Panic Disorder/Agoraphobia?

by caligirl 23 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Gill
    Gill

Ade - First thing you have to do is remind yourself exactly what is happening. 'I'm having a panic attack.' Simple as that. Next thing is to remind yourself that NO ONE has EVER died of a panic attack and that you've had them before and you'll have them again but that is ALL that they are. NEXT is to allow the panic feeling to be there. You do not have to do anything about it. Just let the feeling be there. It will not hurt you. Accept that it is there and accept that it will be there again. Being afraid of it will only make it worse. Sit or stand quietly and watch as your anxiety or fear rises, gets worse, and plateaus out. Slowly it will begin to fall and within a few minutes it will be gone completely. See! You made it. You didn't have to do a thing except allow it to happen. NOW you're ready for the next one! Again you'll be aware that it's beginning. Slow down or stop what ever you are doing. Allow it to be there. You don't have to fight it. Let it rise and watch it rise slowly. See how well you're coping with it. You're letting it get worse and now it's at its worse. Allow this horrible feeling to be there. You don't have to do anything! Just let it be! Slowly it will plateau. Then watch as it slowly goes down again.. It's fine. Don't fight it. Let it rise again if it wants to.....BUT slowly it WILL go. Now find a good counsellor. Find the best book you can on learning to manage your attacks. Remember that one day soon they WILL stop happening. It feels terrible at the moment but they WILL stop. Do NOT fight an attack. Allow it to happen and slow down when they do. Watch them rise and fall. See how you can cope, even with this horrible feeling, to slowly do what you are doing. DO NOT FEAR THE FEAR BUT ALLOW IT TO BE THERE. This is the ONLY method that works! But it does WORK. Once you stop fearing panic attacks I can guarantee to you that they WILL STOP with time and PRACTICE. I'm not talking over night cure here but hard work and practice and perseverence . Good luck ADE. Follow these rules and you WILL be free of panic in time. oh and by the way, there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking prescribed medication for a limited time if your panic is taking over your life. But if you want to STOP panic completely, you need to take the time to practice the method I have just described. Good Luck. Remember there is nothing to fear but fear itself. Allow it to be there and eventually it will just disappear.

• Ade
    Ade

Hi Gill,
    Thanks for the advice , i'm having a rotten time lol, in the course of 6 months ive gone from a bodybuilder/weightrainer ( natural ) to a 36 inch waist bubble monkey , now i have high cholesterol lol,i also have asthma, and my blood pressure was bordering on hypertension this evening ( but certain members of my family are really causing me some aggravation ).haha sorry sitting here typing it just sounds so funny cos im only 33.

God bless you all
    Ade

• Gill
    Gill

Hi Ade! Sorry for your problems. Family, by their nature, are a total pain in the ass from my experience. Just do your best to smile sweetly and IGNORE them! As for the panic.....this can be beaten. I'm not surprised your blood pressure soars. The tingling in your hands is caused by incorrect breathing when you're panicing. SLOW EVERYTHING down when you start to panic. As I said before ..... Just let the panic happen. Let the worst that you fear happen. YOU WILL NOT DIE OR GO INSANE. THE FEELING ALWAYS PASSES. Just let it happen. Sounds as if you're under a lot of stress at the moment. Don't be afraid to get some help for this problem. It can be cured but ALLOWING EMBRACING AND ACCEPTING the feeling, takes away the FEAR and gradually it just stops happening. Best wishes and do try to just let that nasty feeling happen. It is ONLY a feeling! Gill

• Gill
    Gill

And STOP taking your blood pressure!!! This WILL NOT hurt you as distressing as it is, it is only a feeling.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit