I corinthians chapter 11 verse 17 onwards???

by evergreen 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• evergreen
    evergreen

Ok, i was reading this chapter today in my back garden and was astounded at what i had just read. Every year as long as i have been a witness vs 28 is mentioned that a man should examine himself under scutiny before eating the bread and drinking the wine. Obviously implying that only the anointed are to partake of the emblems etc.

But reading this whole passage in context, Paul appears to be explaining that the Brothers in the Corinthian congregation werent taking the Lords supper seriously and that some were eating the bread quickly as they were hungry and some were even drunk and just wanting to drink the wine. That appears to be the gist of what he is trying to say here and therefor telling them that they should treat the Lords supper in a serious way,ie remembering the Death of their saviour.

Thus he was warning them that they should examine themselves beforehand and not be in a state of hunger or intoxicated partaking in such an important event.

Also no other bible mentions the words "under scrutiny" in vs 28 as the NWT does

Does evryone else see it that way or are there other scriptures to back up the WT view that the anointed are the only ones to partake of the Lords supper (examining themselves before hand under scrutiny)?

• Honesty
    Honesty

I am agreement with your findings.

If only a few are supposed to eat and drink of Christ's flesh and blood why did He say the following?

John 6:35-37 “I am the bread of life,” Jesus told them. “No one who comes to Me will ever be hungry, and no one who believes in Me will ever be thirsty again. But as I told you, you’ve seen Me, and yet you do not believe. Everyone the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will never cast out. John 6:51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread he will live forever. The bread that I will give for the life of the world is My flesh.” John 6:53-56 So Jesus said to them, “ I assure you : Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you do not have life in yourselves. Anyone who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day, because My flesh is real food and My blood is real drink. The one who eats My flesh and drinks My blood lives in Me, and I in him.

Why did Paul say the following?

Romans 8:9 You, however, are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, since the Spirit of God lives in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.

• Flash
    Flash

The Amplified Bible for the same verses also emphasizes eating / partaking respectfully, even so, I agree with the logic of the Witnesses concerning the Two Hopes. Jesus when on earth preached 'the kingdom of the heavens has drawn near' which is very differant from his stressing that we pray for God's kingdom to come on earth. The Little Flock and Other Sheep are distinctly seperate groups, and although I'm not convinced that the Annointed were called exclusively first, I do believe the Annointed are the only ones Jesus made a 'covenant for a kingdom' and should be eating at the memorial.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch
    The Amplified Bible for the same verses also emphasizes eating / partaking respectfully, even so, I agree with the logic of the Witnesses concerning the Two Hopes.

Whoever was writing in Paul's name, apparently thought otherwise according to the following renditions:

There is but one body and but one Spirit, as also when you were called you had one and the same hope held out to you. Ephesians 4:4 --- Weymouth NT
    There is one body and one Spirit, even as you have been marked out by God in the one hope of his purpose for you Ephesians 4:4 --- Basic English Bible
  • praiseband
    praiseband

I have posted regarding those who partook in the first Lord's Supper previously. Read all four gospels carefully about the subject. Matthew, Mark and Luke ALL INCLUDE JUDAS. John does not include the eucharist. It may not be word for word the same, but the story is the same in this instance in the NWT and other versions. Then read the section of the JW book "What Does the Bible Really Teach?" on this subject (it is listed in the table of contents). The JW book tells you Judas had left, but as you will find, he clearly had not. I attended the memorial this year also and the speaker repeated the same false info. He clearly had not studied his Bible. Here's the big question....do you believer Judas is one of the annointed? Or is there far more to the eucharist than only being a part of a special select group of people? Is it truly a communion (a bonding of community) and God's/Jesus's way of bonding with that community - all of it? At that time, even though he was to soon betray Jesus, he had not done it yet. I believe Jesus was telling Judas that he loved him and wanted to have that bond with him - it was unconditional love.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Flash, I have to disagree and recommend you consider the information at http://jwfacts.com/index_files/greatcrowd.htm

Jesus said the Little Flock and Other Sheep become "One Flock". This referred to Christianity being open to both the little flock of Jews and the other sheep that were to come from the Gentiles. There is nothing to suggest that these terms have anything to do with the 144,000 and Great Crowd of Revelation.

The scriptures quoted say that all need to partake, it does not say only the Kings and Priests are worthy of Jesus as mediator and the new covenant. In the times of the Israelites the covenant and Moses mediatorship was open to all, the king, the priests, the general Jewish population and also Gentiles that choose to join with the Jews.

The Watchtower definition as introduced by Rutherford is common amongst cults, as it gives power to the leaders.

• glitter
    glitter

The Little Flock and Other Sheep are distinctly seperate groups, and although I'm not convinced that the Annointed were called exclusively first, I do believe the Annointed are the only ones Jesus made a 'covenant for a kingdom' and should be eating at the memorial.

So despite almost 2000 years of good people with genuine Christian faith, the early Christian days of mass baptisms, steadfastness in the face of really awful persecution, etc, you think it's even *feasible* that there are still enough spots left in heaven for 8/9,000 people to be the only living annointed?

• moomanchu
    moomanchu
    Thus he was warning them that they should examine themselves beforehand and not be in a state of hunger or intoxicated partaking in such an important event.

I agree, and it's so obvious after it hasn't been filtered through the watchtower.

I forget, is there other scriptures they use to keep people from partaking?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The reason the Other Sheep can't partake is that the WTS says they are not part of the New Covenant and partaking indicates being part of the New Covenant. Of course, no scripture says that the New Covenant is not open to eveyone. It was simply one of Rutherfords control techniques.

• evergreen
    evergreen

Honesty, i am glad you understand where i am coming from on this point.

JWFacts, i am in agreement with you in that the small flock obviously meant the ones who accepted Jesus as the messiah from the Jewish nation and then the other flock were the people of the nations or gentiles, and that the 2 would become one flock. It is so obvious.

All christians were meant to partake of the lords supper and find it fascinating though not surprised that Rutherford was behind the teaching regarding the 2 flocks as believed to be WT view today.

I do not deny that there are those chosen to rule with Christ as Kings over or possibly upon the earth as mentioned in Rev 5:10, and that the rest will inherit the earth as promised.

I am currently reading the bible through starting with the new testament and it all seems straight forward to me. But i can also see how certain scriptures can so easily be twisted to fit in to a doctrine or teaching such as this paticular one in Corinthians.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit