my daughter leaves for the ARMY thursday

by purplesofa 34 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I have four sons and my youngest is a daughter.

She leaves for the army on Thursday. I am in a state of panic and emotion to try to convince her to not go.

I just heard on tv that becuase of the rising violence in Bahgdad, Bush is sending more troops to Iraq. The developments in Isreal and Lebanon only seem to be escalating.......the UN asking Britian and US for help but because of prior commitments......(Iraq) are unable. I think they are sending 10,000 troops but apparently the UN is asking for more.

What would you tell your 19 yr old friend, daughter, sister, cousin, Aunt.........that was getting ready to leave for the Army, knowing that they can back out until they say their oath before getting on the plane to leave for bootcamp.

I am sorry for the imposition.............but I am almost to the point of throwing myself in front of the plane.....tieing her up and going to Mexico.

purps

• love11
    love11

Find out why she wants to go so bad, what is pushing her to do this?

Tell her you will pay for college if she just stays. You can make really good money and still qualify for free schooling from grants on the fafsa.gov web site. Just fill it in. Fafsa will contact the school to let them know how much schooling she can get for free. I don't want to disclose too much, but my husband makes over twenty an hour and I still qualified to have all of my schooling for free. Books and all. Make it easy on her to stay here.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Actually, a lot of my NON-JW family is in the military, I have a cousin who is just about to join also, I would tell them that I am proud of you, take all that you can from it, go see the world. You should be proud of her, I do understand your fear that something bad could happen but hell at least she is not wanting to go to bethel

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

uhhhg purple I dont know what to say. I know that's gotta be a tough situation.

What would you tell your 19 yr old friend

"I love you hun." There's not much else you can say, that I can see.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Well the twins are witnesses, so I don't have to worry about that (uh-hum). The youngest is 16 year's old and they are sending her recruitment letters all ready! My husband said I all ready gave a leg for the country so you CAN'T go! And he said that in a very military way! I have all girls, btw.

• parakeet
    parakeet

I know a guy who was Air National Guard his whole adult life. He served in Vietnam, Panama, and the first Gulf War. He and his entire unit contracted Gulf War Syndrome, and for the past 15 years all of them have slowly sickened; some have died. This guy is now in almost constant pain and his mind has recently become affected.
    The military has never acknowledged his illness, let alone accept that it was contracted in a war zone. When he became unable to do his job (about 8 years ago), they hustled him out on an extremely reduced pension, since he was not to have retired for another 10 years.
    Last year, the military discovered they made an error in the paperwork regarding his pension. They want to reduce the pension and are asking for a $26,000 refund for overages they claim they paid him during his retirement so far.
    Because he is unable mentally or physically to challenge anything that's been done to him, his wife is now responsible for handling all the paperwork and appeals. She contacted her local Congressman about this latest pension fiasco early this year. So far nothing has been done.
    I'm proud of our soldiers and the important work they do, but I'm very aware that the military regards them as disposable and will never acknowledge that it may be responsible for causing harm to them.
    My son went through a brief phase in his teens about wanting to join the military. All we had to do was point to this guy and say, "This is how the military treated him. It could happen to you too." My son went to college instead.

• damselfly
    damselfly

((((purps))))

Just I love you and stay safe I guess.

Dams

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

I think everyone else has said it--if she's made up her mind, then you can only honor her decision and be there for her.

In the meantime, we'll all try to be here for you. I can only imagine how difficult this is for you. I'm so sorry.

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    Actually, a lot of my NON-JW family is in the military, I have a cousin who is just about to join also, I would tell them that I am proud of you, take all that you can from it, go see the world. You should be proud of her, I do understand your fear that something bad could happen but hell at least she is not wanting to go to bethel

Amen to that! We sleep safe at night because good men (and women) stand ready to do violence on our behalf. This applies to the military and the police forces of this country. I say give her a huge hug, and wish her the best.

• oldflame
    oldflame

I am sorry to hear but I think there will be a draft soon enough and they would just take her anyways.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit