How many people did Satan kill in the Bible?

by Stan Conroy 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Satanus, read my first comment above. As has been discussed on this forum before the earlier OT stories depict Yahweh as both evil and good while later theological developments provided him a moral out giving him an appointee to do the dirty work or fully an archnemesis (ala the Devil) to blame for evil.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Peacefulpete

The person actually carrying out the actions against job cannot be postively identified. I think that the 'evidence' (to carry my analogy of a court case a little further) that you presented weakens the claim that that the identity of the bad guy in the job story is the same as the laterly named satan the devil.

S

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Another tack is that Satan does not exist. Christadelphians teach this. Interestingly, Arian (non trinitarian religions) generally do not believe in Satan based on the same reasoning that the Holy Spirit is not a person. The WTS has such second rate doctrinal understanding that they do not follow consistent methodology.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The book has been edited and expanded however the Adversary in Job is depicted as the Adversary of humans not Yahweh. He works for yahweh in his heavenly court. Yahweh tells him to do his worst, with some limitations. I understand that the subsequent descriptions of the attacks on his family and servants do not specify that this Adversary is doing it but in the story as it reads presently is implying as much. I do agree that identifying this character with the Devil of 2nd century Christain theology is mistaken. I said that very same thing.

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy

So if the adversary in Job cannot positively be identified as Satan, then perhaps Satan didn't kill anyone. Maybe he has a clean record. But Yahweh on the other hand is depicted as a blood thirsty killer. Interesting, I would say. Now in the NT, Yahweh all of a sudden is about love and forgiveness. Too bad for the millions slaughtered by him in Bible part 1 that he didn't have his Jekel and Hyde personality disorder under control a couple thousand years earlier. Or maybe Yahweh is not the Father Jesus spoke of in the NT? That seems a more rational explanation (if the word rational can be used when discussing religion).

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Stan Conroy

Now in the NT, Yahweh all of a sudden is about love and forgiveness. Too bad for the millions slaughtered by him in Bible part 1 that he didn't have his Jekel and Hyde personality disorder under control a couple thousand years earlier.

Yep, but, now since Jesus has been living with his father for 2,000 years...he's ready to kill 6,000,000,000 more people for ol' Dad -- vewwy, vewwy soon...

Bad association spoils...?

Rabbit

• Shining One
    Shining One

Does your question give you the idea that Satan is limited in his powers? If so, you are right. He is limited by God Himself as can be seen in the Book of Job. Martin Luther called Satan, 'God's ape".
    Rex

• IW
    IW
    Martin Luther called Satan, 'God's ape".

If that's true then Luther committed a sin since not even Michael the Archangel would bring a word of "railing judgement" against Satan but rather said "let the Lord rebuke you."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit