Remember when KH's had a piano and real singing?

by WingCommander 85 Replies latest jw friends

• Twitch
    Twitch

Yea, I remember that from the 70's, early 80s. Our cong had a piano and violinist. I was fascinated by the interplay of the two.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yep, I remember that too. In the early 80's when I went to the hall in Belmont, Ca there was an eldette by the name of Love who would play the piano. She used to teach piano too. I also remember the orchestra that used to play the music for the songs at the district conventions at the Cow Palace in Daly City. I thought it was sad all the way round when the society stopped the live music - not that I liked the music anyway.

Josie

• bronzefist
    bronzefist

I came in post piano ban. I remember seeing one at a hall...just sitting there all lonley and neglected. Just like the less important ones in the congregation. I loved it when the wrong song was played. People didn't know what to do....sing the wrong song or "whisper sing" through the correct one. Funny times.

Gary your post RULES!!

• Poztate
    Poztate

Some worldly person donated an Organ to an Assembly Hall in our area. They used it for about a year and then dumped it for the records..CD's etc. I still think the reason they dumped it was because it was too much like the Churches around them...

• Twitch
    Twitch
    Some worldly person donated an Organ to an Assembly Hall in our area

Too bad it wasn't a brain,.....

;-)

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

November 1976 KM Question Box

Question

Box

?

Is it proper that the body of elders arrange for musical accompaniment for congregational singing other than using the Society’s recordings?

This is a matter for decision by the body of elders. Accompaniment for singing does help the congregation to sing well. Some congregations may not have record players to use in playing the Society’s recordings. Where qualified persons with musical talent are available, many congregations prefer to have piano or other instrumental accompaniment. It would not be good to try to use someone who does not really know how to play an instrument well.

When recordings are used, care should be used to replace worn-out or damaged records, thus maintaining the high standard of the meetings that should be found in the congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Notice that it is a matter for the BOE. If they have any backbone they will tell off the CO. 99.9% of elders now will just follow what the CO says. They don't want to be known for causing problems.

At a previous congregation we had piano players and everyone enjoyed it and sang loudly. Canned music just lulls everyone into a sleep stupor.

• breeze
    breeze

Think about it....the societies recomendation was to take all of the kids out of band and music which was for the most part taught after school. That was all extra curricular activities.

So who would play the piano.....??? No one knows how.

All of my kids joined band and it was frowned on upon by all....

BREEZE

• juni
    juni

Heh Gary!

After Bronzefist said your post 'RULED' I had to go back and read it.

Oh my god you are funny. You need to write a book about your experiences! Did people laugh when all of this happened at the Hall or did they maintain a dismal theocratic demeanor?

Juni GOOD FOR YOU BREEZE. YOU THOUGHT OUTSIDE THE JW BOX!! CODE BLUE, HI. I READ YOUR POST AND FELT BAD AT THE LOSS YOU SUFFERED. DAMN RELIGION.

• ?me?
    ?me?

they still use a piano at my old hall. i miss it, the brother that plays it actually spices up the arrangement a little and it sounds better than the cd's

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf
    Has anyone mentioned that at the conventions a conducter with a wand would come out on the stage?

Oh yeah...do I ever. My husband was granted the "privilege" of conducting our little circuit assembly orchestra. Actually it was quite a hoot. I came across that little wand not too long ago and gave it a toss in the garbage. He was always a little embarrassed about doing that. Poor guy. I think he cried with joy when the "orchestra" disbanded. I also think at one time our congregation had both a piano and an organ...back to back on stage (or I could be hallucinating again). We also had "piano wars"! Yeah...two of the sisters who played would argue about who would play when and for what meetings and when the CO came or whatever. Never did come to blows though. Once we even had a visiting brother play who added all these little flairs and twirls or whatever during his playing and it was really, really good. No one sang loud because they just wanted to hear him play. Otherwise the singing in our congregation was on a kindergarten level. Made you long for one of them good old fashioned gospel choirs to sing with.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit