Yates verdict

by sammielee24 74 Replies latest jw experiences

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

"If she was insane, and her husband knew it (due to his profession), he is the one who is guilty of murder.

Life in the loonie bin for her, death penalty for him.

J"

Are you serious? How could anyone predict that? Death penalty for him? Ridiculous.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

Lots of people felt Rusty Yates was somewhat responsible. Didn't he have his mother at the house all the time to help out? He was probably trying to handle the situation and never thought harm would come to the kids. Did she verbally threaten to harm them that he knew about?

The questions I want to ask are... what role did their church play in all of this? Was it ok to seek help from mental professionals or was that discouraged? The teachings of this religion really played a number on Andrea Yates, was it her mental instability alone that drove her to this or should church doctrine be looked at as a factor?

She shouldn't get death for this - she wasn't in her right mind. This wasn't a cold killing of 5 children for the insurance money. This wasn't even a rage killing.

I think a huge factor in the verdict was the whole "law and order" episode business. Those prosecutors shouldn't be allowed to keep practicing law. There should be a punishment for that sort of BS. I don't know if they ever got their wrists slapped or if they are still at it...

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I specifically avoided posting on this thread until I read more about it. I think the fact that she got away with the insanity plea in Texas tells me one of two things. Either she's an actress worthy of an Oscar, or she is really legally insane, because Texans seem to be able to see through the usual lawyer crap. Edited to add: Yes, the husbeand deserves to share in the culpability of these murders.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

The responses of people who want to pick on the mentally ill make me ill.

This jury did the right thing, just like the 3 other juries in the past two years here in Texas, who found child killing, bible delusional psychotic moms not guilty by reason of insanity did the right things.

• Warlock
    Warlock

It's the women who are mentally ill when they commit murder, but the men do it with sound mind and body. The verdict is a bunch of B.S.

Warlock

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Men tend to kill themselves along with the children.

• Confession
    Confession
    Sympathy for men who committ the same sort of crimes don't generally generate the same sort of response from the female community - even if there might have been mental distress prior to the event.

This is something I've noticed for many years. I do acknowledge that many (perhaps most) of those who identify themselves as females here have taken the hardline in reference to this woman. But quite a few do not. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I have noticed that people do not have the same sympathy for men who commit heinous crimes--even if extraordinary circumstances present themselves.

I sense a strong desire (in general) to believe that women are "good" and should be forgiven, while men are (too often) "bad" and no excuses should be made.

• sf
    sf

Tonight at 10 pm on PRIMETIME {ABC} they will be reviewing the verdict and showing videotapes never before seen of Yates.

sKally

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    The responses of people who want to pick on the mentally ill make me ill.

Hmmm...I haven't gotten the feeling that anyone here is picking on the mentally ill - that's a quantum leap I think! I do think there is something wrong with her ex husband - to say that you still visit your ex wife and it's okay that she killed all your kids, you understand, that's gotta make you wonder! They chat and talk about little things the kids did, that sort of warm and fuzzy stuff - only thing is - they can't chat about all those cute little things they are doing now cos she murdered them!!!!! He is in part, responsible for what has happened if he did force her to continue having children even though they were both advised against it because of her mental state but alas, there is no penalty for breeding. I guess I go back to wondering - what is the value of Andrea Yates today? Will she ever be a productive member of society? Will she ever hold a job? What will she contribute? Her life will be our financial responsibility if she remains in the hospital but what if she gets out? Personally (and speaking from experience) if the people in my life that were mentally ill had murdered me, I would want not want them to continue living since I know that they would have no remorse over what they had done at all. People who have a conscience or are healthy I think, do not murder their children, mentally ill people do - therefore, if one is truly mentally ill they will never have the same level of remorse that one who is not ill does. This is never to say that all mentally ill people murder anyone at all. The bigger question then becomes - what do we do with baby killers who all must be mentally ill to committ such a crime in the first place? sammieswife.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I don't think anyone is picking on the mentally ill.

About Andrea - I can sympathize with her because I had the same illness 2X. Each time it got worse. The women needed a nanny to help with the kids and to be medicated at all times. I do believe she was not in her right mind because what person can drown five kids and NOT be insane?

About the hubby and family - I hold them responsible in a way as their main concern should have been on those kids. If the hubby knew the wife was ill, he should have made sure she was never alone with them. She obviously was because she had time to drown them. He really dropped the ball.

Also, if she got post pard. after each kid - why in the name of God did she keep poping them out? Shouldn't the hubby have done something too to prevent this?

We had a really mentally ill young lady (24) in my last KH. She also had depression and then post pard. depression with all THREE of her kids. The hubby knew this after the first one. She got pregnant again a year later, then two years later. Her kids were all under 5 years old when she took an overdose of pills while her hubby was at work. He came home to find the kids crying for mom to wake up and a dead wife! I cannot understand why these people kept shooting out babies???????

I usually don't take such a strong stand but for me this is personal. I am thankful my hubby did the right thing by insisting I be medicated or not be around our kids. Lilly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit