I NEED ADVICE ON WHAT TO RECOMMEND

by ElderBarry 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ElderBarry
    ElderBarry

Hi. One of the girls I work with, Wenda, is studying with the Dubs! I talked to her at about 1,000 words per second and finally got her to agree to read ONE book by a former Dub. Plus, she agreed not to tell whoever it is shes studying with about this decision. Relief. Okay, so I have one shot at this to get it right. What book should I recommend? I hope there's a consensus view. I know about a few, like 30 Years A Watchtower Slave, but thats just too old. So, let me know. If there is a consensus opinion thats the one I'll get for her. Thanks a bunch! -Lisa

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

have you told her to check out this website?

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

captives of a concept

http://www.geocities.com/captives_of_a_concept/CaptivesOfaConcept.html

elder berry is a chick?? more like eldress berry

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

"Crisis of Conscience" you won't need another book after that one.

• Spectre
    Spectre

I'm sure CoC will be the concensus view.

• ElderBarry
    ElderBarry

Hi Andre! Yeah I told her about this site but she blew it off. She almost wasn't going to read anything.she is so close to buying into the whole thing. Hi Captives. Thanks for the recommend. Yes I chose Elder Barry as my sn here because thats the name of the elder that brought me into the LDS Church. No, I'm not about to proselytize Wenda. Hi Black Pearl and Spectre! Thanks. I think I migth have read that one a long time ago. The author was a member of the GB, right? Yeah I must have read it.

• scout575
    scout575

ElderBarry: My suggestion would be to also recommend to your friend a book entitled: Leaving the fold - candid conversations with inactive Mormons, written by James W. Ure.

• dobbie
    dobbie

Hi i'd agree with crisis of conscience, i am two thirds of the way through it and it has opened my eyes. No one could read this book and not be affected by it, it's also written really well, no slagging anyone off or nasty remarks/words, which would have put me off.When you read about 1914 and the way some of the GB themselves didn't really believe it it really shocks you to know they are meant to be feeding you the proper food but that in reality its more like junk food - and i eat enough of that already!

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Falling in Truth, by Steve McRoberts, an ex Brooklyn bethelite. I have it on file and would be happy to sent it to you. It used to be a free e-book, but now it's for sale. I want in no way to encroach upon the author's right to compensation, however, I downloaded it when it was free, and before it went on sale. PM me and I will be happy to share.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Depends what sort of person we are talking about.

A studious, analytical person might appreciate the academic approach of James Penton's Apocalypse Delayed.

Of the Raymond Franz books, I would say In Search of Christian Freedom is better because it details problems in Watchtower beliefs and practices without complicating it with Franz's personal story like in the first book.

The best critiques of Witness theology from an Evangelical viewpoint are those by Robert M. Bowman Jnr., such as Jehovah's Witnesses: Why they Read the Bible the Way they Do.

I have just finished Don Cameron's book Captives of a Concept, but I am not sure it would have convinced me the Witnesses were wrong had I read it earlier.

If they are likely to respond to personal experiences and life stories among the best of these is Bryan McGlothin's.

I would avoid books like Thirty Years A Watchtower Slave by Schnell and Awake to the the Watchtower! by Doug Harris, or anything by Jerry Bergman, Walter Martin or the other hacks providing hatchet jobs on the Witnesses.

Slim

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit