The JW dress code.....yuck

by JH 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

I always resented being told how to dress. It seemed that, much of the time, the ones setting and maintaining the dress standards in our cong were the elder's wives- a decidedly frumpy bunch of ladies. I got counseled for all sorts of little infractions over the years, just silly stuff that no one in their right mind would give a rat's ass about. It was a pleasant surprise to discover that, in the real world, idiosyncrasies in dress are tolerated, even celebrated. I did, however, like the whole process of getting dressed for the meetings, being a bit more formal than in daily life. It's a lot more fun dressing up now, though, as it's not mandatory.

• Hamboozled
    Hamboozled
    I think that's why i worship naked now. :)

Now that is funny!

• mama1119
    mama1119

Ohhh, one time when I was pioneering (which i detested but did anyway) I was pulled aside by the visiting CO. I was young, like 18, working FT and pionering and honest to God I thought the jerk was going to say how wonderful it was or encouragiong or whatever that I was pioneering. No, he wanted to tell me it was offensive that my dress was to my knees. I am 6 feet tall and even long dresses tend to be shorter on me. It was also the missle of winter so I had thick black tights on as well so NOTHING was showing. Seriously he said "you are not out to show everyone how pretty you are, you are out to spead the good news" which I later translated to " you are not out to spead your legs sister, you are out to spread the good news". I did not pioneer again just for punishment. HAHAHA

• divejunkie
    divejunkie

My husband was "counseled" about wearing a sweater OVER his shirt and tie to a meeting once. Let me tell you this: he was wearing gray slacks, dress shoes, a long sleeve shirt and tie and a knitted sweater - very nice one - over it.

The conversation went like this: "Where is your jacket?" --"Didn't bring one" --"You know your supposed to be dressed in a manner that brings praise to God" --"What exactly is innapropiate about the way I'm dressed?" Of course, no answer.

I've always got a beef with the "no beard" policy and the "skirt or dress only" for the ladies

• MsUrsy
    MsUrsy

I hate dresses and skirts and haven't worn one in about 10 months and i don't think I will ever wear one again...I even told my kids..."If you ever get married...I may just wear some fancy slacks!" I hate dresses...hate them!!

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    I think this is one more unconscionable effort by the WTS to place their people in a position of public humiliation - just like "door to door", flag salute for kids, and a myriad of other ways to make them different.

I think it's more to do with Dub history and the fact that they are stagnating, unable to adapt to a civilisation that's progressed and changed. The Dubs were doing door-to-door sales when door-to-door sales worked. It doesn't work anymore, but they still do it, because they've always done it and so much of their identity is tied up in it. Likewise, they began their growth under Rutherford and Knorr at a time when one had to wear a suit and tie to be considered respectable, especially in a public worship context. But now that hardly anyone does so, the Dubs do it, because they have always done it. It was right once, so it must always be right. A funny attitude from a bunch that has so much "new light", don't you think?

• barry
    barry

I thought the JW women were sexy just because they dressed different to everyone else. There is nothing more ineresting too a man than hiding some bits. If a women has a mini skirt and bad legs sometimes she can hid it in JW mode by not wearing short skirt and be attractive to a man.

In the 70s people allways used to wear good cloths to church but times have changed. Men looks on the outward appearance but God looks on the heart.

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

We stopped by a local bakery for breakfast last Saturday before going on a hike and we parked right next to a car that had WT's and literature strewn about the car. I showed FreedomLover, and we rolled our eyes. We walked into the bakery and there they were in their boring grey suits that "kinda-fit-but-not-really" from the Goodwill. Two elder types and a kiss-ass looking ministerial servant. They looked like complete tools and I think people mostly felt sorry for them.

My dad talked about when a couple of JWs came to his house recently out in service. He noticed the guy in a crappy suit with stains all over the lapels on the jacket. He estimates the guy probably hadn't had his suit cleaned in two or three years.

I remember getting sh*t from my PO as a teenager because I was running the microphones without a matching jacket and pants.

It's like everything else the JWs do. It's all about the wrapper - even if they don't wash them at times.

-ithinkisee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit