Panic Disorder/Agoraphobia?

by caligirl 23 Replies latest watchtower medical

• caligirl
    caligirl

Anyone out there have any personal experience with this? Just looking for input and suggestions.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I have Agoraphobia,

ever been say in a large stadium (DC) and feel like you are sweating while everyone else is cold, someone is talking to you and you can't focus on what they are saying, walking through a crowd of people and someone accidentally bumbs into you and you feel like you could kick their ass for no reason. Even your eyes start playing tricks on you I had almost something like tunnel vision, once at a foot ball game, it feels like you can't get enough air.

I thought that there was just somethign wrong with me, I told my doctor and he prescribed some pills but it only made it worse, he told me that I should see a shrink, that was such a good idea, she gave me relaxation exercises to do and this is something that I still deal with but much easier now.

• caligirl
    caligirl

WA, thanks for the response. And yes, I relate to what you describe 100%. I have had panic disorder for some time, and I have Xanax to be used, which is like an instant cure and fantastic, but my doctor doesn't want me to use it very often, and doesn't want me to drive while taking it either, which presents a problem.

The problem is that I am starting to notice that 90% of my panic attacks occur when I leave home (as in get in the car to go places) and I find myself staying home more and more. And I don't want to. I love to travel and go places, but I am so supremely uncomfortable when I leave my house that I find myself leaving only when I can't get out of it.

It is not that I don't go out, I force myself to do what HAS to be done (shopping, errands, etc) but all I can think about is getting home as soon as possible. For instance, yesterday, I went out twice. Both times, I felt fine before leaving home. As soon as I get in the car and back out of the garage, I start to sweat, chest pain, breathless, irritable the whole bit and this lasts the whole time I am out. . As soon as I come home, it all but goes away. Thinking back, that has happened every time I have left home in recent memory, wheras when I am at home, I am mostly fine.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Cali,

It sounds like you have it a bit more extreme than I do, I only have it in large crowds, which really affected me for the longest time, staying away from places like Disneyland, baseball games, etc. well I knew that it started to get worse when it affected me in Airports, mall and later even going to the store. Yes doctors prescribe medicine, but for some reason on my it didn't work and made me feel worse, and along with some other unexpected side affects he suggested that I go to a therapist, Now I am not going to try and give you any medical advise, but they way I came to realize my problem is this these panic attacks are sometimes triggered by a slight variation in our enviroment, in crowds she taught me some relaxation techniques and learning to focus my mind one something, just that one thing say its a picture, or a car or anything that I choose at that moment and it kind of all brings everything back down, My therapist was against drugging the problem away, she said we can have power over our mind, (kind of L. Ron Hubbard, but it works) Now I am not saying that I don't ever have small issue with it anymore but I know that I can deal with it.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Cali,

The exact same thing used to happen to me. I know where you can find something that MAY help you. Expect a p.m. very soon.

Warlock

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Well Hey Warlock send it to me too! I always like to have information on this

• caligirl
    caligirl

The thing with crowds has bothered me since my late teens - got much better when I stopped going to meetings and conventions because I was rarely faced with having to be in a crowded situation. Then slowly, airports have started to bother me, and more recently it is the idea of being out and around at all. So I guess you could say that it has gotten progressively worse.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Caligirl, I have panic disorder/agoraphobia. It's exacerbated by stress, of course! I had my worse attack after my husband's surgery for removal of his leg and half his pelvis. It seemed that I was always having these attacks, and I didn't know what they were. I was almost a recluse. I seen some stupid commercial on TV about depression and a study that they were doing, so I went to see if I qualified. The doctor said that I didn't have depression, but he knew what I had. So, he sent me off to a shrink, and the rest is history. I have to take meds to control my symptoms.

Also, I am a diabetic, so I have to check my blood sugar sometimes to make sure that it's not a low blood sugar. Girl, it feels just like a panic attack, so does this da*n menopause. I kept thinking that my meds weren't working. Off I went to the endocrinologist to find out what the heck was happening and lo' and behold, it wasn't panic attacks it was menopause! Go figure!

There are lots of disorders that resemble having a panic attack, better go get a check-up!

• damselfly
    damselfly

I used to get panic attacks (cold sweats, the spins, chest pain, couldn't breathe etc) Was a lot worse in crowds and when I was stressed.
    I never went on drugs for it, what worked for me was learning breathing techniques to calm myself down. I also used Bach's Rescue Remedy spray. It's flower extracts that supposedly work to calm you down. I don't know if it really does anything or not, but the act of doing *something* to relieve the panic I was feeling helped a lot.

Dams

• caligirl
    caligirl

Ms.McDucket- Thanks for the input- I have had the concrete diagnosis of panic disorder for several years now - other causes have already been ruled out. Irrational fear is definitely the culprit in my case!

dames, I agree - the act of doing something does help. I have started calling my Mom or sister on the phone when I have to be out of the house which helps immensely. I also feel that recognizing when they happen is the first step to controlling them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit