Special Issue - September, 2006 Awake! - All 32 Pages Scanned

by daniel-p 40 Replies latest jw friends

• AlanF
    AlanF

Thank you for providing these scans!

The magazine presents nothing but recycled arguments that have been completely squashed by qualified researchers.

Oddly, it poses the question, "How long were the creative days?" and then proceeds to avoid answering it. Why could that be?

AlanF

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

More WT crap! Regarding the whales, don’t some whales have tiny vestigial “legs?” Of course WT would argue that they are not vestigial but are used in some capacity. As regards new arguments, I see none here, same old stuff! And why is it that some Christian groups can accept evolution, but others like the WT cannot? In my opinion, you downgrade the God of the Bible by insisting that the opinions of Bible writers (who never make explicit claims that God gave them special, scientific insight) are in reality, facts!

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I'll say this again. The only decent thing in this magazine (well the article on the golden angle wasn't so bad if you ignore the last 1/4 of it) is that they've finally admitted that microevolution is a fact. Mind you, they predictabley downplay its implications for genetic changes, arguing they're limited to small scale changes and adaptation. Slowly but surely though, they're being forced to concede some ground.

The short profiles and comments from the dubs working in different fields of science don't surprise me at all. I'd wager that none of the two who worked in the life sciences has anything beyond a BSc.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Wowsers. My favorite quote in the article so far is:

In my view it is a failure of nerve to back away from something that is so strongly indicated by the evidence simply because YOU think the conclusion has unwelcome philosophical implications.

LOL. This ought to get a few minds a-thinking.

SNG

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    Wowsers. My favorite quote in the article so far is:
    In my view it is a failure of nerve to back away from something that is so strongly indicated by the evidence simply because YOU think the conclusion has unwelcome philosophical implications.

LOL. This ought to get a few minds a-thinking.

SNG

Truth is only one-way on the j-dub highway.

• undercover
    undercover
    Oddly, it poses the question, "How long were the creative days?" and then proceeds to avoid answering it.

I noticed that also. I had thought maybe because I didn't read it word for word that maybe I just missed it.

They're quick to distance themselves from "creationists" who believe in literal 24 hour creative days but nowhere do they mention the long held WT teaching of the creative days being 7,000 years each.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Here's a pearl of wisdom from our Mother Organization, from page 1 of the mag:

You can let others tell you what you are allowed to think and believe. Or you may wish to investigate some of the evidence yourself and reach your own conclusion.

LOL! Now, which of these approaches is the Watchtower best known for encouraging in its members?

"Here's some New Light from the Slave, but hey, you guys think it over and reach your own conclusion.*"

* Note: If you reach the wrong conclusion, you will be disfellowshipped. FYI...

Dave

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Why do they repeat the creationists say everything was created some 10000 years ago and not 6000 years ago?

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Nothing new here - all old stuff. And for some reason, maybe because now I know that this religion is NOT a Christian one - whenever I read "Christians" in quotes, meaning those who claim to be Christian but are not, which I guess includes me now - it really gets my blood boiling!

Same old rubbish - written for kiddies and not adults.I am waiting the WT putting in connect the dots and color pages any day now. Lilly

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Thanks daniel - you done good, man!

How good to get such 'spiritual food'!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit