Garage Sales

by mrsjones5 13 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Went to a few yesterday. It was hot as hell but I did find a few things. About 4 pairs of jeans for my daughter (they fit thank god), a new Gap sweater for my daughter (it still had the tag on it), an ice cream maker for 5 bucks, and a few baby toys for the baby that I'm now babysitting.

It was a good haul. I plan on going out next week, I need some jeans for my 5 yo who's starting school this year.

Anyone else like going to garage sales?

Josie

• gumby
    gumby

Looky here what happened to this cute little pioneer sister who bought a dress at a demunized yardsale Mrs Jones! If I were you, I'd burn those clothes you bought....even the gap brand ones

• blondie
    blondie

I don't usually unless I'm looking for an inexpensive piece of furniture...I do junk pick but no dumpster diving.

Many JWs here love to go to garage sales, usually getting the Friday paper and making a list.

Went to garage sales with 2 COs and their wives....they loved shopping there and recommended us poor pioneers recognize the bargains we could find.

Blondie

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

A lot of jws around here don't like buying much second - hand stuff, in case it's demonized, the "logic" behind this point of view being that you never know who originally owned it. I remember a pioneer who bought a meeting case from a car boot sale and some of the congregation members were horrified, and wouldn't sit all that close to him in the meetings for a while, just in case.

This "theory" didn't apply, however, where cars or houses were concerned.

• arwen
    arwen

I am a garage sale junkie. I am really good at finding bargains and I love going. We make it a fun outing and laugh and carry on and sometimes go for breakfast after. My latest big find was a 10K gold ring with twenty small diamonds for 25 cents. I got a Prada purse in Florida at a yard sale for 14 bucks. I love a deal!!! The thrill of the hunt!! Problem is now I can't shop in a normal store. it is too expensive!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I love it. I forget to mention I also got my 2 yo a toy vacuum in hopes that he will leave mine alone. It just needs batteries. After seeing the toys now the kids want to come with me.

Josie

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Garage Sales were great when my boys were young . We bought just about all their clothes and toys that way . The town we live in has very nice neighborhoods that were good sources for barely used stuff . My mom was horrified , she was of the old mindset it might be demonized oooohhhhhhh. We didn't have alot of money so I made the best of the summer yard sale season , and of course was told I should be out in service instead . The other sisters actually got jealous because I would find nice suits for everyone in the family and spend so little on them . Some of their husbands would ask why they weren't so thrifty . Now that I work and the kids are grown I don't go that much. My car on the other hand still tends to steer towards a garage sale sign .

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I remember being in cars with avid garagesalers in service before that would look longingly as all the good bargains were snapped up when they were passing by.

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

"I forget to mention I also got my 2 yo a toy vacuum in hopes that he will leave mine alone."
    He'll leave it alone when he's old enough to do chores. :-D

• Been there
    Been there

I love yard sales. I do it almost every week (my way of continuing the door to door service). Most of my kids clothes and toys were bought at them when they were young. I have gotten some great deals.

A couple weeks ago I bought an old school reader dated 1869 on inside cover, paid 50 cents for it. When I got it home it had the name Clarence Slattery Jan 20, 1880 Harrisonville, OH hand written twice on the page. That got me curious about him so it took two days but I tracked down the great great grandson of Clarence. I sent the book to him. His mother had just died last month and he was looking into the family history. How neat it was to be able to return a family treasure. Clarence was 14 when he wrote in the book.

Yard Sales are like Christmas...you just never know what you will find.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit