christian' really just a Roman Catholic? My guess is that the 'Church' has no resemblance at all to the original values of the Jesus Christ of the bible.

• Gill
    Gill

Pubsinger - There's just a few yards of 'tacky tat and bad taste!'

Then....there's the 'Dracula Tours', the Abbey, the very, very old town, the seaside, Sandsend, just up the road, the fossils, Captain Cook Museum, the Park, the Fish and Chips, the Magpie Cafe, the sunshine, the sea fog, the lovely boats, the tiny streets, the piers, the Seagulls, the History, the culture, the people, and all surrounded by the beautiful, breath taking North Yorkshire Moors National Park, and Yorkshire's traditions of mysticsm, witchcraft, and ancient ways!

Wow! Do I sound like a holiday Ad?

And what about those sea gulls!? Those gulls have got tatoos and attitude! 'Give me your chips! Or Else!'

• hubert
    hubert
    Freedom comes from knowledge, and peace follows.

Wow, Gill, This phrase struck me !! So true !!

Is this something you made up, or is it a popular phrase said by a well-known person?

Hubert

• south african beef
    south african beef

The furthest North I have been for my job was Skegness - what an absolute dump!!

No wonder we southerners have preconceptions about the northerners - they were out in abundance.

I love the pretty, upmarket unspoilt villages in Kent mainly, also there are some lovely ones in Sussex and Essex too.

By the way, I recently visited Canterbury Cathedral - what a beautiful place steeped in so much history, and the centre of the good old Church of England too! I'm not a member by any means but I really love the English traditions of sleepy villages with a shop, a school, a cricket ground, a pub and a church.

• Gill
    Gill

Hubert - It's not exactly 'made up' as 'realised' with the experiences of the last 4/5 years of leaving JW Land. I was looking at Minimus's thread on 'fearing Armageddon'. Once you start to look back in history and learn where beliefs come from, suddenly, no one can pull the wool over your eyes anymore. No matter what any one 'does' to you, they can never have your mind again. Don't you find, that once you start to 'find out' and your mind opens to knowledge, you feel 'free'? It's been my experience. Suddenly, there is nothing but peace.

south african beef - Skegness! I have to agree with you....it's a bit of a dump! That had been my experience of the place. But I was born in Yorkshire, and though I left when I was five, I felt I went home again when I returned on holiday about six years ago. You must take yourself to the North Yorkshire Moors, and the beautiful coastal villages. Your first glimpse of Whitby will be magical! You won't forget it whether it's thick fog and the abbey is seen as a ghostly shadow, or brilliant sunshine with boats bobbing on the sea and the magestic abbey on the cliffs. The village is draped around the harbour like a multicoloured shawl and one and a half thousand years is like yesterday.

• Gill
    Gill

south african beef - should you ever get onto the breath taking moors, there are old guide stones, possibly thousands of years old and ancient foot paths walked for as many years. The villages are breathtaking, and should you ever go to Glaisdale, and go right into the Moors and farming area, don't tell me I didn't warn you how breathtaking it is. Then, you walk out of the farming dales, and up onto the Moors and the landscape changes from brilliant greens and steep hills with cows and sheep clinging to the hill sides, to ferns, and brilliant purple heathers and shaggy sheep wandering every where they choose.

Around these areas, the early celtic christians spread their messages in a gently way. No wonder the Yorkshire people are still a relaxed and easy going, tolerant bunch! There is a certain peace there in those spaced out rural communities.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit