Yates verdict

by sammielee24 74 Replies latest jw experiences

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I took this from where I posted it earlier because it was easier to do that than gather my thoughts again and repost here. I too decided last night after watching the video of Yates that I have every right to voice my opinion despite what felt like an assault on me and my character - an assault that (from reading other posts) left me feeling like I had just confronted the bully in the schoolyard. Very few posting on this topic have said quite simply that she should be put to death - but - if they did say that - it's their opinion and they are entitled to it. I can't say I disagree but then I may not agree - all I know is that right now I feel as if there has been no justice for those little kids. I saw the video and was struck by one thing only - despite the tears when she was asked what she would say to little Luke now - little Mary now - little John now - her response was 'I miss you'. I was in pain for those kids and was surprised when her response wasn't 'I'm sorry - I love you'. I thought about those little kids all last night and how much attention has been focused on what Andrea Yates needs and where she should spend her days, how much Rusty Yates has no problem letting everyone know he supports her and what the lawyers all think about her. Where is the voice of the little children? Who stands up for them? They've become invisible in the quest to ensure that Andrea Yates lives in the best place for her and quite frankly it makes me sick. She had mental problems long before she did this - so where are the rest of the people who should be held accountable - her husband, all the doctors, her clergy ...I'm so angry I could spit. She herself admitted on the video that the kids were frightened before this and I've been there - I know the feeling those little children would have endured - if I do sound cold, well maybe it's because I know what its like to be a child living in terror and held hostage with someones mental illness and my heart breaks for them. I don't pity her - sorry - I mourn the death of those kids. sammieswife.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

If I say something that has been said I am sorry. I am only posting as something to heal myself.

When my daughter was 5 months old, I divorced my husband of 10 years. My oldest was 8 yrs old.....youngest 5 months........5 children. My ex-husband made alot of money....that was not the problem. I had years of abuse from him.

At the time of the divorce, he became conveniently unemployed. So child support could not be set. I went from a healthy income to welfare. My stepdad committed suicide (who I was very close to emotionally) I began to drink and then committed fornication........then becoming disfellowshipped.

I cannot go into all the other hardships without writing a book, which I may do somtime, but I can tell you the stress level was unbelievable for me.

I think at anytime the teetering of my balance act could have put me over the edge. I can't tell what I might have been capable of, but I don't rule out anything Andrea Yates did.

Be careful that when you are standing that you could fall.

Andrea is a victim.......her children are victims. We as a society certainly need to protect ourselves from her. I think as I said before there is a great need to understand this behaviour. there are wicked cold blood murderers, and there are some so sick it is something I cannot comprehend.

My life is much lessed stressed now..........I looked back at the person I was and wondered how I ever managed it all. Certainly, my life choices would have been different if I had the luxury of clear thinking. The lives for my children would be different even now.

I think that murderers that are never sorry for what they have done..........well, I do think there is a place for capitol punishment. I find so much of things that happen in life hard to look at in black and white. I am glad we have brains to look at things and use discernement.

I do not think we can expect to exterminate all killers/sinners......That is not hereditary......not all of it........mental illness. We have to come to understand it, Identify the symptoms and behaviour........

There is probably a time in my life when I would have seen it right/wrong......but from my past experiances I no longer look at it that way.

My heart goes out to all that are victims of this sickness.

purps

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I can only imagine the private and daily hell she is going through. If I had done something like that, I would have ended my personal suffering when I could have.

• serendipity
    serendipity
    I can only imagine the private and daily hell she is going through.

If she truly, deeply realizes the horror of her actions, she will have a tough time living. Execution may have been more humane.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Just a final note on my initial observation of how we tend to treat men different from women in these type of cases. In the paper today, the sentencing for the man who murdered his twin 5 year girls was handed down - life in prison. This man was a bank manager who suffered severe depression for many, many years and was on a variety of different medications over that time to try and help him. From the outside he was successful, this was his 2nd marriage, he had the house, the family and all the appearances of the good life, except, that he suffered extreme clinical depression and as far as I recall he had been on leave from work while trying different meds for his condition. He stated that he believed he was not a good father, that he thought many times of killing himself and his children, he wanted better for them..and the story goes on and on. He ended up stabbing them to death while his wife was out of the house for a couple of hours..his statement at trial was to say how sorry he is - in between sobs. So what makes us treat men different? His mental illness was recorded over and again and long term - but why do we generally feel more consideration toward women in these cases? I'm not re-opening the debate, it just struck me as odd once again and perhaps even a bit unsettling that we (used in a general term) can apply different logic to what amounts to the same outcome from a mental illness. Thanks for all the different thoughts on the subject - I enjoy reading what everyone thinks. sammieswife.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit