WERE THERE ANY UNOFFICIAL STRANGE IDEAS IN YOUR CONGREGATION?

by badboy 50 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

any takers?

• jambon1
    jambon1

One elder said in a talk that it was ok to miss meetings sometimes! I had NEVER EVER heard that from the platform. Everyone was like

Apart from that, most seemed to believe in god which to me is a strange idea.

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

Back in early 1973 when I was (briefly) associated, there was plenty of talk about the imminence of the Big A and the unconditional acceptance of 1975 as being the far limit to its occurance.

But, there was this closely kept rumor that someone high-up had discovered that it was to come in 1974 at the latest. The semi-official response was "not to speculate on 1974", although there was no such advice to not speculate on 1975.

Years later when I read _Crisis of Conscience_ I found out that Fred Franz did come up with the claim that 1974 was going to be the end limit, but others in the governing body dissuaded him from publicizing his "discovery".

But Freddie's "new light" managed to sneak out, at least to some congregagtions.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Some poor chaps in my hall believed in Incubi and Succubi. Really.

• delilah
    delilah

Yes, about 120 of 'em.

• done4good
    done4good

A friend's cong. (and several others in the Midwest), had been shocked by the fact that Witnesses were actually firefighters in NYC during 9/11. Supposedly, they felt it was wrong to hold such as job, as someone was risking their life and could incur possible bloodguilt. Evidently other people's lives don't count as worthwile to be saved.

j

• juni
    juni

Could only watch G-rated movies. Even though the elder who gave the talk watched PG-13.

Juni

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I know of a JW firefighter. To my knowledge nothing was ever said to him. But then again, he was something of a novalty. The only black man in an all white congregation.

As far as the local strange idea... 2005 as the new Armageddon date

Jesus was 30 when he started his mission...

David was 30 when he became king...

Adam was assumed 30 when Eve came along...

1975 plus 30 is 2005! Yes! That's it, 2005 will bring Armageddon! Doah! It's 2006!

• mjs mouse, ben
    mjs mouse, ben

I don't think this is an overall congregation practice(maybe so!) but I know of a "strong" JW family that will watch movies such as "Hell Boy", "Xmen" etc..and even let ther kids play games such as "Halo" or any other violent game, but refuse to watch "Passion of the Christ", go figure, lol.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    I don't think this is an overall congregation practice(maybe so!) but I know of a "strong" JW family that will watch movies such as "Hell Boy", "Xmen" etc..and even let ther kids play games such as "Halo" or any other violent game...

Sounds like a cool fam to me... There's one family that has a problem with dragons. If you have any clothes with dragons on them, they will ask you to turn it inside out, or not wear it around them in the future.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit