I NEED ADVICE ON WHAT TO RECOMMEND

by ElderBarry 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

If getting people out of the JWs was as simple as winning the argument, would they still have 6000000 members?

Why is your colleague getting involved? What is her background? What is she getting out of this?

The JWs are fulfilling a need. Find out what she needs, and give her an alternative.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

COC my first book

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

What about "Out of the Cocoon"?

There's a free newletter that she or you can download that is written by xjw's giving their experiences.

http://www.outofthecocoon.net/#news

good luck.

lisa

• ElderBarry
    ElderBarry

Hi Scout, In read that book! Iwas excellent! I read it when I was first deprogramming myself, before I started to see a therapist. I think though she needs someting more JW specific.

Dobbie! Okay, I think COC it is! You're the third or fourth person to recommend it. I read it too, but for some reason I don't remember it well.

Hi Stealth. Your icon is cute and funny. Well, you know, I've seen that book for sale, I think. I appreciate the offer, but I think the author would prolly not like it to be shared that way. He might not care, but I don't know that. Do unto others and all that. Thank you for the offer!

Slimboyfat. Yeah Walt Martin was exposed as a fraud when he finally died! He had no legitimate degrees and even cited his high school as a source of one of his degrees! I didn't like his stuff. Obnoxious. Very strident and triumphal. His disciples, the Passantinos, are much the same, although Gretchen is a widow now, which is very sad. So far the weight of consensus is with COC. I think Wenda might well go for it, especially since it's from a former GB beebee.

FE203girl, yeah but I can't think of any other way besides an actual confrontationw ith whomever she is studying with. What she is getting out of this is a false sense of comfort and hope in these crazy times with a nut in the white house bringing us closer and closer to nuclear war! All this end of the world junk is a "prophecy" that is coming true because people BELIEVE it and so unconsciously they act in ways that will bring it about. Spooky and crazy.

Moonmanchu. Another recommend for COC! Okay, COC it is! Thanks! By firt book do you mean you're the author? Raymond Franz? I sos, how very lovely and exceptional to "meet" you! Thanks for your first book. It seems to be the consensus.

Hi Lisa Vegas! I checked out the link and this looks like a winner too. I will probably end up buying this one for myself and if COC doesn't work on Wenda maybe Cocoon will. You know, the only name I meet mnore than Lisa is Kathy.

Thanks everyone! Lisa.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Before you do any more convincing, here are my best tips after five years of practical research. A new study might not "get" all the implications in Crisis of Conscience.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/20/117562/1.ashx

• Ade
    Ade

Hi bear with me whilst i cover a point first. to the writer of this comment If getting people out of the JWs was as simple as winning the argument, would they still have 6000000 members? Why is your colleague getting involved? What is her background? What is she getting out of this? The JWs are fulfilling a need. Find out what she needs, and give her an alternative. thats so true, i recently confronted two elders and an overseer with the millerite "Daniel and John" prophecy chart, all they did after finding out their Daniel book was a complete lie was shrug their shoulders and say "that wont stop me going , i have nothing else" even after asking them whether it was right to follow GOD or men i got the same comment. She obviously is/has been searching for GOD so deliver what you can to her the best you can. maybe visual aids like showing her the "millerite" chart and then the Daniel book showing her the two and proving its a fallacy that they were given divine interpretation of the book will give her a rude awakening, horses for courses as they say. i have the chart if you want it emailed drop me a mail. then ask her why GODS true people would have to borrow other people's prophecies especially when they never came to pass either.I'm sure many others here collectively could supply some superb material to show her. all the best Ade

• Stealth
    Stealth

COC

It was witten by a former member of the Governing Body of Jehovahs Witnesses. If you really want to know how things are run, best to get it from the top.

It is also a well written book without some of the emotional bias and slant that you may get from other Xjw books.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

The Demon Haunted World, by Carl Sagan.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Yup! Good comments. It'd be like you saying I'm gonne give you one chance to fix my house.
    What's wrong with the house? What tools do I bring? It could be the roof, it could be the plumbing, it could be the basement.
    What's your friend getting out of being with the Witnesses? Why are they studying?
    Answer that and I'll answer the book question.
    No person I ever knew went looking for "truth" and ended up at a Kingdom Hall. Anybody with one brain cell and any bull shit detectors at all will never get past the second "study" with a Witness.
    Genitals get more people in the Society than all the books, and genitals get more people out than books too. Witnessism is an awesome treatment for loneliness. Witnessism is attractive to shy people and people with a social anxiety disorder. It's also a target rich environment for a person seeking a mate who dresses in 1950's style and is a non smoker.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi ElderBarry,

My advice would be to get her to log into this site and read some of the stories of what the wts has done to people, or read freeminds. Maybe you could print some of the experiences out for her. That may well be more effective than giving her a book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit