What if we wrote letters to the Society.....

by Lady Liberty 27 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Goodmorning all and "Happy Saturday"!!

I recently had a very upsetting conversation regarding my stand with my active Aunt. For 4 hours I tried to reason with her on many issues. I brought to her attentionmany things, but one was the Societys UN involvement. Of course she gasped and said that was apostate, that the Society would NEVER be involved with something like that! The typical JW denial responce.

I have been inactive for over a year and a half, with no intention of EVER going back to such decipt. But I was just thinking.... What if all of us who can, write the Society and address certain issues, like the U.N. involvement, like the Mexico/Malawi issue, like having kept stock willed to them, like the cigarette company stock that they are benefiting from etc..

That way, we would have the copy of the original letter written to the Society from us individually, plus their reply. If the letter is written in a kind manner, just asking for an explanation, showing the proof of their involvement that has been brought to our attention, then they would probably reply wouldn't they? That way, we would have original copies to show our loved ones still in, as the Society would be acknowleging their involvement by simply trying to excuse their actions.

My family still in has refused me to show them anything from the internet. "Where did you get that!!" Never mind it may be factual. They are out to attack the messanger, not the message. So.. if we could reply, "This is straight from the Society, in reply to my letter to them". They would have to acknowlege the postmarked envelope etc. Just maybe, then we would be able to get them to listen.

Anyhow...what do you guys think? Of course, as you know, any kind of letter written to the Society will automatically alert the local elders of your letter, and may even spur on a unwanted visit or call to set up a visit. But for those of you who are like me, I will not play their game any longer. I am DONE meeting. So....what are your thoughts??

SIncerely,

Lady Liberty

• jgnat
    jgnat

I like it. But for a different reason. As a career government employee, I appreciate the time and resources that are tied up in responding to letters like these. I know the UN-NGO representative PLEADS in his letters to JW's to stop ASKING for a written response. I know because I've got one of those letters from the UN myself. I figure, why should the UN pay for the naturally suspicious mind of the JW? Make the Watchtower pay.

I notice another poster was warned it could take six months to respond. So what? As long as that paper is in the system, I guarantee you, it is causing someone work at HQ. And organization as bureacratic as the WTBTS can't just THROW such a paper away, it must be PROCESSED and CLASSIFIED and ROUTED to the appropriate responder. You can help the process along by addressing a single issue in a single letter. This can double or triple the amount of processing the WTBTS has to do on your behalf.

Or, suggest your friends write the society themselves. I suggest the LENGTH it takes the WTBTS to respond should be an eye-opener for your friends as well. Watchtower Bible & Tract Society of Ny Incorporated 25 Columbia Hts
    Brooklyn, NY 11201

Fax: (718) 560-5619

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

You can help the process along by addressing a single issue in a single letter. This can double or triple the amount of processing the WTBTS has to do on your behalf.

Dear JGNAT,

Exactly what I was thinking too! But I was thinking that if you wrote a letter for every issue, then they would more likely reply. Rather than seeing a letter full of different questions that they could easily ignore, by only addressing one issue. If there was a different letter for every issue, then if they replied, then they would have to address each and every issue at hand.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• carla
    carla

I'd be happy to be thorn in their behind. Not being a jw I don't think they will answer but I'm willing to lend my paperwork to their load. I'll be nice. I'd like to see a response to if they are still associate members of the UN.

• parakeet
    parakeet

I think it would be a waste of time and paper. The WTS would toss such letters after reading the first few lines. The only positive thing it might accomplish would be to increase the Society's waste removal costs.

It's a good idea in principle, but in practice it would accomplish nothing, IMO.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

This may be relevant to your question. I am now looking at a copy of a letter I composed shortly after I DA'd myself. This letter I, in turn, convinced one of my neighbors to send to the society. The date was 12/10/1978. I'll transcribe a bit of it here.
    Remember, this was pre-internet days.
    "Gentlemen:

I've read some publications recently which quote from, and even present to the reader in photostat form, "pages" of some of your older literature. I find this literature is not available at my local library for reference.

I would like to have verified the authenticity of some of the quotations before attempting to draw any conclusions. Therefore, I believe the only fair way to do it is to ask the publisher who is "supposed" to be the originator. Your reply on this will be sincerely appreciated. The quotations are as follows:

(snip, snip .. quotations ranged from Faithful and Discreet Slave teaching flip flops to Millions booklet prediction of 1925, etc, snip, snip)

My questions are:
    1. Are the above statements accurately quoted?

2. If not, exactly where do they deviate from being accurate?

Yours truly,

RB"

My point to all this is this -- neighbor RB never received a response from Brooklyn. She did, however, receive a visit from two older fellows in suits and ties, who quickly determined she was not interested in studying with them in the conventional way, that she just a trouble-maker.

Fats

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Sounds like a great idea.

Does the WT really respond to all letters? I've never written the society but I might do this.

Do the elders really get notified and come a knockin cause I am only faded and I wouldn't want them back snoopin around.

Maybe the more gifted writers could do form letters on the different topics fill in your name and address.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

It's an interesting idea, but I doubt you'd get much of a reply, if any. What you'd more likely get is a visit from a couple of elders to ask you why you were posing such questions.

If a jw wrote about the Mexico/Malawi issue, I suspect they'd be more than a little interested in how you knew about Mexico. As far as I know, the wts not surprisingly never made that public, but Ray Franz did in Crisis of Concience, not exactly recommended reading for jws.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I don't care about the reply. My interest is adding to the administrative burden at HQ. Parakeet, I must respectfully disagree, based on my twenty years in the civil service:

The WTS would toss such letters after reading the first few lines.

1. Someone had to open the letter. In a buraucracy that person would not have the authority to throw ANYTHING out.
    2. The first few lines would be read for subject matter, and slotted for review by someone else. Again, the CLASSIFIER would not have the authority to toss, as this person's job is to review VOLUMES of incoming material as quickly as possible.
    3. The letter would have to be delivered to someone in authority to respond/toss.
    4. A decision would have to be made; respond, ignore, or send the elders?
    5. Only in the second option would the WT's work be done.

All this administration takes TIME and RESOURCES, at least three people. Also, if dedicated witnesses send in these questions on our behalf, and receive no reply back, how does HQ stack up then?

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

When I was an elder and anyone in our territory wrote a letter to the Society, the body of elders was sent notice of that. I can't remember if they sent us a copy of the original letter or not, but they certainly wrote and asked us to call on the person and deal with their questions personally.

S4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit