The call came around 8 pm last night

by Cabin in the woods 36 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Confession
    Confession

1956: You become one of Jehovah's Witnesses because, among other things, they have taught you that "the end is near." You must ally yourself with God's Organization in order to receive everlasting blessings.

1961: The end has not yet come, but this must just mean that it is now even "nearer" than it was five years ago!

1966: You had thought when they told you "the end is near" that this might mean it was coming "soon." You are now told that the end very possibly will be coming in 1975--nine years away. This was not your understanding of the word "near," but you reasess and are nonetheless excited that the end is "in sight."

1971: 1975 is so near you're telling everyone "the end is near, the end is near!" You surround yourself with others who are declaring the same thing.

1975: The year has arrived! While you never imagined that "near" meant 19 years, you are reminded that "a day is to Jehovah as a thousand years."

1976: WTF? How disappointing... You are told that the Society never really said that Armageddon was coming in 1975. This was your own understanding.

1981: You used to laugh at the idea that your children might reach "school age," but now they are all grown and out of school. With every year that passes, you are told, we are getting closer and closer to the end.

1986: This year is called the "International Year of Peace." The Society reminds you that it is "just when they are saying "Peace, Peace" that sudden destruction is to come. Maybe the end is finally "near."

1991: We are in the "final days."

1996: We are in the "final hours of the final days."

2001: We are in the "final minutes of the final hours of the final days."

2006: The fact that forty years has passed since you were originally told "the end is near" has begun to work on you. Internet searches pull up websites that feature damning info about the Society's record of scandal and false prophecy. You are led down a path at which there is a crossroads. You either realize you've been duped, stop the insanity and move on with your life....OR cognitive dissonance causes you to "Let the Watchtower Society be true." I say you go for option one.

• jwsons
    jwsons

C'mon, Even if I know the Armageddon will come exactly tomorrow, I won't go back to Kingdumb Hell. I'm pretty sure there is no God over there, only money and the Great Harlot wandering around with U.N. (N.G.O.)Why I should go back there? For being killed with them ? Ouside WacoTower and Dark Society I may even have more hope from Jehovah.
    jwsons

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Ah that's hilarious. I hope they play the same games at the conventions here, but they seem to tone it down a lot in OZ; I noticed at one assembly I went to in Minnesota that it was a bit more passionate than they'd get away with here.

If they did it would probably be the only time I'd hear from mum; she'd call to say that armageddon is here right now like she did on 9/11. It would be good to tell her that they were telling the brothers in the USA the same thing at the conventions in July.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    Should have asked them how many hours.

Crikey - will I have time for lunch do you think????

Confession - Loved the summary - i remember 1986 - wasnt it when they "cry peace and security"?

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    this system is down to the last hours.

How many hours are we talking about? I have a dental appointment on Thursday, perhaps I should cancel it.

Usual wts scare tactics, heard 'em all before, and we'll hear 'em all again, bo doubt.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    2006: The fact that forty years has passed since you were originally told "the end is near" has begun to work on you.

Confession - I hated to say anything, but your timeline looks like 50 years to me, not 40. You are older than you think, unless you are using 'new math'.

Jeff

• jgnat
    jgnat

When hubby came home with the news that this system of things will only last hours long (mind you, I was told this over a month ago), I told him, "Good, I won't have to plan supper."

• blondie
    blondie

That's cute, jgnat. People desperately want to be validated for all the years they have told others that the "end is near." Hours?

I would just ask, "well, are you selling your house, car, pulling out your savings, quitting your job and going pioneering?????" If their response is sluggish, I know how much they really believe it. JWs exhibit the Little Red Hen Syndrome. They like to just sit back and let someone else do the work.

Blondie

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

My take on this is...

It's a 'sales pitch' to the masses.

Think about it. The number-crunchers in the ivory towers in Brooklyn are getting the latest _real_ numbers. They aren't good.

The door-knocking isn't working as good as it used to (plus, there aren't that many going out knocking), as the people aren't as responsive (aka gullable) as they used to be. Plus - those who are supposedly door-knocking, are really sitting in an air-conditioned coffee shop, passing the time.

The only 'resource' that they have left? Those who have quit going - and haven't googled 'Jehovah Witness' on the internet. Members of families... who have isolated themselves, but whom families still call or talk to occassionally.

Get these back to the KHs - through 'word of mouth'... tell the masses that 'the end is near' (mentalling a long-haired man holding a sign with this saying on it...)

If they can get their numbers up - again - through the 'panic' approach... then they can 'ride the beast' a bit longer.

Again... it's just a 'sales pitch'.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

They are creating a new "time of sifting". In other words, they want to get rid of their apathetic, non productive sales force. By manipulating the JWs into a preaching frenzy they hope to experience a rapid increase in numbers. Then, when the "prophecy" fails, the apathetic ones will become disgruntled and leave, and they'll be left with the new, zealous, sales force that hasn't yet caught on to their lies, and is unaware of watchtower history.

If nothing else, the watchtower is predictable.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit