Are Faders Making It Too Easy For The WT?

by ThomasCovenant 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• sspo
    sspo

It totally depends upon the individual. Many "faders" have family in the org. For many people, to disassociate would mean to lose their entire family. In this case, no; it would not be better. There are some circumstances that are very complex; and which contain no simple solution.

Sometimes you can do much good by staying on the inside and planting seeds of doubts here and there.

Very few JW's know anything about the Watchtower involvement in the UN, when i met with the elders about my"apostasy" they were shocked when i mentioned it.

maybe they went home and investigated themselves.

Malawi/Mexico policy, child abuse and we could go on and on, very few on the inside ever stop and give any thoughts to these issues, they worship the Watchtower and can do no wrong but at times we can open somebodies eyes about the "truth"

My point is to each his own and should not be judged.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Hello

Thanks for the replies. The great thing about this site is the liberating feeling of being able to express views to stimulate conversation and thought that may be contradictory to others and still have mutual respect for each other. Something that can never happen with JDub's.

One thing I feel I ought to remind readers though is that I did say the views expressed are not necessarily mine. Also I am not saying that I believe that any individual so called faders are acting selfishly by not disassociating. I am just interested on peoples views on the merits of passive and active anti JW sentiment. In my experience one of the best ways to get people to think alternative views is to take the position of Devil's advocate. The advocate doesn't have to hold the same views himself though.

Thanks

Thomas Covenant

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Everyone has strengths and every method of leaving has its virtues. The good thing about fading is it lets a person still have contact with JWs and so gives power to influence.

I remained a non believer in the org for 10 years and was able to slightly influence a few people. Once I was given the boot it created the stimulation necessary to become as active as possible in fighting against the system.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    I'm not sure if I would want to model any significant life decisions after the plot of any child's story,

No, its a good one. The sun and the wind have a competition to see who can make a man remove his coat. The wind thinks he is sure to win because he is so powerful. He blows a gale up but the man just clings onto his coat even harder. The sun comes out and shines his hardest and the man gets so hot he peels his coat off.

I can see your point. I have thought myself that maybe I should take more of a stand, but I have opted for the line of least conflict.

But then again, I really liked the point that by fading you are maintaining contact with Witlesses, andt thereby defeating the system somewhat. Being D'fed is still being subject to their rules, if only because all the practising Witlesses (including any family you have in) play the shunning game to the letter.

So maybe we are an underground movement - the resistance.

• monkeyshine
    monkeyshine

No you are doing good katie kitten. I only wish I knew that back then. It would save me alot of problems. It seems it would be better to be "frowned upon" than "marked". To this day I still see people at my parents' house that knew me from birth and I can't even get a "hello". It hurts.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Hmmm. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Hmm.

Are we partly to blame for the continuance of these wrongs?

If so, only very slightly. The greater part of the blame lies with those who perpetrate them, and a significant portion of what is left remains with those people who have the capacity to stop it happening in their lives, and get out like we did. Actually I'm a little tired of things being compared to the holocaust. There's no genocide, nobody is being starved and slaved to death, nobody is being put on trains to a frozen hinterland... and don't try any metaphorical comparisons, it's absolutely not the same thing. They're just a bunch of guys in charge of another bunch of guys. If you're going to get all activist, start with something that matters.

• Highlander
    Highlander

Actually I'm a little tired of things being compared to the holocaust.

Agreed, it is a bad comparison.

There was only one nazi holocaust, whereas there are many cults/sects/religions like the j-dubs that have wacked out, controlling doctrines.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Hello

To sass_my_frass and Highlander. It appears you may have misunderstood my mentioning of the Holocaust. The point I was trying to get over was not to compare anything with the suffering endured by the victims of the Nazi persecution but the actions of those victims after the war finished with regard to seeking justice.

sass my frass's comment about the greater part of the blame lies with the perpetrators and those in a position to prevent I personally agree with and well put.Thanks

Also I am not "going to get all activist" whatever that means and surely "something that matters" is for each person to decide.

Thanks

Thomas Covenant

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit