How tolerant are you?

by nicolaou 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I was just skimming through LT's intolerance thread and it seemed to me that sometimes tolerance is a terrible thing.

We don't tolerate racism, sexism or abuse and punish it when we can. We expose and ridicule individuals and corporations if they are found guilty of fraud or deceit because we are intolerant of dishonesty. But in certain areas it seems you must be tolerant - whether you want to be or not.

I want the freedom to be an intolerant and grumpy old git!! I want to ridicule those inane telemarketers that always call me when I'm having my dinner, and why do they ask me how I am?!! Who the hell are they and why do they care? Get lost, I cannot tolerate you.

Idiots with bluetooth gadgets sprouting from their ears having loud conversations into thin air! Twats driving while on their mobile phones, morons smoking in no-smoking areas, kids who talk in cinemas - line up all of you and let me give you all a bloody good thrashing - I cannot tolerate you!

And there's so much more - bad service, lazy, workshy benefit cheats, anti-intellectualism and the dumbing down of society. Big Brother!! Holy crap I think I'll go live on some deserted rock because I just cannot tolerate the idiocy much longer.

tolerate that!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Then of course there's the religionists, I mean, we have to be tolerant of other peoples faiths don't we?

Oh god don't get me started.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

LOL...........more of the real you coming out since your new avatar????

lol........i agree btw

• Warlock
    Warlock

Not very.

Sometimes I'm glad I'm probably not going to be around in 50 or 60 years. How tolerant is society going to be by then?

I should have lived during the Roman Empire.

Warlock

• skeptic2
    skeptic2

Then of course there's the religionists, I mean, we have to be tolerant of other peoples faiths don't we? Oh god don't get me started.

Tolerance cuts both ways, would you rather other people's religion and views were imposed on you? Or if they are, are you happy about it?

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

"Tolerance" as difined by Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: tol·er·ance
    Pronunciation: 'tä-l&-r&n(t)s, 'täl-r&n(t)s
    Function: noun
    1 : capacity to endure pain or hardship : ENDURANCE, FORTITUDE, STAMINA
    2 a : sympathy or indulgence for beliefs or practices differing from or conflicting with one's own b : the act of allowing something : TOLERATION
    3 : the allowable deviation from a standard; especially : the range of variation permitted in maintaining a specified dimension in machining a piece
    4 a (1) : the capacity of the body to endure or become less responsive to a substance (as a drug) or a physiological insult especially with repeated use or exposure <developed a tolerance to painkillers>; also : the immunological state marked by unresponsiveness to a specific antigen (2) : relative capacity of an organism to grow or thrive when subjected to an unfavorable environmental factor b : the maximum amount of a pesticide residue that may lawfully remain on or in food

Tolerance allows for debate without the threat or implication of violence. It also allows for the debate of opposing viewpoints without shouting them down as hate mongering. Tolerance allows for criticism of another's belief. Tolerance is a good thing, but not in its current connotation.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

That thread is a good month old, Nic. Whatever made you think of "skimming through" it?

I'm generally pretty tolerant, except when I see folks being generally obnoxious and/or hurting people I care about. In those instances, woe betide them...

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

You mean it's not ok if I knock on your door when you're not home and tell our latest porkies to your children ?

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

Not very tolerant at all and getting worse the older I get.

For evidence, see the "My Meeting with the Elders..." thread

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    Re: How tolerant are you?

Well, I have agnostic/athiest leaning... But I Love Reggae music.....

,Mike

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit