What are you up to this weekend?

by saki2fifty 36 Replies latest jw friends

• saki2fifty
    saki2fifty

Well, i've been reading, and reading, and even more reading and just dont have it in me to respond (midnight here)... so... here's whats going on with me this weekend.

I live in Houston, and scheduled a trip up to Austin for the weekend for a little race that we are participating in. Check it out, its pretty cool. Its called the MuddyBuddy and can be found @ www.muddybuddy.com. We left home around 1 today, dropped the kids off with family, headed out, got here around 6pm, got our room and when heading back to the truck to get our things, found a little baby bird on the ground flapping around spastically and found that it was covered in ants. Now of course me being the man, and me having my wife right next to me, I had to do what I could to save the little guys life. I immediatley removed all of those little demon ants, and the little bird was either dehydrated or was trying to feed. So, I took him up to the room, wrapped him in a little towel, tried giving him a little water because no telling how long he was in the sun, sprinkled a little water on his back (i have no idea what im doing) to cool him off, which seemed he liked, but a few minutes later he stopped breathing. My wife started to panic, so I tried to pump his little heart (no way going to do mouth to mouth), but eventually died. After that I was really hungry :) spent about 2 hours eating @ Pappadeaux's, and now we're back at the hotel. We're going to spent the day tomorrow hanging out around town, then on Sunday, early in the morning @ 7:30, the race begins. Cant wait, should be fun.

What's everyone else up to?

• Arthur
    Arthur

z z z z z z z

z z z z z z z

z z z z z z z

• ringo5
    ringo5

Hey saki, looks like you'll end up with mud who know's where...

I'm hoping to take my fifth glide this weekend. I'm taking up paragliding, It's a blast!

This is the first and only launch I've been off already..

and this is a view of the surroundings...

The tricky part for me is getting the kite over me correctly before running of the ramp, after that it's an amazing feeling!

p.s. that's not me in the photo...

• Arthur
    Arthur

Hey Ringo5,

That looks awesome. When you did that, how long were you in the air?

• ringo5
    ringo5

Hey Arthur, I started with a tandem jump 3 weekends ago and did 3 more solo glides the following weekend.

Now I am desperately trying to plan more days out there. (1 1/2 hours east of Vancouver , B.C.) I've always been afraid of heights somewhat but still wanted to try it. It wasn't as hard as I thought because there is no terrifying edge at the launch pad, if you're not in the air by the end of the pad, you just keep running down the backside of the launch ( about 45% slope).

Once you're in the air, you sit back almost as if in a recliner and control the wing with 2 handles connected to the backside of the glider, while doing some leaning to turn. I was wearing a radio and listening to the instructor who just guided me pretty much straight down to the landing site (the area outlined in red in the first pic). The flight time was around 10 - 15 minutes but the idea is after you get accustomed to it, you can catch thermals or ridge lift and stay up as long as you can or can stand.

Current record is 263 miles in 10.5 hours!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paragliding

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Wow, you guys are doing such exciting things - its like a tampax advert!

Well im on holiday at my dads house in Miami, on my own, but I figure I should get out and have some fun, so Im planning to go clubbing on South Beach.

But heres the thing. Im on my own. Has anyone ever tried to go clubbing on their own? Its REALLY hard, and you feel like such a Billy No Mates. Plus its quite scary because you really dont want anyone to mistake you for a prostitute (I mean how many women do you actually see on their own out at night? - even in safe well populated well lit well policed areas - which is where I stick to)

And even though I am reasonably slim and attractive I can guarantee you NOBODY will come up and talk to me. I know because I went to Coconut Grove last night on my own and sat for 3 hours chillin' with a cranberry juice watching the world go by. Groups of guys will chat to groups of girls, but no-one will chat to a girl on her own. Ive been out enough times in England on my own to realise this holds true all the time.

So why am I doing it? Because I HATE the feeling that I am somehow housebound just because I dont have a guy on a string to take me out. I have lots of guys who would take me out, but theyre all in England. Men go out on their own all the time and no-one bats an eyelid.

• saki2fifty
    saki2fifty

Man, now that looks awesome! So I take it that you hit that little landing spot which looks like its 2 miles away?

Get some more pictures up... those are pretty cool. The closest i've been to being up in the air with no motor, was when wife and I rode a hot air balloon. Im sure not as adrenaline pumping as this. Dang, lucky dog. I guess its a Canada thing.

I wonder if Texas would have something like that. It'd be a little different though. Instead of huge hills to paraglide off of, you'd have to run through flat corn-fields hoping the heat from the ground would be enough of a thermal to initially get you up. Ha... Nope, not here in Texas. Or a least I dont think so.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

OMG,.,,,you guys crack me up. Muddy buddy...for crying out loud that's right up there with my husband jeepin' Love the handgliding pictures.

Grab your club Katie, I'll go clubbin' with ya.

lisa

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Did a little garage sale shopping yesterday and early this morning. Going out to my garage to clean out some stuff, mostly toys. Might have a garage sale next Saturday if the weather holds up. Just puttering around the house.

I need coffee!

Josie

• KW13
    KW13

well not too much, the folks got invited to a dub BBQ, i didn't get an invite lol.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit