The JW dress code.....yuck

by JH 27 Replies latest jw friends

• penny2
    penny2
    I too always liked my suits

RichieRich, I'm sure you looked great in your suit. You can still wear one now - if you want too!! The funny thing is, now it might not bother you to go shopping in a suit. People would think you've been to a business conference. Not on a Sunday morning though!

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

arthur that is to funny

I think they should dress like Jesus.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

The Watchtower publications show what JWs are supposed to dress like even when they are not at meetings or in service. It's a wonder that the WTS hasn't warned the R&F not to look at their own nakedness in the mirror during bathtime. And even men being baptized need to wear a t-shirt in order to be 'modest'. I, for one, will not wear a tie or socks anymore to a religious service. Yes, I prefer sandals and comfortable clothes, and if a god feels that I'm just not modest enough, then he can come down and fashion clothes out of animal skins for me!
    Dave

• carla
    carla

I don't care if I ever see my jw in a suit and tie the rest of my life! If (big if) he ever left and we renewed our vows I would insist no suits or ties they remind me that much of jw's. If I ever remarry, same thing, no suits or ties.

• forsharry
    forsharry

I think that's why i worship naked now. :)

No, I'm serious. Pray in the shower...you can't get much closer to god than that.

Or in a bar...I have some of the most meaningful religious conversations and find significant religous points over a drink or two or five.

Forsharry

of the "Nylons are for Bank Robbers Class"

• james_woods
    james_woods

And one incredible breakdown in the JW "logic" of such dress codes used to always be: wear suits so that they would not bring "discredit" to Jehovah's name ( I guess by wearing normal clothes ). Supposedly, this was to kind of to "amplify our status with the world" - when in almost everything a JW does is sure to have the exact opposite effect:

Worldly people are mostly just stunned and amazed by the antics of the JWs, including the "uniform".

I think this is one more unconscionable effort by the WTS to place their people in a position of public humiliation - just like "door to door", flag salute for kids, and a myriad of other ways to make them different.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I never minded wearing a suit, and I still wear one when I go out to certain functions. But I disagree with the lack of choice JWs have in meeting attire. It should be up to the individual.

W

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Once I was talked to because I was wearing a knitted sweater instead of a suit coat. Out in service I once had a jean jacket because my rain coat was dirty and the elder spoke to me about that one too.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Like James_Woods said, I agree most people are amazed at the silly outfits the Dubs go to the doors in. They look stupid getting all dressed up in formal looking suits when it's blistering hot, then claiming casually,"My companion and I just happened to be in your neighborhood today, chatting with the neighbors about world conditions..."

Then, in the winter, I'm sure people shake their heads about the foolish "Sister uniform" where the sisters go around shivering in dresses with frozen legs, just "in the neighborhood today" that's knee deep in snow and slush. I'm sure the apparent lack of common sense turns people off, as well as the suits, which scare some in poor neighborhoods into hiding, thinking it's immigration or welfare at the door in those suits.

If they weren't a cult, they'd be allowed to use their common sense and reasoning faculties, to dress appropriately and to not be required to appear in uniform, despite what the weather conditions or situation called for.

• undercover
    undercover

I remember an elder telling me, when I questioned the whole grooming thing from beards to suits in service, that a lot of corporations have dress codes because the employees represent the company and they want to make sure that they don't give the company a bad rep.

So, there you have it, we were employees of the Watchtower Bible Tract Society and we had a dress code to be upheld.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit