Should Jehovah's Witnesses Be Allowed to Adopt Children?

by TMS 49 Replies latest jw friends

• TMS
    TMS

Religion, race, sexual orientation etc. are not legal barriers to adoption in most areas.

But knowing what you know now, if you were part of the decision-making process, would you be inclined to facillitate JW's to adopt? Or would you discreetly steer things in another direction, knowing the difficulties that children of JW's will experience?

Just a few of the factors: the blood issue, the anti-higher education views, the high-control and guilt JW's face, the lack of social development.

tms

ps I accidentally posted the "experiences" section, instead of "friends". Perhaps, a moderator will be kind enough to make the correction.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Wow, interesting question.
    I'll give it some thought.

• carla
    carla

There was a thread about this awhile back I think.

I would say no, they should not be able to adopt if the decision was mine to make. I know many here had nice lives with their jw families growing up. But look around, why are they here now? Their families won't have anything to do with them. Aside from the medical issues the pedophile issues and any other harm to ones physical being, the emotional well being must be looked at with equal or even more standing. Think back to the many threads about growing up in the org. How could anyone wish that lifestyle upon an innocent child?

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

I have to agree with Carla. I wish it wasn't an issue. I wish the JWs would teach their children what they believe and then let them make up their own mind, but they don't. They keep forcing their beliefs for as long as the child lives with them, and if the child has a different viewpoint it's shut down immediately and the child is punished for having a mind. Through guilt, shunning, sometimes even physical punishment.

Whatever rights anyone has to adopt, compared to the child's wellbeing it's insignificant. It makes me mad thinking about the children being raised as JWs now, if I had the power to stop that happening I would certainly use it, no questions asked.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

No but JW children should have the option to adopt new parents that won;t submit them to brainwashing and guilt-tripping and ostracism from society.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

No matter what I know and have experienced as a Witness for over 40 years - my convictions in favor of non-discrimnation remain.

If we start shutting the door on matters of this nature, where do we stop? The Amish, Pentacostals, certain Baptist groups, Muslims, and a ton of others are less than mainstream from my perspective in many areas. I have met persons from other religions that have felt just as traumatised by the strict religious upbringing they had. Steve Hassan was victimised by a group completely seperate from Jw's, yet he felt the same pain and agony and mental bondage that witnesses feel. Where would we draw the line? I have a few neighbors who are unfit parents and would in my opinion be unfit to adopt - yet they have never been Jw's.

NO - if I had the power to make the calls, I would do all I could to assure that discrimination and the associated pain that comes to a society that sets itself up to judge others based on religion, sexual orientation, national origin did not happen. Observation of other societies that have done so - Nazi Germany, Stalin's Russia has shown where this kind of thinking can go.

While I agree that children would be better off raised in a more center minded household in some of the ways stated, I defend the right of others to believe and teach thier children as they see fit, as long as it is moral and ethical to do so.

To do any less is to surrender our freedom and return to a society that dictates by judgement who is worhty to live and die, who is worthy to be respected and allowed to decide for oneself what and how to teach thier children. I don't want to live in a society like that - even if the religion of Jehovah's witnesses was completely eliminated. Remember Hitler sought to eliminate them too. He failed not because he attacked the Jews and Jw's - but because the world saw his rulership for what it was - slavery and control far more dangerous than the sects and religions that he sought to destroy.

Wifey and I - by way of background - know from where we speak. We adopted our child. We were Jw's. We loved her and raised her the best we could. We went through alot of background checks that seemed addressed at our religion. We were just a couple of young people who wanted a child to love, cherish. We would have missed out on much in life, in spite of our religion at the time, had we been denied due to our faith. Jw's are still people, with real needs. I think we sometimes forget that.

Aside from all that - Jw's would just consider any effort to do as you suggest as persecution that further proves them to be God's people. Just treat them like people and they will self destruct in time no doubt as a culture. They are individuals that have been duped. In some ways that can be said of all of us in one way or another, can't it?

Jeff

• vitty
    vitty

I think my reasonable side would say of course they should, no one should be discriminated by race or religion. But since I know the damage done to little children and the longterm suffering ..............shunning, fear of armageddon, closing down to any religion........I say they should NEVER;NEVER be allowed to adopt a precious shild.

• vitty
    vitty

Sorry Jeff, Ive just read your post and im sure you gave you daughter a loving home. But you are exceptional, you must, be your out.!

As a parent I brought my children up with my fear of Armageddon, and with a very strange outlook on the rest of the world. I have to live with that guilt and I would want any child placed in that position. We did normal things holidays, going to restaurants and stuff but we were still witness and of course I loved them but I worry about the long term effect of being brought up that way and I have to live with legacy that I gave my daughter.............shes still in the lie....................and hating every minute of it.................but she still thinks its the truth !!!

• carla
    carla

I defend the right of others to believe and teach thier children as they see fit--

The point is these are not their children, the children are wards of the state. While it does sound like discrimination due to relgious beliefs we do need to keep the best interest of the child in mind. Not that parents want a child, that is secondary. I could not in all good conscience ever let a jw couple adopt a child knowing what I know now. The mental abuse inflicted by the society and in turn by the parents is too great.

Besides, the jw parents are not being completely honest in their acceptance of the child with authorities. In normal society if one has a child (by adoption or natural) it is assumed this is a lifelong relationship. The dishonesty comes with the jw rules on shunning. If the court could ask, 'is there any reason in the forseeable future that you could abandon this child?" If the jw were honest they would have to say yes, 'the minute that child decides that the wt is not God's org, then I will have nothing more to do with this child'. The jw is discriminating on the basis of religion too if you think about it.

The mental abuse by the wt far outweighs the conditional love a jw couple could give a child.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    No matter what I know and have experienced as a Witness for over 40 years - my convictions in favor of non-discrimnation remain.

Its nothing to do with discrimination its about protecting the paramount interests of the child or children concerned.

The question should be rephrased to ask.

Is it within the childs best interests for them to be adopted by a Jehovahs Witness couple?

I think we would have a convincing argument as to the negative, dont you?

DB74

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit