Should Jehovah's Witnesses Be Allowed to Adopt Children?

by TMS 49 Replies latest jw friends

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

My thoughts on this are complicated. On the one hand I wouldn't want them raised in the cult, on the other what is the alternative? Not all families are good not all families are bad that's a simple fact of life! Being raised a witness wasn't the end of the world!

You also need to take into consideration the fact that;

A) There is little to no chance they will stay in
    B) There is a fairly good chance the family that adopts them will be leaving soon anyway
    C) It's one more member of the apostate club in 20 years! That can't be a bad thing!

Can the state place any restrictions on an adoption? Like the blood issue? Can the state say, "If emergency blood transfusion is needed then were giving it and tough titty for you!"

I knew a JW family that adopted a lot of kids in NY the father turned out to be abusing all of them (serious abuse, ie rape) he never raped any of his OWN children just the adopted ones (boys and girls) he left the witnesses and became an "apostate" he's a pastor at some evangelical church up there now. I know of another family (mother witness father not) that had 14 kids and the father had sex with all his daughters even fathering two children with them. So who's to say? Some families just suck! Others don't it's a hard issue to call!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I do not disagree on any of the statements made here. I know the truth of them.

I just personally feel a need to put freedom of religion above societal restrictions. Many other situations could be alluded to that would make our skin crawl while contemplating them.

Should we then implement laws that remove the children of cults from the parents? Who decides what cults are included? The children would be better off wouldn't they if removed from JW's, Amish homes? How about the homes of right wing [another subjective] Muslims? Perhaps some of these children would be taught that 'jihad' against the infidels is acceptable?

Why would natural and adoptive parents be seperate from such laws? If it is bad for adopted children it is bad [or maybe worse] for natural children. Let's get them all out of these destructive cults. Perhaps the next step would be forced sterilization for those who select non approved religions?

Do you see where I am going? The Catholics killed hundreds of thousands in the purges of the dark ages. Saddam decided it was acceptable to gas Kurds due to them being of less importance than his other people.

All I am saying is that if we start to take away rights from parents [adoptive or natural] based on some subjective opinion that persons of one religion or another, or of one sexual orientation or another, or of one skin color or another, we open a legislative nightmare in which rights are trampled upon based on the same judgementalism that Jw's use. Once that floodgate opens - history has comfirmed where it always goes - people are oppressed and mistreated, not based on objective personal criterion, but instead on the basis of religion or orientation of some sort that society judges unfit.

It is a proven scientific fact that alcoholism is more frequent among the children of alcoholics as example. Do we wish to prevent then all children of alcoholic parents from adopting children due the higher probability that the children will be subjected to abuse and danger in the household? Some of these children may in turn become alcoholic if we allow that. But at the time of adoption should we not measure instead the individual and his qualities, not judge him on his religion or race?

If it could be demonstrated in some way that children adopted by persons of a particular ethnicity progress slower and become criminals more frequently, do we ban adopting to parents of that ethnicity too? It could be demonstrated with statistics that certain ethnic groups make up the majority of poverty in some areas. Do we ban adoption to that race due to the possible dangers to the child of being poor, in spite of the fact that most persons appying to adopt are not poor? And most likely will not become poor due to race?

Even on this forum we have encountered hundreds of mature adults who have stated that as witnesses they would not have allowed their children to die without blood transfusions as example. They did not isolate them from society in general. Many sent their children to college. While it is true that the religion itself has beliefs that society in general does not agree with - do we wish to dictate to others what religion they can or cannot practice in order to achieve the same privilages as general society?

Society that chooses to discriminate based on the factors stated - in any area not just adoption - are setting themselves up for a future in which rights and privilages will be routinely denied to persons based on position, color, or street address. It is a pandora's box to begin taking rights away from others based on these reasons.

Not too long ago in America it was illegal for black people to adopt white children. Let's not take away rights from anyone based on race, religion or origin. It is too dangerous a trend and often irreversable. I speak of Macro not Micro here.

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Looking at my posts here I see I have stepped on my civil rights soapbox. Sorry.

I will leave it be as this sort of thing angers me at times and there is no point in that. I am off to have a coffee and a read of the rags.

Jeff

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    should we not measure instead the individual and his qualities, not judge him on his religion or race?

Jeff - while I agree with much of what you say, I don't always think its so easy to define the absolute ethics or morals of all society. How can you not measure an individual by his religion or race, if those things make the man who he is and totally define his own ethics. If a religion spews hatred for all others not of their religion and that is the way the adult lives their lives, is it right to subject a child to the ethics, morals and values of that religion? We are not talking about people producing their own children - we are speaking of children being brought into the environment. If a person lives their life with racial hatred or superiority (there are no boundaries on culture or colour) then why allow a child to be brought into the ethics, morals and values of that family? I don't see that as discrimination. It can be a slippery slope certainly but just as no child should be allowed to be brought into any abusive household, the same should work for any religious household that can be deemed just as abusive. Witnesses have no respect for others in the world. They are forced to mingle in order to work, but they do not socialize with others. They are taught that people in the world have no morals, that they are no more than pigs in a barnyard to put it bluntly. Many are home schooled so as to avoid contamination from kids in the world. They are raised with fear, guilt and low self esteem. They are pushed to marry inside the organization and punished if they don't. They are advised to refrain from education that provides a financial future for them and any family they might have. They are not loved unconditionally. We might say that all these things exist in other families not just JW's, but if you recognize any of these things before a child is placed, do we not have a right to protect the child? Would I allow a child to be placed in a home where I knew he/she would be subjected to regular beatings in the name of religion or culture? No. Would I allow a child to be adopted into a family who believed for religious or cultural reasons, that they should mutiliate their female children? No. Would I want a child to be adopted into a family who believed that it was okay to have sex with your daughters for some religious or cultural reason? No. The list could go on and on...but it boils down to what definies us ethically and why. You loved your daughter and have no doubt been a wonderful father, but I think we've all heard how many mothers and fathers tell their kids how much they love them and at the same time they are shunning them - sometimes for the rest of their lives and that is abuse in no uncertain terms. As someone who could never have children, I understand very clearly the desire and reasons for adoption ..but IMHO unless some of the basic doctrines of the JW's were to change, I wouldn't see adoption into a JW family as being in the best interest of a child. sammieswife.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

The issue comes down to a basic one, that of choice.
    As we all know most JW families do not give their children choice with regards to religion (which is present in many differant relgious groups like JWs). Children for example when baptized at the age of 13 or 14 do not understand that they are basically saying that they will continue to believe whatever the Watchtower prints the rest of their life without question and if they do they can be cut off from their family. Of course, most adults who join the JW ranks don't really know this either.
    So this is at the heart of the issue. Should JWs be able to take in young children, convert them, keep them in fear and respect of their religious authority?
    If the state decided it wasn't in the best interest of the child to go into a JW home I would say that is wrong. JWs have the same rights as does everybody else. The problem isn't with the people, it's with the leadership. Good parents are good parents and bad parents are bad parents. To try and divide adoption on the basis of religion is a really bad idea.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I don't believe in taking civil rights away from people based on religion or anything else. Take the religion out and make everyone and I mean EVERYONE take a "fitness to be a parent" test. Now you have it. People put more thought into whether or not to get a dog than whether or not they can afford or take care of children. Don't get me started!

Sherry

• greendawn
    greendawn

Given their cultic nature they shouldn't adopt children because they will almost certainly be exposed to the negative pressures of this organisation as so many members born into it have admitted.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

I don't think anyone from a cult should be allowed to adopt. I feel adoption agencies should add it to the extensive list of their restrictions definitely.

I can't imagine growing up in a JW family and then finding out I was adopted and the adoption agency knew they were JWs and let them adopt anyway. I would be so pissed off.

Although, that doesn't mean a JW family can't be one of those rare families that are actually ok - you know the kind - they pick and choose what they will and won't do and they are probably ok in some cases.

Does anyone know if a non-JW family who has adopted a child is allowed to become a JW after the adoption?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Raising a child is probably the most important responsibility a person can undertake. It's bad enough that society can't prohibit JWs from reproducing, but at the very least they should not be allowed to adopt someone else's children, and ruin their lives.

W

• whatlite?
    whatlite?

Technically, for a "witness family" to give a child in need a home would be "associating with the world". The child is a worldly person.

I have heard many talk like this. SICK SICK people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit