WTS Running Out of Money? Letter to all congregations...

by drew sagan 58 Replies latest jw friends

• toreador
    toreador

I would like to read the rest of the article. they must have been asking for some donations of some kind. Does anyone have it?

Tor

the second issue of the Watch Tower, August 1879. The article,"DO YOU WANT 'ZION'S WATCH TOWER,'" p. 20, paragraph 3, (Reprints) states: "Do not suppose these remarks to be an appeal for money. No. 'Zion's Watch Tower' has, we believe, JEHOVAH for its backer, and while this is the case it will never beg nor petition men for support. When He who says: 'All the gold and silver of the mountains are mine,' fails to provide necessary funds, we will understand it to be time to suspend the publication.
  • sammielee24
    sammielee24

Do you think then Gary that tithing could be assessed at a percentage rate per family and then that dollar value requested in the form of a donation. I'm not sure of how other religions do it, but I would think that if every family were assessed for example a 10% donation rate based on income and called voluntary donations, it would allow the GB to work with specifics instead of unknowns. Of course that would not eliminate 'special' event assessments but just regular monthly donations. That might mean the work of getting into peoples financial affairs but anything is possible when the dollar is involved. They could also come up with a set amount per family not based on income per month, with the balance of those who cannot pay being picked up by those in the congregation that can pay. From a financial perspective its always more effective to work with a consistent and set dollar than it is to rely on donations whose total sum may vary and since many JW's are constantly being told the watchtower has no money, they would buy it hook, line and sinker. swife.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    Many JWs with money are not very good about donating it. My husband said out of 30 families, about 5 donated and 2 of those did not have pot to urinate in.

I too can vouch for this. When I did accounts it was allways the same people that would put in $100-200 per month or every other month. Everything else was nickel and dime, or a little cash. But all of the main funds came from the same people and many of them didn't have much.
    Most really don't contribute anything and I was amazed to see it.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Kingdom Hall Tithing Form

• headmath
    headmath

I thought Jehoover was supposed to take care of the Society

• freetosee
    freetosee
    If they're so dependent on donations from long-time members, you'd think they'd encourage members to get higher-paying jobs and make life as a JW enjoyable so that people will want to donate to the organization. Much tougher to squeeze a few bucks from those living from paycheck to paycheck....

How Some Make Donations to the Kingdom-Preaching Work

. CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE WORLDWIDE WORK: Many set aside or budget an amount that they place in the contribution boxes labeled: "Contributions for the Society's Worldwide Work-Matthew 24:14." Each month congregations forward these amounts either to the world headquarters in Brooklyn, New York, or to the nearest branch office.

. GIFTS: Voluntary donations of money may be sent directly to the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, 25 Columbia Heights, Brooklyn, New York 11201-2483, or to the Society's office that serves your country. Jewelry or other valuables may also be donated. A brief letter stating that such is an outright gift should accompany these contributions.

. CONDITIONAL-DONATION ARRANGEMENT: Money may be given to the Watch Tower Society to be held in trust until the donor's death, with the provision that in the case of personal need, it will be returned to the donor.

. INSURANCE: The Watch Tower Society may be named as the beneficiary of a life insurance policy or in a retirement/pension plan. The Society should be informed of any such arrangement.

. BANK ACCOUNTS: Bank accounts, certificates of deposit, or individual retirement accounts may be placed in trust for or made payable on death to the Watch Tower Society, in accord with local bank requirements. The Society should be informed of any such arrangements.

. STOCKS AND BONDS: Stocks and bonds may be donated to the Watch Tower Society either as an outright gift or under an arrangement whereby the income continues to be paid to the donor.

. REAL ESTATE: Salable real estate may be donated to the Watch Tower Society either by making an outright gift or by reserving a life estate to the donor, who can continue to live therein during his or her lifetime. One should contact the Society before deeding any real estate to the Society.

. WILLS AND TRUSTS: Property or money may be bequeathed to the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania by means of a legally executed will, or the Society may be named as a beneficiary of a trust agreement. A trust benefiting a religious organization may provide certain tax advantages. A copy of the will or trust agreement should be sent to the Society.

. PLANNED GIVING: The Society has assembled information on "Planned Giving." Those who are planning to make a special gift to the Society now or to leave a bequest at death may find this information helpful. That is especially true if they wish to accomplish some family goal or estate-planning objective while using tax benefits to minimize the cost of the gift or bequest. This information can be obtained by writing to the Society at the address shown below.
    (The Watchtower 1994 12/1 page 19)

• Arthur
    Arthur
    I know there has been talk about a lawsuit and the WTS's liability when it comes to retired worked and overseers. What was the lawsuit and how is it effecting things. Could you guys put me in the right direction? Thanks

I have read about two lawsuits. One of them was filed in the state of New York by a sister who was injured while at Bethel. I don't know of all the details, but it has something to do with the Society not contributing to Workers Comp because all of the workers are volunteers.

The second one that I read about is in Germany. It involves former C.O.s and D.O.s suing for retirement benefits being that they never had anything contributed toward any kind of pension. As far as I understand, these cases are still being litigated. If the Society loses either one of these cases, it could result in serious financial burdens.

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

The Watchtower beg-a-thon of recent years is a big slide downwards of what it used to be in living memory. When I last set foot inside a KH some thirty three years ago, there was never any explicit begging, save for a one time local plea to assist with a few dollars to help pay for some desperately needed wood panelling.

Furthermore, the people who recruited me (I was a young teenager) made a really big point about the abscence of money solicitation. "That's what makes us different from Christendom" they said. "As long as Jehovah is with us, we'll never be seen begging for money."

• steve2
    steve2

There's nothing wrong in asking the flock for money. But I can't excape the impression that, because of their criticism of Christendom's more direct ways of getting money (e.g., tithing and passing the plate), the Watchtower has limited the means by which it can apply pressure to fleece the flock.

• Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

Steve you hit the nail on the head

There's nothing wrong in asking the flock for money. But I can't excape the impression that, because of their criticism of Christendom's more direct ways of getting money (e.g., tithing and passing the plate), the Watchtower has limited the means by which it can apply pressure to fleece the flock.

Isn't funny that a religion supposedly "directed/guided" whatever by Jehovah and the "only right one" in the world has so much of the same thing going on within their religion as they put down in others...The molestations for one and now they want to outright ask for tithing but like Steve said they can't because they've put all other religions down so much for the same exact thing.

Its really just sickening..I want to ask someone still in about the letter being read soooo bad but all my local ones are at the damn assembly...didn't they just have one last month?? I think they trying to get money that way too..im sure this assembly is gonna be in a deficit too...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit