WTS Running Out of Money? Letter to all congregations...

by drew sagan 58 Replies latest jw friends

• garybuss
    garybuss

Is that $8 a year? Or a one time donation of $8? Or is it $8 a month?
    I'd much rather have a plate passed than solicitations for donations read to me while my ass goes numb.

• blondie
    blondie

JWs are not good about donating money. Without the built in method of paying the WTS up front for publications.....things have gone down hill. Few JWs ask people for "donations to the worldwide work." I know some that donate to the local congregation's box but not the "worldwide work." And if people are designated money to go directly to relief and not the general WTS fund, that puts a crimp into their cash flow.

The WTS also used to depend on money earned on investments; maybe their investment plan has gone south as well.

Blondie

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Can anybody fill me in on the liability issues? I knew there was a lawsuit that was possibly making an effect. Thanks.
    -drew

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

A letter to all of you:

I have my own special donation fund, please toss what ever money you have in your pocket at the computer screen.

Thank you

• blondie
    blondie

I think the French case has been appealed to the EU court. I do believe that the WTS has had to escrow all if not most of the money that was assessed against them. But I have not checked my facts online.

Blondie

• Warlock
    Warlock

The elder that studied with me said you could designate where you wanted your donation to be applied, granted you mailed it to the society with a note saying where you wanted that money to go.

I did that twice and both times I received a letter thanking me for the donation, and they would apply it to where ever THEY saw the need, namely the preaching work, even though I wanted it to go for relief efforts in areas affected by natural disasters.

I never sent a donation again.

Warlock

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Russell say that if there was ever a time when the Society had to ask for money, then it would show that Jah's hand was no longer on the Society? If that is a correct recollection, could someone post the quote.

Thanks in advance.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Well, for every 10 JWs who are not big on donating money, there is an over-zealous one like my father, who will go and empty his pockets happily everytime an announcement like that is made. It just sickens me, a father of four, and throwing money out of the windows like that. I'd rather he gave it to some charity, this at least would be useful.

I know that if an annoucement to give 8$ has been made, he probably went and gave 20 or 40 bucks after the meeting, feeling all good about having done the right thing and helping out God's people.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

If they're so dependent on donations from long-time members, you'd think they'd encourage members to get higher-paying jobs and make life as a JW enjoyable so that people will want to donate to the organization. Much tougher to squeeze a few bucks from those living from paycheck to paycheck....

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Oh really? Last night the letter stipulated $8.50 per publisher.

Well, someone's going to cover my share, because I'm not giving them a dime. Not much of a change from about $5 a month though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit